Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving office to UK

Options
  • 20-11-2015 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks, I'm posting this for a friend and will link her to the post. I probably won't be giving much if any input as I haven't a clue but if anyone could advise it would be appreciated :)
    I’m looking to set up our main office in Belfast for a couple of different reasons. The first is regulations will allow is to trade in the UK much easier than Ireland. We’ve been lobbying to change the regulations but it has taken over 3 years and still nothing!
    We would also like to target the UK market which might be easer from the North.

If a lot of our business is in Ireland but we are based in the UK, are a registered business in the UK and pay taxes in the UK can we still provide our service into Ireland without Irish tax implications?

Could anyone recommend a solicitor or someone in the north that might help us set up and go through anything we might be missing?
    Chat conversation end

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Assuming that they have a half decent turnover, they will probably have an accountant/auditors here. Simply get that person to recommend someone in the north to organise the transfer.

Simple to set up uk company, just one director needs to be uk domicile. I don't think solicitor is required for anything especially if you have a half decent accountant.

NI is better than England /wales as corporation tax is due to drop to 12.5%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I don’t fully understand the logic here.
    cormie wrote: »
    The first is regulations will allow is to trade in the UK much easier than Ireland. We’ve been lobbying to change the regulations but it has taken over 3 years and still nothing!
    How could it be easier? Where are the obstacles? What regulations need to be changed? For e.g. insurance is now one of the most heavily regulated industries in Ireland and all another EU insurer needs to do is register with our Central Bank and off they go - as the Irish taxpayer has learned thanks to crappy Maltese supervision (and the UK did with Quinn!). Also the notion that some random company here can get regulations changed shows a lack of realism.

What is the motivation? Marketing image? Taxation? In most instances I would not bother creating a company. Instead I would register a branch of the Irish company in Belfast or Britain depending on business volumes – the Irish parent co would be liable for UK tax on the branch's trading profits, UK related income and gains. The Irish company would be subject to tax on its worldwide income and gains so anything from the branch would also be taxable here but as there is a double taxation agreement in place with the UK the parent would get tax relief on the tax paid on the profits/gains of the branch.

Given the nature of the question I doubt the OP is of a size sufficient to benefit substantially from transfer pricing and I’d guess the size of his customers is at a level where they would not differentiate between NI branch and the Republic – he would simply be an “Irish supplier”.

I think there is a strong marketing image element in the question that needs further questioning before a decision to create a branch or company is made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Why do some posters have to question every aspect of an op's post?

Op is not asking for opinion on regulations, so why does someone have to make a hoo haa about it. This is not a business policing site.

No wonder so many good posters have stopped commenting.

And I'm off as well - I'll leave the bully boys to fight away til all posts dry up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

delahuntv wrote: »
    Why do some posters have to question every aspect of an op's post?
    If an OP is not clear there is no point in giving advice – that should be obvious. What part of my post is incorrect, given the info initially provided?
    Op is not asking for opinion on regulations, so why does someone have to make a hoo haa about it. This is not a business policing site.
    No-one but you is policing anything. You are the one now making the hoo-ha, and if you bothered to read the OP, it mentioned regulations and lobbying for 3 years to have them changed.
    No wonder so many good posters have stopped commenting.
    Thankfully lots of idiots have left but many good posters are still here; the quality of the advice given generally is much higher.
    And I'm off as well - I'll leave the bully boys to fight away til all posts dry up.
    Some of your posts on retail were very good and if you bother to look back you will see that I have often liked/thanked them. However, your post above is factually incorrect and overall inaccurate. If you read the OP, Cormie’s friend refers to Northern Ireland – however you refer to the UK, which is England, Wales and Scotland. Furthermore, Northern Ireland has its own Companies Office and finally - contrary to your comment - there are no residency or nationality requirements for N Ireland company directors. Any of the Dublin-based company formation firms will set up a NI company for about €350.

The only bullyboys here are those who take a sulk and run off because they don’t like their posts being improved/corrected!;)

Advertisement