Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingdom hall

Options
  • 19-11-2015 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I have seen The Kingdom Hall in Portlaoise up for sale for a long time, price has dropped and could afford to 50% mortgage it to open as a pottery, arts and rental space. I know the estate in front is burned out but I would expect the site to be cleared in the next few years.
    Guess I am wondering why did the Jehovah's choose to leave ..... and would you locate there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I believe the Jehovahs decided to sell up on account of the anti-social behaviour and property damage they were experiencing. I was told this by one of their own who called to my door a good while back! It's a shame to see once useful buildings left burnt out or idle. It could take many years before the area is rehabilitated, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

They were being attacked openly and having rocks thrown at them. Articles in local papers about 2-3 years ago IIRC. If it was almost any other religion, it would be classed as a pogrom. I think you'd be mad to move in down there.

It would be good premises for a pest and dirtbird extermination business however.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

An Ri rua wrote: »
    They were being attacked openly and having rocks thrown at them. Articles in local papers about 2-3 years ago IIRC. If it was almost any other religion, it would be classed as a pogrom. I think you'd be mad to move in down there.

It would be good premises for a pest and dirtbird extermination business however.

Ah Portlaoise. Classy as ever

Advertisement