Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter is coming

Options
  • 19-11-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Any summit in the Dublin / Wicklow mountains will stay below zero degrees this weekend. Real feel temps on Lug down to -14C

Looking forward to some winter hiking this winter, maybe even when the peaks are covered in a layer of snow

What do I need on top of my normal hiking gear? Some sort of crampons for my boots? What do you recommend? Any links? Any dangers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've never personally felt the need for crampons for anything I've done in Wicklow, although I did fall flat on my arse a couple of times on top of Camaderry one winter when it was covered in sheet ice after a thaw / freeze cycle, when they might have been useful, but probably a bit of overkill :) If you were doing more adventurous winter walking in other areas say in the west of Ireland, then maybe, but that's not really my thing.

I'd say the main thing is just plenty of warm clothing with extra layers in your rucksack just in case you need to be standing still for any length of time for whatever reason, warm gloves, fleece hat, fleece buff/neckwarmer, a flask with a warm drink, that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I was thinking something like this Alun:

Now we might not see snow like that on Lug or anywhere else in Ireland for years to come, but if it happens again, I'd like to go for a walk :)

Hardly an 'extreme winter climb' to be honest, more of an average winter walk. It is winter yes, but it's bright and sunny and visibility is good. I've been up there in much worse conditions than that. I'd say on that day, the most 'extreme' part of the trip would have been the drive to start.

So have I but not in that much snow. I'm sure there would have been some serious ice too. You reckon you'd be fine on normal boots in that?

unkel wrote: »
    So have I but not in that much snow. I'm sure there would have been some serious ice too. You reckon you'd be fine on normal boots in that?
    Yes, no need for crampons or snowshoes. Even on the open, windswept parts there'll still usually be a thin dusting of snow which will give you enough purchase with normal boots. Just try and avoid places where the snow has obviously drifted.

If you were talking about climbing up the gullies in the South or North prisons in thick snow or ice it'd be a different matter of course.

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, no need for crampons or snowshoes. Even on the open, windswept parts there'll still usually be a thin dusting of snow which will give you enough purchase with normal boots. Just try and avoid places where the snow has obviously drifted.

If you were talking about climbing up the gullies in the South or North prisons in thick snow or ice it'd be a different matter of course.

Oh no. Strictly hiking for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

No need to tell you to bring the waterproofs above all times of the year, I guess :)

Any summit in the Dublin / Wicklow mountains will stay below zero degrees this weekend. Real feel temps on Lug down to -14C

Looking forward to some winter hiking this winter, maybe even when the peaks are covered in a layer of snow

What do I need on top of my normal hiking gear? Some sort of crampons for my boots? What do you recommend? Any links? Any dangers?

Watch the boots.

Most walking boots are not crampon compatible as the sole is not rigid enough, check the specs. A good standard enough one that does for winter walking and is crampon compatible is the Scarpa Manta.

Also even with crampon compatible boots, they may not be suitable for some crampons, like the heel locking system on Grivels which require a "lip" on the heel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Only once have I ever thought I might need crampons in Wicklow. Sadly we just don't get enough snow/ice to have real winter mountaineering (with the possible exception of Lug).

I'd carry an emergency shelter at this time of year - if anything happened you'd get very cold waiting for help.

Similarly I'd make sure I have a good torch with spare batteries - night comes down quickly.

Good gloves are important - I carry a few spare pairs and one pair of bombproof mitts. Something for the face can be handy if the wind picks up and bits of ice are thrown at you (e.g. a buff or even balaclava at times).

Gaiters are, funnily enough, excellent in snow, particularly the wet slushy stuff we tend to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Was on Lug today.

Was snow covered but maybe only 1.5-2cm. The windchill was bitter though. Visibility brutal as it always seems to be for me!

Very changeable conditions underfoot. Puddles frozen solid for a few meters suddenly mucky slush.

Mainly people up there with a pent up need for winter conditions!

• Advertisement

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Was on Lug today.

Was snow covered but maybe only 1.5-2cm. The windchill was bitter though. Visibility brutal as it always seems to be for me!

Very changeable conditions underfoot. Puddles frozen solid for a few meters suddenly mucky slush.

Was on Mullaghcleevaun today. Pretty much the same. Except that there was no one up there and the deep man-swallowing bog was completely frozen for a change :D

Was hard enough to even get to the starting point as around Sally Gap the roads were covered in snow / white ice - had to take it very handy as the car was going all over the place

Was surprised I still had quite a good grip even on some areas with several inches of snow, so I think I'll leave the crampons. That said, did you look at the clip, Conor74? I don't think they are normal crampons, just some sort of snow crampons for hiking - presumably fitting to any soft boot?

@hmmm - had warm clothes today, thermal underwear, winter lined trousers, fleece and winter jacket. Plus neck gaiter, gloves (and spare fleece and heavy rain trouser in pack). And gaiters (they saved the day yet again).

Also carried head torch and emergency shelter (one of those very large orange heavy duty sacks) and enough food and drink to last me 24h if needs be.

Was on Mullaghcleevaun today. Pretty much the same. Except that there was no one up there and the deep man-swallowing bog was completely frozen for a change :D

Was hard enough to even get to the starting point as around Sally Gap the roads were covered in snow / white ice - had to take it very handy as the car was going all over the place

Was surprised I still had quite a good grip even on some areas with several inches of snow, so I think I'll leave the crampons. That said, did you look at the clip, Conor74? I don't think they are normal crampons, just some sort of snow crampons for hiking - presumably fitting to any soft boot?

@hmmm - had warm clothes today, thermal underwear, winter lined trousers, fleece and winter jacket. Plus neck gaiter, gloves (and spare fleece and heavy rain trouser in pack). And gaiters (they saved the day yet again).

Also carried head torch and emergency shelter (one of those very large orange heavy duty sacks) and enough food and drink to last me 24h if needs be.

Those things on the video were some kind of snow shoe I think.

We were out in west Wicklow today .. Sugarloaf, Lobawn, Corriebracks. No snow as such just a light covering of hoar frost above 400-500m. Temps reached 0 on the tops but probably well below with wind chill.

Surprised Sally Gap was so bad. Wicklow Gap was completely clear.

What time was that Alun? I was there at about 8:30 - 9:00 and on my way back at about 14:00 all the roads had completely cleared. The worst roads were a bit south of Sally Gap and a lot of stretches are up to 500m high there.

What time was that Alun? I was there at about 8:30 - 9:00 and on my way back at about 14:00 all the roads had completely cleared. The worst roads were a bit south of Sally Gap and a lot of stretches are up to 500m high there.

Went over it at about 10.00. The section of the Sally Gap by Carrigshouk is always dodgy in icy weather due to the shelter provided by the trees I think.

Finally got a nice winters walk in this morning. Just up the Dublin mountains but there was plenty of snow. Could have done with snow shoes in some places!

379497.jpg

379496.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Went up Scarr myself, in that weather i would have liked lug or tonelagee but girlfriend is in physio and can't do long routes atm. Tonnage got a good dusting anyhow:

[IMG][/img]25503444866_1ac4ebc5b5_z.jpgUntitled by , on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Finally got a nice winters walk in this morning. Just up the Dublin mountains but there was plenty of snow. Could have done with snow shoes in some places!

379496.jpg

Hard to think that it's about 30 minutes drive from the city centre of Dublin :)

Hard to think that it's about 30 minutes drive from the city centre of Dublin :)

I always think that too. And that most of the Dublin / Wicklow mountains are within an hours drive for about 2 million people

Yet on the less "touristy" mountains, more often than not, I see no one else up there at all

I'll never understand that, I have tried :)

Advertisement