Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Marseillaise to be played before Premier League games

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Sorry why are they playing the French national anthem when the French government are hitting Syria with airstrikes and killing innocent civilians left, right and center as we speak? It's actually a joke. Civilians death is only a big deal when it happens in the western world clearly. The rest is collateral damage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I despise ISIS, and what their idiot followers did in France was horrific. But come on, singing the French anthem in the UK at football matches?

You'd swear France was nuked into nonexistence.

Have a minute silence maybe, wear an armband. That's enough. Then get on with the action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Wow, embarrasing stuff from the PL tbh. I suspect the PL are still giddy from the publicity from the poppy grief machine. This reminds me of those coffin chasers you'd see on Facebook, you know the type, when somebody dies they can't help but make it all about how it affects them.

"Oh Andy i will never forget that woodwork class we took together when we were 14"

"Lyfes so cruel...i miss you Andy.."

"Sleep tight Andy..."

"I'll find my way
    Through night and day,
    'Cause I know I just can't stay
    Here in heaven....4Andyxoxo"

Bargain basement stuff really. Andy was a metaphor for France there.

Goodnight and God bless.

Way over the top tbh.

The gesture was made already made

People killed all over the world since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sorry why are they playing the French national anthem when the French government are hitting Syria with airstrikes and killing innocent civilians left, right and center as we speak? It's actually a joke. Civilians death is only a big deal when it happens in the western world clearly. The rest is collateral damage

There's always one :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Is this actually happening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

monkey9 wrote: »
    Is this actually happening?

Already has. Was sung before the United game. Was cringeworthy to start with, made even worse by the fact that the Watford mascot was among the players on the halfway line, looked ridiculously out of place as if they were mocking France (not the case obviously, just how it came across to me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Unbelievable. They even faced the TV cameras. It's absolutely disgraceful by the PL.

Bloody hell. It's embarrassing really. A dignified minute silence would be far more appropiate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

monkey9 wrote: »
    Bloody hell. It's embarrassing really. A dignified minute silence would be far more appropiate.

Reading into it too much. It's grand. As long as it's a once off. One could argue being silent for a minute or clapping for a minute is silly\embarrassing\cringy and/or pointless.

Suppose they're trying to send a new and unique message as a mark of respect to a neighbouring country. The country you could say invented democracy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its pathetic tbh

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Nalz wrote: »
    Reading into it too much. It's grand. As long as it's a once off. One could argue being silent for a minute or clapping for a minute is silly\embarrassing\cringy and/or pointless.

Suppose they're trying to send a new and unique message as a mark of respect to a neighbouring country. The country you could say invented democracy :)

Overall it's a not big deal really. I've no problem with it being marked of course and i don't think there's anything wrong with a minute silence/applause. But playing national anthems is OTT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Nalz wrote: »

I think people's reactions here are way OTT.

It's as if they are taking a swipe at the EPL for the sake of it.

A mi utes silence may have been better but a minutes applause no way.

Applause is fine to for a public figure that has achieved something to remember and celebrate.

But not for the mass murder of innocent people, that's something to be mourned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

You just can't do a minutes silence any more due to there always being a handful of arse holes at every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Jayop wrote: »
    You just can't do a minutes silence any more due to there always being a handful of arse holes at every game.

The applause only came in when George Best died, 10 years ago one of these days.
    There were a "handful of arseholes" at every game long before 2005 and they still managed to do silences.

The applause is not suited to all occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The applause only came in when George Best died, 10 years ago one of these days.
    There were a "handful of arseholes" at every game long before 2005 and they still managed to do silences.

The applause is not suited to all occasions.
    I fully agree. A minutes applause would have been awful for today. Either silence or if they feel it'll be ruined by arse holes then do what they did.

Advertisement