Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could Real Madrid sell Ronaldo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Of course. Still can't address anything?

What are you actually saying about Ronaldo? Is it that you think he's average? Genuinely asking btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Of course. Still can't address anything?

How do people react?

Same as us?

monkey9 wrote: »
    What are you actually saying about Ronaldo? Is it that you think he's average? Genuinely asking btw.

No.
    Worse than average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Ronaldo at his anonymous best again tonight. When he doesn't score Madrid may as well be playing with 10 men. Other lads bursting a gut to make something happen and he just saunters around, unable to beat men nor has the ability to create anything meaningful.

Let me clarify my "only goals" point. The only criteria people have for having Ronaldo as one of the best players of all time is his goals and "stats". Yet the same people don't have more prolific goal scorers in this category. Sure didn't you know the likes of Van Nistelrooy has more goals than Maradona and Cruyff so must be a better player, right?

I've noticed everyone sneering at my points can't actually dispute anything I've said. Name me one world class performance that Ronaldo has ever put in that wasn't world class just because of the goals? You know the way Kaka and Ronaldinho regularly did in their prime. Same with Messi, Maradona etc etc. Hasn't happened, never will

Your either trolling or an idiot.Hes a attacking player ,goals is his bread and butter thats what matters.How about single handly getting portugal to the world cup.
    Why did you but "" over stats.Do you not belive hes goals scored or his assisits now?
    Also is basically every manger, sports pundit sports fan would completly disagree with you wrong and you the only one that can see him for what he really is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Outside his goals, what makes Ronaldo world class exactly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Why are you ignoring his goals?

and assists?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Other than the goals and the assists what has the Romans Ronaldo ever done for us?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Just another fun Bravo vs Ronaldo fact. Bravo completed more passes today (54) than Ronaldo (44)

• Advertisement

I'm not. I've regularly started he's a world class goalscorer. People seem to ignore this. But when we are told he's one of the two best players in the world and up there with the best of all time, ahead of more prolific goal scorers may I add, then I'd love to know what he actually does that is so good to have him held in such high regard and in the company of the likes of Maradona? Surely it only stands to reason that he is doing more at a world class level than just scoring if we are to have him in such high company and ahead of more prolific goal scorers. So what else is he doing to a world class level?

I've still yet to get an answer apart from the "only goals" rhetoric

I'm not. I've regularly started he's a world class goalscorer. People seem to ignore this. But when we are told he's one of the two best players in the world and up there with the best of all time, ahead of more prolific goal scorers may I add, then I'd love to know what he actually does that is so good to have him held in such high regard and in the company of the likes of Maradona? Surely it only stands to reason then that he is doing more at a world class level than just scoring if we are to have him in such high company and ahead of more prolific goal scorers

What is it you expect from him? He scores and makes goals for fun(or at least he did before this season). Do you expect him to slot in a deep midfield role and start playing 40yard passes to a striker or winger? He does what he does better than most in world football.

Why outside his goals though? The bloke is a goalscoring machine. Goals are kind of a big deal in football. They win matches.

Firstly, i can't stand Ronaldo. Can't stand him at all so i'm no fanboy. Messi is the greatest player i have ever seen.

But Ronaldo is world class and one of the games greats. Back in his Man U days, he was a super player even when he was starting off. He had pace and power out on the wing to get by players and was tricky as f*ck. Players feared him.

His game has changed over the years. He's build a superb physique from the scrawny teenager he was and has gone from a winger to being a world class attacker. He single handedly dragged Portugal to the Euro 2012 semi final and again to the 2014 World Cup in that play off against Sweden.

He destroyed Liverpool in the Champions League last year to the extent that he actually got a standing ovation from the Anfield crowd which, when you consider his past, is pretty extraordinary.

You're saying take away his goals, what does he do? You're talking about Gerd Muller as well. Muller was world class as well of course, but Muller was a box man. Ronaldo can score all sort of goals. Long range, tap ins, running past three or four players, one of the best headers of the ball in the game. His very presence creates space for others to run into.

Yeah, he is a selfish prIck. His final appearance for Man U in the Champions League final was actually a bit of a disgrace when he had no team ethic, he was shooting from everywhere just so he could score himself and make the story out about him in what he knew was his final appearance for Man U.

He is also sh!t at free kicks, they're more likely to hit the wall or go high and wide than actually hit the back of the net or even on target.

But seriously, to watch football with your own eyes and think Ronaldo is anything other than world class and one of the game's greats is off the wall stuff. It's a silly agenda to stick to.

Its like saying outside of Pelle goals, what makes him world class?The goals makes the player,goals wins games ,wins titles and thats why he was bought for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Here's Madrids chance
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34893228

You know how silly Van Gaal is with money!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Its like saying outside of Pelle goals, what makes him world class?The goals makes the player,goals wins games ,wins titles and thats why he was bought for.

Graziano?
    His hair is world class. Maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Exactly. Little Ronaldo fanboys cite him as one of the best ever due to the goals he scores as if his ratio or how prolific he is has never been seen before. It has, yet they overlook more prolific goal scorers when naming their best ever players, despite their only criteria for Ronaldo being the best ever is his goals. The difference between Ronaldo and Muller is that Muller was actually quite good in open play while also being more prolific playing in a more balanced league

Ronaldo is one of the best ever.
    Ronaldo is quite good in open play too.

All-time? Really? How would you know that considering assists being recorded is a pretty recent thing? And again, back to "stats" to show Ronaldo's "creativity" is it? What the stats won't show you is a player like Alonso threading a 30 yard ball through a defense to give the ball to Ronaldo who is put one on one with the keeper, who then proceeds to tap the ball two yards to a player on his right as the keeper came out and covered any possible scoring chance for Ronaldo, leaving Ronaldo with an assist when the other player scores the goal. You see, alot of the time the assists or stat won't actually show you is who the creative force behind the goal was, especially in a team like Madrid, who are already a top heavy team with world class offensive players, playing in a league with brittle defenses. And of course when you have a player like Ronaldo who spends all his time in the box, and other players are creating 30 odd chances a game, he's bound to be either the man scoring or assisting when everything is being directed straight to him to score. If we were to use the Ronaldo fanboy "stats" criteria for greatness the like of Maradona, Platini, Best, Cruyff would be rubbish. It's a hollow concept

So actually scoring goals and assisting goals is merely 'stats' to you, yet true footballing greatness is achieved by 30 yard through balls? Ronaldo is also 4th on the all time highest assist providers at United. Clearly he's creative enough, despite the fact that his role in the team is not to be creative but to score goals. Bit like criticising Alonso for not finding the onion bag 60 times a season for 4 or 5 years in a row. Take away those 30 yard through balls and he's a bang average player. Come to think of it, if you take away all those saves, Buffon and Neuer are bang average players too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Top class goalscorer, best goalscorer ever that can't really be disputed.

He is an individual in a team game however, you get the impression that if he'd a choice between winning the ballon d'or along with finishing the season trophy less, or Madrid winning the treble and him missing out on individual honours, he would choose the former.

He is a polarising figure, he took his potential and turned himself into a world class player. He is actually the very embodiment of real Madrid as a club. Individual over the collective.

The club has a toxic atmosphere built on short term gains over more long term sustainable success by rivals. By toxic atmosphere, I mean the requirement to pay homage to one man over everyone else. I should be clear, he is a world class player but his individual streak will always hurt his team when the chips are down.

Madrid will survive without him, plenty of excellent players in James, Bale and Isco. They will be more balanced and will thrive stepping out of the shadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I think Ronaldo is on the way down. He is still one of the best in the world and will score buckets of goals wherever he plays for the next few years.

However, he is 31 in a couple of months so he is going to lose that yard in pace and power and that is a massive part of his game. Hed make any team in the world but I think if a club pays anywhere near 100 million for him this summer they might be buying somebody who is past his peak and not getting goals in the numbers he has been for the past 5 years.

No shame in that, time catches up with everyone. An all time great without doubt, if he was a more humble and less selfish player his greatness would never be questioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Of course they could sell him.
    I could easily see a side with more money then sense like PSG spending 60 million+ on a 30 year old Ronaldo. Real would be very happy to get a fee like that knowing they have seen his very best years + he seems to be more than a toxic character around a dressing room and Ronaldo would be delighted to live in the fashion capital of Europe. It's win-win.
    At this point he maybe has 2-3 years where he can continue to bang in goals at his current rate.
    After that he'll probably finish off his career in America as he has stated he wants to.
    Then it's bye bye Ronaldo - you were a brilliant player but you still never had a patch on the little maestro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

In his last Champions League game against Paris Saint-Germain, he failed to get a touch of the ball inside PSG’s box.
    Didn't Messi fail to do this against either Germany or Holland in last year's WC? Can't remember which but I remember saying to friends at the time if that was Ronaldo it would be brought up quite a bit, but instead with Messi it was completely overlooked.

Haven't got to see much of Madrid (or football at all) this season since I'm on Toronto time zones now, but he is turning 31 in 10 weeks or so and his explosiveness and physicality has always been a massive part of his game. I hope not because having him & Messi around together has been fantastic for the game as a whole, but you never know, maybe he might be on the way down...

No you've not. I've answered it multiple times in other threads, which you have routinely ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

People who doubt Ronaldos place up at the top in football lose all right to have a opinion about football. I dont like Messi at all think hes a arrogant prick who gets away with stuff others dont cause of who he is, but Id never say he wasnt up their with the best cause hes a goal scorer. Some people really are idiots.
    For me I think this will be Ronaldos last season at Madrid, I think he will go to PSG and partner Zlatan in the worlds most arrogant strike force for one beautiful season

astonaidan wrote: »
    People who doubt Ronaldos place up at the top in football lose all right to have a opinion about football. I dont like Messi at all think hes a arrogant prick who gets away with stuff others dont cause of who he is, but Id never say he wasnt up their with the best cause hes a goal scorer. Some people really are idiots.
    For me I think this will be Ronaldos last season at Madrid, I think he will go to PSG and partner Zlatan in the worlds most arrogant strike force for one beautiful season
    Personally I don't think one is better than the other - Ronaldo would not have done as well in that Barca team as Messi has done, but Messi would not have done as well at Madrid as Ronaldo has, in my opinion. Ronaldo can be more of a force without needing help, whereas when the pieces are all in place Messi can link together with them a bit better. It's a real case of splitting hairs between them as footballers, but I do agree that the difference in the standards they are held to and how they are treated in the media can at times be so laughable as to qualify as self-parody.

It really is pathetic though to see people try and put one down as overrated/mediocre in order to hype up their preferred player of the two. People should just sit back and enjoy the fact that we are watching two players who should undoubtedly go down at top 10 of all time, and quite possibly two guys that could rival even Pele and Maradona, but sometimes you come across clowns looking to make claims that they are not even among the very best players in the world right now. Like I said, it's laughable.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Personally I don't think one is better than the other - Ronaldo would not have done as well in that Barca team as Messi has done, but Messi would not have done as well at Madrid as Ronaldo has, in my opinion. Ronaldo can be more of a force without needing help, whereas when the pieces are all in place Messi can link together with them a bit better. It's a real case of splitting hairs between them as footballers, but I do agree that the difference in the standards they are held to and how they are treated in the media can at times be so laughable as to qualify as self-parody.

It really is pathetic though to see people try and put one down as overrated/mediocre in order to hype up their preferred player of the two. People should just sit back and enjoy the fact that we are watching two players who should undoubtedly go down at top 10 of all time, and quite possibly two guys that could rival even Pele and Maradona, but sometimes you come across clowns looking to make claims that they are not even among the very best players in the world right now. Like I said, it's laughable.

Messi is in a class of his own in my opinion, but saying that doesn't deny the fact Ronaldo is a truly world class player aswell.

The people who tend to focus on individual records and stats cannot look beyond Ronaldos numbers. They are absolutely phenomenal, the side is usually built around getting the very best out of Cristiano Ronaldo. That is enough to beat 99.9% of opposition.

Where Ronaldo would lose marks would be his impact in the really top games, champions league finals etc.. (It's a high bar these guys set), but unless Ronaldo is scoring then their is little impact on the game and his gesticulation at team mates when the chips are down, do leave a sour taste in the mouth. His inability to recognise the importance of the collective doesn't seem to be a problem for many, which I find surprising.

I stand by the comment that the likes of Bale, Isco, James Rodriguez will all flourish once he moves on. It's not healthy for any side in the long term where one player wields so much influence in terms of play going through them.

But then again this is Madrid we are talking about.

Messi would more than cut it in that Madrid team and I'd imagine he has the team ethos that would have his team mates bust a gut for him. I couldn't imagine Xavi, Iniesta or Suarez for instance putting up with the kind of public criticism Bale receives for instance, where it seems to go unchecked at Madrid such is his standing.

Messi at Madrid scoring 30 goals may be more likely to win them the title, than Ronaldo scoring 50 goals for them. What people seem to be leaving out with Ronaldo is his own individual performances compliment the team.

You cannot simply look at his goals alone. Anyone who does simply doesn't understand football. What's the explanation then for not winning more titles in Spain?

price690 wrote: »
    Messi is in a class of his own in my opinion, but saying that doesn't deny the fact Ronaldo is a truly world class player aswell.

The people who tend to focus on individual records and stats cannot look beyond Ronaldos numbers. They are absolutely phenomenal, the side is usually built around getting the very best out of Cristiano Ronaldo. That is enough to beat 99.9% of opposition.

Where Ronaldo would lose marks would be his impact in the really top games, champions league finals etc.. (It's a high bar these guys set), but unless Ronaldo is scoring then their is little impact on the game and his gesticulation at team mates when the chips are down, do leave a sour taste in the mouth. His inability to recognise the importance of the collective doesn't seem to be a problem for many, which I find surprising.

I stand by the comment that the likes of Bale, Isco, James Rodriguez will all flourish once he moves on. It's not healthy for any side in the long term where one player wields so much influence in terms of play going through them.

But then again this is Madrid we are talking about.
    It was very beneficial for Manchester United though, who went on a slide after he left (but had an incredible defensive unit that kept them going). Ronaldo did score against Chelsea in the CL final that Man Utd won, as well as converting his penalty in the shootout and being named MOTM. He also scored the winner and was named MOTM in the Copa Del Rey final against Barca a few seasons back, and on the international stage captained Portugal to within a penalty shooutout of the 2012 EC final while having that otherworldly playoff game vs. Sweden an being probably their best player as they got to the final in 2004. The 'big game' thing some bring up about Ronaldo is a bit of a myth, to be honest - had he played like Messi did in the WC semi final or final for instance, he would be beaten with a stick over it for years. Messi though, got rewarded with the best player award.

I'm not using that last bit to have a go at Messi by the way, just giving an example of the different treatment both tend to receive.

Messi would more than cut it in that Madrid team and I'd imagine he has the team ethos that would have his team mates bust a gut for him. I couldn't imagine Xavi, Iniesta or Suarez for instance putting up with the kind of public criticism Bale receives for instance, where it seems to go unchecked at Madrid such is his standing.

Messi at Madrid scoring 30 goals may be more likely to win them the title, than Ronaldo scoring 50 goals for them. What people seem to be leaving out with Ronaldo is his own individual performances compliment the team.
    Madrid have been in turmoil for a lot of Ronaldo's time there, and have for over a decade been very unstable from the very top down compared to Barca - this is not a situation that Messi has done well in for example,

Also, Messi is no saint - the media just paints him as that. For example when Sabella was giving a speech in injury time of extra time in the World Cup Final, and later Mascherano also, Messi who was captain, just stood by the side of the huddle paying no attention whatsoever, and walked off before it was even done looking completely uninterested. I remember the commentators laughing it off along the lines of "he's Lionel Messi, he doesn't need anyone's advise" as if it were fine. It went basically unmentioned afterwards too, whereas Ronaldo over celebrating a meaningless penalty in the CL final to secure La Decime in the town where he grew up... well that was a hot talking point for a full year afterwards. The media treatment of both through their careers has been incredibly unequal.
    You cannot simply look at his goals alone. Anyone who does simply doesn't understand football. What's the explanation then for not winning more titles in Spain?
    Coming up against quite possibly the best club side of all time, the guts of which also formed probably the best national side of all time -- without needing Messi.

It was very beneficial for Manchester United though, who went on a slide after he left (but had an incredible defensive unit that kept them going). Ronaldo did score against Chelsea in the CL final that Man Utd won, as well as converting his penalty in the shootout and being named MOTM. He also scored the winner and was named MOTM in the Copa Del Rey final against Barca a few seasons back, and on the international stage captained Portugal to within a penalty shooutout of the 2012 EC final while having that otherworldly playoff game vs. Sweden an being probably their best player as they got to the final in 2004. The 'big game' thing some bring up about Ronaldo is a bit of a myth, to be honest - had he played like Messi did in the WC semi final or final for instance, he would be beaten with a stick over it for years. Messi though, got rewarded with the best player award.

I'm not using that last bit to have a go at Messi by the way, just giving an example of the different treatment both tend to receive.

Ronaldo missed his penalty in the 08 CL final. But yes, he has performed in many big games for Madrid, United and Portugal. I think too much emphasis is placed on the so called "big" games too. Most league titles are won and lost based on who does better against the weaker sides. I remember Ronaldo ran half the length of the pitch with the ball before sticking it in the bottom corner away to Fulham way back in 06 or 07 which pretty much secured the title for United. Not a game that will be in the memory of the anti-Ronaldo crowd, but a huge result for United. Similarly en route to the 08 final with United, after drawing 2-2 with Porto at Old Trafford, Ronaldo picked up possession in Porto's half and then fired the winner into the top corner from 40 yards. An absolutely phenomenal goal.

He was a different player at United I think. At Madrid his game has been narrowed down to be a purely ruthless goal scorer and he is absolutely brilliant at it. At United, I think he was more explosive, exciting and unpredictable whilst also chipping in with his fair share of goals.

I agree that Messi gets away with an awful lot in comparison to Ronaldo. They way he struck that free kick a mile over the bar at the end of the WC final was ridiculous. Didn't look interested - if Ronaldo did that he'd have been absolutely slated for it. A lot of people seem to completely disregard Messi's shocking penalty record lately too. How hard can it be to beat a keeper 1 on 1 from 12 yards?

Ibrahimovich is another one that seems to be held to different standards. Ronaldo is often criticised for being arrogant and selfish, yet Ibrahimovich is probably the most egotistical player in the world and is actually applauded for it on the internet with memes and the like. So much so that people, and even professional journalists/commentators have picked up on Ibrahimovic referring to himself in the 3rd person and have also started referring to him as simply "Zlatan". This is a man who said the world cup wouldn't be worth watching because he won't be there after Ronaldo played him off the park in a play off. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It makes me laugh when people say a player only does it against the weaker sides or smaller games.

No ****.

If Messi/Ronaldo played a season in small league for a season I expect them to rip it up every game rather then a bigger one, cause one league would have weaker players/teams then other.

I know it's hard to understand that, ya.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Messi the great team mate....:D

The same Messi who helped end the Barcelona careers of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Alexis Sanchez and who has bullied lots of youth team players at the club.. But that should be all ignored because he is the greatest of all time :rolleyes: and plays for the club that invented football:rolleyes:

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    Messi the great team mate....:D

The same Messi who helped end the Barcelona careers of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Alexis Sanchez and who has bullied lots of youth team players at the club.. But that should be all ignored because he is the greatest of all time :rolleyes: and plays for the club that invented football:rolleyes:

Whatever the truth of this is, players of greatness are always going to be given more leeway at clubs,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The big games thing is a complete myth. 15 goals against Barcelona since 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Always just popped up with a goal in those games in much the same way as Mario Gomes might, though. He never, ever really ran the show or put in a motm performance even.

The big games thing is a complete myth. 15 goals against Barcelona since 2009.

How many wins against Barca? How many La Lisa titles?

He seems fixated on Ballon D'ors aswell does Ronaldo. Whose faring better there?

He seems fixated on Ballon D'ors aswell does Ronaldo. Whose faring better there?

Is he expected to beat Barca and win titles on his own? Are you aware of how a team sport works?

They can't win the la liga or beat another team on their own.
    Thinking that for either player is silly

Is he expected to beat Barca and win titles on his own? Are you aware of how a team sport works?

Sure didn't maradonna win Napoli a title all by himself

Sure didn't maradonna win Napoli a title all by himself

I forgot that, a few great penalty saves and goal line clearances.

• Advertisement

I forgot that, a few great penalty saves and goal line clearances.

Was an awful bastard for zonal marking.

Was an awful bastard for zonal marking.

A dominating centre half though, especially in the air.

On what real evidence does he seem fixated on Ballon D'ors? Have you spoken to him about it?

A dominating centre half though, especially in the air.

Safe pair of hands under pressure.

Listening to Ronaldo you would swear he does do it all himself.

Why doesn't he have more Ballon D'ors?

Its farcical to even ask but they do seem more important to him than league titles.

On what real evidence does he seem fixated on Ballon D'ors? Have you spoken to him about it?

I take it you have not seen Ronaldo his new "motion picture"? That will clear up the question about his obsession with the ballon d'or.

He seems pretty obsessed with Messi aswell by the looks of it you should take a look.

I'm not particularly a fan of one over the other to be brutally honest, obviously they are both world class, i'd just have Messi ahead of him though, just an opinion.

• Advertisement

You're saying take away his goals, what does he do? You're talking about Gerd Muller as well. Muller was world class as well of course, but Muller was a box man. Ronaldo can score all sort of goals. Long range, tap ins, running past three or four players, one of the best headers of the ball in the game. His very presence creates space for others to run into.

Yeah, he is a selfish prIck. His final appearance for Man U in the Champions League final was actually a bit of a disgrace when he had no team ethic, he was shooting from everywhere just so he could score himself and make the story out about him in what he knew was his final appearance for Man U.

He is also sh!t at free kicks, they're more likely to hit the wall or go high and wide than actually hit the back of the net or even on target.

You see, you don't seem to understand that in all games he plays in his performances are a disgrace in open play. That Man U final appearance wasn't a one off. He played the way he always did, just didn't score to paper over the putrid performance. As for the free kicks I agree obviously, but it also applies to his long shots i.e attempt them so much and one is bound to go in now and again. How much possession does he waste attempting them when good possession could have been recycled? Whens the last time you seen him beat 3 or 4 men? That is before we even get into when did he last score after beating 3 or 4 men? Don't think I've ever seen him beat a man against a top defense.

Ronaldo is a world class goal scorer. The best at what he does in today's game with Messi. But Muller was better at doing it. But Muller isn't generally recognised in the same league as your Zidane's, Platini's, Maradona's and Cruyff's. There's a difference between being the best in what you are expected to do, and taking it to the next level and being one of the best ever. Messi can contribute all the goals and assists Ronaldo supplies, but what sets him apart is his vision, creativity, ball control, link up play. He helps orchestrate the attacks, set the temp, dictate the play aswell as providing all the goals and assists.

You see, you don't seem to understand that in all games he plays in his performances are a disgrace in open play. That Man U final appearance wasn't a one off. He played the way he always did, just didn't score to paper over the putrid performance. As for the free kicks I agree obviously, but it also applies to his long shots i.e attempt them so much and one is bound to go in now and again. How much possession does he waste attempting them when good possession could have been recycled? Whens the last time you seen him beat 3 or 4 men? That is before we even get into when did he last score after beating 3 or 4 men? Don't think I've ever seen him beat a man against a top defense.

Ronaldo is a world class goal scorer. The best at what he does in today's game with Messi. But Muller was better at doing it. But Muller isn't generally recognised in the same league as your Zidane's, Platini's, Maradona's and Cruyff's. There's a difference between being the best in what you are expected to do, and taking it to the next level and being one of the best ever. Messi can contribute all the goals and assists Ronaldo supplies, but what sets him apart is his vision, creativity, ball control, link up play. He helps orchestrate the attacks, set the temp, dictate the play aswell as providing all the goals and assists.

Your sense is not welcome around here :p

I think alot of Ronaldo fans resent the media portrayal of Messi as the saint and Ronaldo as the petulant sulk.

Leaving it aside what they are like as men, you have quite succintly summed it up there. Nobody can dispute Ronaldo is a world class goalscorer, the best there has ever been.

But Messi can play from deep when hes not getting joy, trying different lines of attack, he can play on the shoulder of the last defender, the play behind the striker, play as the main man up front. And he can do all of these to a world class level.

Along with all you have mentioned above, he is more flexible and can sacrifice personal glory when hes having an off day doing what he does best, in order to bring team mates into play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I've heard a lot of stupid opinions over the years.

Andy Carroll could turn out to be worth £35m.
    Hodgson shouldn't have been sacked.
    Moyes is good enough for Utd.
    Moyes is good enough for Liverpool.
    Mike Ashley is a good owner.
    Giroud is world class.

Many more than that too.

But any argument that argues that Ronaldo is anything less than one of the greatest of all time is fúcking lunacy, and tbh, helps filter out people who you shouldn't listen to when it comes to opinions on football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

This thread is mental.

SlickRic wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of stupid opinions over the years.

Andy Carroll could turn out to be worth £35m.
    Hodgson shouldn't have been sacked.
    Moyes is good enough for Utd.
    Moyes is good enough for Liverpool.
    Mike Ashley is a good owner.
    Giroud is world class.

Many more than that too.

But any argument that argues that Ronaldo isn't anything less than one of the greatest of all time is fúcking lunacy, and tbh, helps filter out people who you shouldn't listen to when it comes to opinions on football.

Have many people said he isn't one of the greatest though?

Is saying Messi is a better player the same saying Ronaldo isn't one of the greatest?

• Advertisement
Advertisement