Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over Weight with no signs

Options
  • 19-11-2015 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭

Have a quick one for fellow parents had my 3 at physio appointment earlier today ,
    And they took her height and weight and put the figures into the computer I believe it was an NHS chart calculated little g was very over weight just outside obesity,
    Now she below average height for her age but showing no sign of been over weight ,no excess belly or chubby features ,
    Kinda confusing has a healthy diet ,very little sweets or sugars and absolutely no processed foods .

Has any other parents had similar issues ,

Definitely not looking for medical advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

what height and weight is she?
    my 2 and 4 year olds are nearly the same weight.
    Each child is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My 21 mth old is over 14kg. He doesn't look terribly chubby or anythig. But when you pick him up you get a surprise! I'm going with big boned lol!

I'm not worried about his weight even though I'm told I should. Like yourself he eats very healthy and exercises loads, running around like a loon

What did the phn suggest you do about it if anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Moonbeam wrote: »
    what height and weight is she?
    my 2 and 4 year olds are nearly the same weight.
    Each child is different.

She's 98cm tall

Weight 17.7 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My son is almost 5, just about 104cm so average and is about 17kg. My daughter is 2.5 and is under 90cm and is 15kg or thereabouts. Is she just 3 or turning 4 soon? I always thought that until they're 3.5-4 it was hard to plot their weight accurately as they're still toddlers. I'd say watch her diet and cut back on sweets etc and watch portion sizes of food in genral. Its no harm to be made aware of it but I wouldn't worry too much. She'll probably have a growth spurt soon and stretch out.

One thing I was told to watch out for is their upper arms. At that age (3-4-5) it's a good indication of whether their carrying too much weight. They should be quite lean.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

My son is almost 5, just about 104cm so average and is about 17kg. My daughter is 2.5 and is under 90cm and is 15kg or thereabouts. Is she just 3 or turning 4 soon? I always thought that until they're 3.5-4 it was hard to plot their weight accurately as they're still toddlers. I'd say watch her diet and cut back on sweets etc and watch portion sizes of food in genral. Its no harm to be made aware of it but I wouldn't worry too much. She'll probably have a growth spurt soon and stretch out.

One thing I was told to watch out for is their upper arms. At that age (3-4-5) it's a good indication of whether their carrying too much weight. They should be quite lean.

She's pretty lean all over ,
    At her 2 year check up we were told she's under average height and above average weight ,
    But to be told she's now very over weight yet doesn't seem to be carrying excess weight,
    Has me confused been honest ,
    She feels heavier than her 6 year old sister too

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I had that with my son. Borderline obese she chartered him as. You can see his ribs FFS. He's not a pudgy toddler at all. It probably didnt help that I'd to bribe him onto the scales with chocolate buttons. :p

Anyway, I got a nutrition booklet and a follow up appointment and all was grand - I think that it was just prior to a height spurt. I can joke about it now, but I was absolutely baffled at it at the time, and a bit hurt that she assumed I was feeding him junk when all his meals are home cooked and packed with protein and veg, and he's never in his life drank anything other than milk or water and never even tasted a chip.

So it could be that she's due a height spurt, and it will even out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I've twins and there's always been a noticeable weight difference between them even though they both have the same build. As Moonbeam said every child is different. I wouldn't be worried about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Unfortunately the world has changed to a degree where it is hard to see unhealthy. The obesity problem we have heard about for years is all around us. We now call people who are a healthy weight 'skinny' because they are the odd ones out.
    In reality when our kids look like all the other kids we see them as healthy, what if all the kids are overweight? This is what is happening.
    Food in the supermarkets are largely unsuitable for kids. A 3 yr old should be on around 1200 calories a day. Some school lunches contain that! We surveyed kids lunches and the healthy looking lunches had issues.
    Example:
    Banana
    Innocent smoothie
    Yoghurt
    Grapes
    2 biscuits
    Apple juice
    = 840 calories

We hate the idea of calorie watching for kids but supermarkets make it really necessary to do so. Kids love food with Fat, Salt & Sugar so it is added to everything.
    If she is eating well, active & sleeping well then it is just a case of being more aware of the calorific value of what she eats, things soon change when you do this.

Advertisement