Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trouser Braces that Last

• 19-11-2015 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm tired buying these and then having to bin them after a short while.

Mustard%20Stripe%20Trouser%20Braces%201511%20by%20Hunt%20&%20Holditch.jpg

The problem is they loose their grip eventually, the reason being when switching them from one pair of trousers to another, where the waistbands are of different thicknesses.

Does anyone know of a pair that would be strong enough to use on different trousers and that would last.

Or is the answer to get a pair specifically for each pair of pants, but I'm not keen on that for a solution.

I wouldn't mind paying a one off €30 or €40 euro if I could be sure they would last for years.

Any suggestions or links welcome, cheers.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 66 ✭✭bloominballix

My suggestion is buy a belt, unless your name is Oliver Hardy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Funny you should say that but I'm a distant relative of his:D but thanks for your suggestion, but belts are out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Easiest thing to do is put buttons on the inside band of the trousers that you can use for proper button braces. Honestly they work so much better and are far more comfortable. Plus you can still use a belt since the buttons are on he inside of the waistband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Another +1 for buttons but if you must use clipons then google logger braces (or logger suspenders if you want to cover all bases including american).Logger braces are the type of braces used by forestry chainsaw operators and tend to be well made and wide because the hold up thick heavy ballistic nylon trousers, bright colours and company logos might put you off.

Some of the tool manufacturers (bahco for example) also have braces (often branded) for tradesman and again these may be stronger than other gentleman's braces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I have been using these ones with my waterproof work overalls for about 2 years, the clips have held fine but the elastic is starting to give (but still 2 years for €20 isnt bad).
    They are great for doing any sort of tradesman work but at 2 inches wide they may be very out of place with a suit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BRACES-HUNTER-GREEN-DESIGN-M-K-TOOLS/dp/B008VE5JSK/ref=sr_1_10?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1448107356&sr=1-10&keywords=brimarc+braces

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Braces are a far better option for proper trousers for formal/business wear like a suit or sports jacket and slacks. They do much better job of keeping trousers at your natural waist and ensuring they drape properly, particularly if you're any bit overweight.

OP, Albert Thurston braces are generally considered the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

thanks everyone I appreciate all your replies, I've decided to go for button type, a lot of cheapies on line, but reviews are not all good but have ordered these and hope they don't disappoint.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0051OIV6A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭breakemall

If you need quality braces (or suspenders as they call them in the US of A) I can vouch for the Cabelas heavy duty deluxe with the metal clips rather than buttons. If they lose grip it is because they took half the trousers with them! There is a good colour selection and cost circa $20 each and to get the best value buy 4 pairs (postage minimum is $20 up to $80 purchase)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

OP, Albert Thurston braces are generally considered the best.

Bloody hell, they'd want to be - at those prices I'd expect them to include the trousers!

Advertisement