Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dynamo hub advice

Options
  • 19-11-2015 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I was thinking of putting a dynamo hub onto a touring bike.I want to be able to use it for lights and charging phone/garmin . i do a lot of camping and there can be little opportunity to charge stuff for a couple of days also I like the idea of using the energy from the bike . so ive a couple of questions;
    did anyone ever do this particularly in regard to charging phone ? ,is it worth it ?and do modern dynamos actually hav any rolling resistance? Also any recommended brands/sites ? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/475680

One option

Shimano are at cheaper end(but for what you want perfectly fine). Rose will build wheel cheaper than most circa €100=150 depending on spec)

Shutter precision and SON are at the more expensive end.

Luxus U from B & M will light the road and also charge phone. presume there are others.

Fitting light to dynamo is simple and being tidy with cabling takes some time(I may have sinned here previously)

Peterwhitecycles is great for info but not so good with prices!!

So old threads here might be of use

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057219008

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭moggie123

Thanks very much ..a lot to go on here ......it all seems relatively pricey though .....at first glance. Ill build the wheel myself suppose that will lower it a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You won't actually build the wheel much cheaper than buying it from Rose. As I understand it, the Luxus U will either light the road or charge the phone but not both at the same time. I would recommend getting a powerbank and charge that while you ride (as well as topping it up whenever you can plug it in). Then you can charge phone and other devices at leisure. Get a 2 amp charger for the powerbank rather than a standard micro usb charger as it will charge faster that way.

I don't notice the rolling resistance from using my dynamo though I leave lights on all the time. There is no pressure on tyre resistance like you get from a bottle dynamo and very little unloaded drag from a hub dynamo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thread Hijack!

Are there any cycle shops in the general Dublin area that will supply and fit a hub dynamo? I'm thinking on going down this road but have no interest in doing it myself.

Presumably it would be better to fit it to a new bike than retro fit to an existing bike? I'm kinda thinking of getting a bike with mudguards for a change so also considering a hub dynamo while I'm at it.

moggie123 wrote: »
    Thanks very much ..a lot to go on here ......it all seems relatively pricey though .....at first glance. Ill build the wheel myself suppose that will lower it a bit

If for a touring bike, this wide and heavy build would work
    http://www.rosebikes.com/article/shimano-dh-3n31-with-xtreme-sari-t-19-r-28700-c-atb-front-wheel-716134/aid:716136

With the Luxos U you'd be out about €200.

You wouldn't get the SP or SON hubs for that!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

cdaly_ wrote: »
    You won't actually build the wheel much cheaper than buying it from Rose. As I understand it, the Luxus U will either light the road or charge the phone but not both at the same time. I would recommend getting a powerbank and charge that while you ride (as well as topping it up whenever you can plug it in). Then you can charge phone and other devices at leisure. Get a 2 amp charger for the powerbank rather than a standard micro usb charger as it will charge faster that way.

I don't notice the rolling resistance from using my dynamo though I leave lights on all the time. There is no pressure on tyre resistance like you get from a bottle dynamo and very little unloaded drag from a hub dynamo.
    Add your reply here.thanks for info. but tbh Im not sure what you mean by 2 amp charger ? I hav a powerbank with a standard usb imput charging port with the relevant adaptor you think it would charge too slow ? also I was look on feebay uk and there is a modern sturmey archer hub for 36ish euro ! are these any good I wonder.

USB specification is for a usb port to supply 500mA and this is what a phone charger will supply. OTOH, the likes of a tablet/iPad requires more power to charge and their chargers supply around 2.1A. That should charge your powerbank faster when you're having a well-earned pint mid-tour. The dynamo will likely only top up a powerbank, not charge it from empty.

The Sturmey Archer hub you mention only puts out 2.4W which will only power a front light while various others put out 3W which will power both front and rear lights. I'd recommend a 3W hub for usb charging.

Thread Hijack!

Are there any cycle shops in the general Dublin area that will supply and fit a hub dynamo? I'm thinking on going down this road but have no interest in doing it myself.

Presumably it would be better to fit it to a new bike than retro fit to an existing bike? I'm kinda thinking of getting a bike with mudguards for a change so also considering a hub dynamo while I'm at it.

You're just changing the front wheel and bolting on a couple of lamps. Very easy to do, dunno why you wouldn't diy. Retrofit is no problem, no need for a new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i bought a shimano hub on a rigida rim for about 57 euros delivered on ebay. have done two winters on it (circa 5k km) and it has been uneventfully reliable. I have a edelux light, it's good for dark dark roads, and i have a rear light running from it aswell. Simple to fit, then in the summer I take it off.

@cdaly - i saw you this morning. The Thorne looks very well (I actually saw you a few times and didnt know it was you but remember the bike!!)

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    The Thorne looks very well

I'm sure it's the rider lending the good looks to the bike!... :cool:

Thanks to all for posts it's really clarified the issues involved. ... might invoke the 'santa' clause to get this done.

Thanks to all for posts it's really clarified the issues involved. ... might invoke the 'santa' clause to get this done.

http://m.banggood.com/...r-Bank-p-953908.html

I have the 12000 mAh version. Charges devices at 2amp, so quick.

Charged s5 from 10% to full 5 times. Heavy but 350g isn't much in terms of camping I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

I've hub-dynamo'd up two bikes now, a cheap and cheerful Shimano and a sleek SP on the tourer.

Some points to note - make sure you get a 3Watt dynamo for maximum output (not the cheapo 2.4W). Beware, the converters for turning this 6V ac into 5V dc for some reason, can be quite expensive on their own. At the end of the day, these dynamos will only provide a 0.5A (500mA) USB trickle charge, so when you're not charging a device, you should be charging a rechargeable battery pack so you can top up devices when at camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    Some points to note - make sure you get a 3Watt dynamo for maximum output (not the cheapo 2.4W)
    Are the 2.4W ones for front light only, whereas the 3.0W are intended to have a 0.6W feed for the rear?

Lumen wrote: »
    Are the 2.4W ones for front light only, whereas the 3.0W are intended to have a 0.6W feed for the rear?

What you said was correct, and was designed back when front and back lights were inefficient bulbs (and German standards). Nowadays, the lights are all LED and 2.4W is more than enough to drive both. However, if one wants to charge electronics, then 3W dynamos should be used to guarantee the minimum 0.5A output. (W = VA)

What you said was correct, and was designed back when front and back lights were inefficient bulbs (and German standards). Nowadays, the lights are all LED and 2.4W is more than enough to drive both. However, if one wants to charge electronics, then 3W dynamos should be used to guarantee the minimum 0.5A output. (W = VA)
    The Luxos U (which I have) claims to output 5V @ 1A through the USB.

http://blog.dutchbikebits.com/2012/01/selecting-and-installing-dynamo.html
    A bicycle dynamo is an example of a constant current source. Bicycle dynamos are rated at 6 V 3 W but what this really means is that they are current sources which attempt to deliver half an amp across whatever load is connected. The expected load of a rear and front light together is the equivalent of 12 ohms. A dynamo tries to supply sufficient voltage always to deliver the same current. With a short circuit, the dynamo will still deliver about 0.5 A at zero volts, but with an open circuit the dynamo will produce so high a voltage as it can in an attempt to deliver 0.5 amps.

So I guess the Luxus transforms 10V @ 0.5A to 5V @ 1A.

Or something. I couldn't even count coins for a coffee earlier so secondary level physics is well beyond me.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    You're just changing the front wheel and bolting on a couple of lamps. Very easy to do, dunno why you wouldn't diy. Retrofit is no problem, no need for a new bike.
    Probably because I've managed to get through life so far with absolutely no understanding of anything related to electricity/electronics. When I hear terms like watts, volts, amps, resistors etc. the shutters come down in my brain.

So do I order the hub dynamo, the cables, the lights, the light fittings etc, online and then bring the hub to a wheelbuilder to put it in a wheel? Problem is, reading the posts above by Mec-a-nic, Lumen etc. shows I haven't a clue what power I need. I'd like to to run a fairly good front light (suitable for unlit roads) and a rear light. Hence the reason why I prefer to pay someone to do all this for me.

I'd like to to run a fairly good front light (suitable for unlit roads) and a rear light. Hence the reason why I prefer to pay someone to do all this for me.

You don't need to worry about most details, thanks to the German bicycle laws (linked above), all the different manufacturers parts are standard and interoperable. So every standard dynamo and lights runs off 6V (it's just good to know) - get the bigger dynamo (3W vs 2.4W) and pick LED lights that suit your bike/style/budget (more money=better efficiency=more light output for same standard input). Once it's all set up, you won't have to worry about it for years.

bring the hub to a wheelbuilder to put it in a wheel?

You'll buy a ready-built dynamo wheel cheaper than parts plus wheelbuilder. Get all the bits, bolt em up to the bike and we can probably find a willing boardsie to go over the electrical stuff...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

My wife's dynamo hub is a Son 28 paired with a B&M Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U senso front headlamp with a USB port. She has found that the front light dims a lot when charging something via the USB port, so she avoids using the USB port while riding at night unless absolutely necessary.

As for wiring, I was intimidated by that when I put her bike together but it was very simple with that combination above (plus a Philips rear light). Two wires involved, the only fiddly part was being careful when heat-shrink wrapping the plugs at each end, and routing the wire can be a bit of a faff too but electrical tape can get you through most challenges there (it's robust, easy to apply, and available in various colours so you might be able to get a colour to match your frame if you are so inclined).

That was my first time working on a dynamo hub and I was impressed by the technology. The resistance of the Son hub was minimal, lift the bike and spin the wheel by hand and it spins for quite a while, it's hard to tell the difference when you switch the lights on too, it spins better than many non-dynamo hubs I've seen.

I was converted to dynamo hubs and subsequently bought a couple of cheap Shimano ones for my commute bikes. Haven't built them into wheels yet though unfortunately, but I plan to, I think that a dynamo hub is the way to go for a commuter bike (and touring and audax bikes too).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Hub dynamos generate no noticeable resistance, although some of the cheaper ones can cause some noticeable wheel vibrations at high speed. You can buy quite good-value prebuilt wheels with the hub, so long as you don't have disc brakes. There are very few disc-compatible hub dynamos, and even fewer prebuilt wheels using those hubs. I pick up Sanyo H27 dynamo on an IDC Stout wheel on eBay last year under €100 and it's doing great.

Most hubs output 0.5 amps at 6 volts to give you 3W. This is a problem for USB charging because devices expect 5V at 0.9A, so 4.5W. So don't expect your phone to charge like it's plugged into the wall... you'll get half that charge at best. Plus, charging means no lights. Personally, I keep it as an option for charging a backup battery, which I then use to charge the phone... but this is only when you're camping for more than 3 or 4 days in a row. Personally, I'd recommend a phone with good battery life and a backup battery as your first options. If you're going somewhere sunny, solar chargers can also be a good option.

You should definitely dynamo lights, and there are some great selections out there. Personally, I've tried a few of them and find the B&M Lumotec IQ Premium Fly RT Senso Plus is a good choice for the front. It has a good, focussed beam (better than B&M Cyo), a big bright surface area for daytime riding or when you're stopped, and a good capacitor too (much better than the Herrmans light mentioned above). Plus that shape of unit, being tall it gets a bit more clearance over your front mudguards to put more light on the road for you.

For the back, the Herrmans h-Track is cheap and effective light with a big surface... and it can mount to a rack or directly to SKS Chromplastics mudguards if you don't have a rack, or tend to have a bunch of tents or other stuff hanging off the end of the rack.

There are very few disc-compatible hub dynamos
    There are loads of disc dynohubs.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mobile/dynamos-hub-dept366/

As for charging on the go, seems to be a few on here complaining of reliability trouble with Luxos

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=63183.275

Thanks so much for all the info ... what a wonderful resource this boards thing is !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Lumen wrote: »

If by lots you mean the Schmidt 28 disc hubs available in lots of different colors? :rolleyes:

[Pedantic]There is a limited selection of disc-brake compatible hub dynamos relative to the selection of rim-brake compatible dynamos, and they are generally more expensive[/Pedantic] :D

If by lots you mean the Schmidt 28 disc hubs available in lots of different colors? :rolleyes:

Don't forget the Shutter Precision (SP) disc hub, also comes in lots of anodised colours (for about half SON's price) :p

Don't forget the Shutter Precision (SP) disc hub, also comes in lots of anodised colours (for about half SON's price) :p
    The SP PV8 (non disc) was recommended to me by a club mate but I'm having difficulty finding one fitted to a wheel. All the sites seem to have Shimano or SON hub dynamos on their stock wheels.

• Advertisement

The SP PV8 (non disc) was recommended to me by a club mate but I'm having difficulty finding one fitted to a wheel. All the sites seem to have Shimano or SON hub dynamos on their stock wheels.
    http://spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s209p0

Advertisement