Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do dogs like walkies???

• 20-11-2015 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

I have a 7yr old pug who is a ball of energy. Every night I bring him for a walk to get rid of hyper and let him do his business.
    But every night when I say walkies, his ears prick up and he jumps up, but when I go to put his harness on... he constantly runs away from me, up the stairs, into the other room, and recently around and around the table for ages. Also tryst to wiggle out of the harness.
    Does this sound like he hates going for walks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I have a 7 month old Springer/Cocker who loves his walk but runs away from the harness. I say "Walk!" and stand over by the door with the harness behind my back. When he tries to jump up at the door I grab him. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I have a 7yr old pug who is a ball of energy. Every night I bring him for a walk to get rid of hyper and let him do his business.
    But every night when I say walkies, his ears prick up and he jumps up, but when I go to put his harness on... he constantly runs away from me, up the stairs, into the other room, and recently around and around the table for ages. Also tryst to wiggle out of the harness.

Sounds like he hates the harness, to be honest.

My 'lumps' (Newfs) are not keen on walking - they plod (and I mean plod) along side like sullen teenagers, especially if they detect that we're not heading for the beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭3dogs

I have a 3 year old terrier who lives for his walks, but he is terrified of his harness. He has severe back problems so has to wear a harness rather than a collar and lead but no matter how much I reward him and try to make the harness a positive experience he still drops to the floor and acts like he is being tortured when he sees it. Once it's on and we are out he is fine again.

So I would say your guy is the same, it is the harness not the walk that is the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Used to use a harness on my Yorkshire terrier. He loves walks but hated the harness.

It's been my experience that dogs generally don't like wearing things, be that harnesses, the cone of shame or stupid jumpers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Hooked

Two huskies here that run a mile come harness time.

As soon as they're on... Not a bother on them.

Weirdos!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Assuming it's an over the head harness y could maybe try one that you can open the neck part off rather than have to put it over the dogs head - which is probably what they don't like. eg http://www.dog-games-shop.co.uk/perfect-fit-fleece-dog-harness.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭3dogs

tk123 wrote: »
    Assuming it's an over the head harness y could maybe try one that you can open the neck part off rather than have to put it over the dogs head - which is probably what they don't like. ]

With my guy the style of harness doesn't matter, he hates them all. Over the past 3 years I have tried all sorts including the perfect fit one :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

I have a german shepherd (ish) who would happily lie in her bed all day and sees it as an awful inconvenience when I ask her to get up to put her harness on. I get the funny faces but she's far too lazy to actually run away from me when it comes out. She's fine when she's actually out the door though. Much like me when I'm going to the gym come to think of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Our APBT used to literally shake as we'd put the harness. You have to just ignore the behaviour and give them zero choice in it instead of letting them get worked up and embedding a negative reaction to the harness in their head.
    Now when we put the harness on instead of shaking she happily sits by the door ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Casher

My Bichon does the exact same, hides behind furniture, under tables etc. Once I grab him by the collar I don't even have to pull, he'll just trot out. I have a perfect fit harness for him & once I place it on his back he lifts his right leg for me to hook it under him, I then close it on the left. Now if I go to the front door as if I'm about to leave him behind, he has no problem having the harness put on:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Why do dogs hate their harnesses??!??!?!

Is there a reason, or is it just one of those wierd things - something to do with the delay in getting out the door? or lifting their paws to put it on? or the feel of it around their bodies?

I had a dog with a damaged trachea, which was probably caused by the leash on his collar, and him pulling/choking himself for years. Then Harnesses came along - life is good when you have a harness that prevents pulling AND prevents choking surely? Why dont dogs seem to mind CHOKING themselves on a leash/collar?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

sounds like hes realy excited as he knows hes heading out for a ramble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

my cocker spaniel is the exact same with his harness, i know he loves his walks but he runs away from me when i get his harness out. He has a ruffwear harness so its over the head but i know its a good harness so don't want to be spending more money on a different one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My two just stand for me to put it on no probs! Bailey is uber helpful and will lift his paw etc depending on what's being put on but lazy bum just stands there not ar$ed lol! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Hooked wrote: »
    Two huskies here that run a mile come harness time.

As soon as they're on... Not a bother on them.

Weirdos!

Mine is the very same .:pac:she runs off but once its on she doesn't want it off when we get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Vancity

My mini schnauzer is the exact same! Runs like a demon when she sees it and when I catch her she stands there cowering as it's going on - it's definitely the over the head thing. Then she shakes herself off and barges through the door like she owns it on the way out. Loves walks. She's the same when it comes to wearing anything - we have a little raincoat for her (it rains a lot here) and she detests it; it's an ordeal trying to get her to walk in it and she keeps trying to shake it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Maybe try a different harness - my dog, when she was younger, reacted well to a collar with a harness that threaded through the back rings, around behind her forelegs and up to the two throat rings, with the lead going onto a clip at the back.

Your dog may, of course, just like the game. If you wait at the front door with the harness and s/he knows that the way out that door to the walk is to calmly get the harness on, the dramaqueening may stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Cooper must be an odd bod...he honestly doesn't mind his harness...will stand calmly at the front door for it to be put on. We have a euro short harness by zero dc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Mitch loves going for walks on the lead...She spends most of the day on the coach, when you come home and put trackers on or runners, she will kinda watch you.. Then you go out into the hall and rattle the lead and she off the coach like there is no tomorrow. Often because she is a little leggy her legs gone mad on the floor...

Loves the walks and gets sad if you dont bring her.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

It might just be excitement? Izzy (Havanese) literally runs laps of the house when she even sees the lead and it takes a good 5 minutes for her to be calm enough to get her all togged out. Phoebe (shihtzu) on the other hand is a lazy lump and will almost play dead once she sees the lead.

Still laughing at the sulky teenager newfs haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Sounds like you are getting the dog wound up and excited by saying "walkies".

Next time just pick up the harness and put it on the dog without saying anything and see if you get a better reaction. I have a feeling you might!

Advertisement