Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net Nanny / PC Protection suggestions?

Options
  • 19-11-2015 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭

I recently picked up an old laptop through work which I'm configuring to be a family computer as our eldest is doing school projects via Google Docs etc.

They'll only be allowed to use it at the kitchen table under mine or Mrs Sleepy's supervision but I'd still like to add an extra layer of protection to keep them from stumbling across the darker corners of the internet, registering for social networking sites etc.

Can anyone recommend some good freeware apps that they've personal experience of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm trying to find something similar for a tablet but one that I can set time limits on. I basically want him to be able to access his usual cartoons on Netflix and You-tube, restrict all else, but also want the tablet to shut off or disable after the allotted screen time is over.

We do supervise whenever he is on the tablet but he's becoming more and more adept at navigating and like that, don't want him stumbling over something that he shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

OpenDNS is the best way to select what your family can access. At a simple level it has a pretty good filter. If you're reasonably technical you can set up your own whitelist \ blacklist.

Advertisement