Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Bank Account

Options
  • 19-11-2015 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Can a member of BOI staff tell me exactly what is needed to open a student bank account? I would preferably like a step by step breakdown of exactly what is needed/required. 

What happens in the event that a student is not the main addressee where they live and therefore they will not have a utility bill in their name?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

DeltaWhite wrote: »
    Can a member of BOI staff tell me exactly what is needed to open a student bank account? I would preferably like a step by step breakdown of exactly what is needed/required. 

What happens in the event that a student is not the main addressee where they live and therefore they will not have a utility bill in their name?
    Good Afternoon DeltaWhite,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie

We have a detailed step by step guide on our website of how to apply for a student account here

You will see on the second page of this step by step guide that for a student account there are alternative options for proof of address available to you such as ;

-Your CAO offer letter
    -Your University/College letter
    -A bank Statement
    -A Drivers licence 

If you use this link you will be able to apply for your account online, simply upload the required documents to start the application. 

I hope this fully answers your query and thanks for getting in touch today. 

Evie 

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

Evie,

Thanks for your rapid response. Whilst I appreciate the help and very informative post above, the part about the letter from the students college is definitely not true.

I have had several students come to me after they have been given a confirmation letter from college (with their address and information and college stamp) and all of them have been told that it will not suffice. This fiasco is going on since September and they are extremely frustrated at this stage. We even had a member of BOI come to us, have a meeting with Management and the students, that staff member told us that what would suffice is:

The students (who are international by the way) would need to contact their bank in their home country and get their bank to change their home address on their statements to their Irish one (why would that even be allowed??) which was not accepted by the students home banks (completely understandable) 

It's at a stage now where I feel complete and utter embarrassment every-time the students come to me (which is almost daily) and tell me yet again they have been refused a bank account. 

Can you advise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

Hi, 

My apologies, I didn't know these were for international students. This would be a different procedure indeed, I will look into this for you and come back to you with any alternative solutions soon. 

Thank you,

Evie 

Advertisement