Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digging/storing spuds

Options
  • 20-11-2015 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

I planted a few drills of spuds on 4th June and 14th June (a bit late I know). Have been happily digging and eating them for the past 6 weeks or so.
    My question is, with frost imminent, do I need to dig all the remaining spuds? I presume I do.

And my second question is, how to I best store them? I'll probably have 5 or 6 stones of spuds to be stored.

They're roosters and records if it matters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

My question is, with frost imminent, do I need to dig all the remaining spuds? I presume I do.

Not necessarily but if we get the extremely low temps that we got circa 2009/2010 they won't survive. I left some records in the ground until Jan 2013 and they were fine.
    And my second question is, how to I best store them? I'll probably have 5 or 6 stones of spuds to be stored. They're roosters and records if it matters.

Best way is to make sure they are fully dry. Soil will stick to them much easier after the recent wet weather. Knock as much of the clay off as you can and air dry them in a shed/garage. If you get a sunny day try and leave them outside too. Even though the sun is weak and low in the sky it still has some drying capability.

When fully dry store in a cool dark area (e.g cardboard box in garage)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

jprboy wrote: »
    Not necessarily but if we get the extremely low temps that we got circa 2009/2010 they won't survive. I left some records in the ground until Jan 2013 and they were fine.

Best way is to make sure they are fully dry. Soil will stick to them much easier after the recent wet weather. Knock as much of the clay off as you can and air dry them in a shed/garage. If you get a sunny day try and leave them outside too. Even though the sun is weak and low in the sky it still has some drying capability.

When fully dry store in a cool dark area (e.g cardboard box in garage)

I definitely would NOT leave them out in the sun. Light causes them to make toxins. See here:

https://www.fsai.ie/faq/green_potatoes.html

TheBody wrote: »
    I definitely would NOT leave them out in the sun. Light causes them to make toxins. See here:

https://www.fsai.ie/faq/green_potatoes.html

Yes, but that would be over a prolonged period.

You'll see this with potatoes that have had the soil covering them eroded for a long time before they are dug out.

A few hours in the sun won't do any harm.

I should also have said that I had potatoes stored in cardboard boxes in the garage during one of the severe winters in 2009 or 2010 and the frost penetrated all the way in and made mush of them. Very rare event but worth keeping in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

I vaguely remember my Dad storing potatoes outside. He use to form a triangular shaped mound. Then he would cover with straw and then soil. I'm not sure what time of year it was or for how long they were stored this way

peadar76 wrote: »
    I vaguely remember my Dad storing potatoes outside. He use to form a triangular shaped mound. Then he would cover with straw and then soil. I'm not sure what time of year it was or for how long they were stored this way

That's the pit method.

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/vegetables/potato/storing-potatoes-in-ground.htm

• Advertisement
Advertisement