Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown ristotto rice

Options
  • 20-11-2015 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭

I make bbcs oven risotto with arborio rice and was wondering if I could substitute it for brown arborio/risotto rice. Ive substituted brown basmati in oven dishes before and it hasn't worked great as the brown rice doesnt cook properly. Also does anyone know any supermarkets which stock brown risotto rice, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Brown rice usually takes a lot longer to cook, so you need to be careful subbing it into a recipe. Either part cook it, or cook for longer.
    I've never seen brown risotto rice however.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I've never seen a brown version of arborio or carnoli rice, if you want to change it up, try a pearled barley instead of your rice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

We had a brown rice 'risotto' dish last week using shortgrain brown rice (god's own rice) and it was nice but it wasn't risotto. I have a feeling you need your rice to be hulled for the starchy magic to happen. Our risotto was a soupy savoury rice dish, tasty but think I'll be sticking to using actual risotto rice in future cos when you're craving risotto getting a slightly healthier alternative can make you a bit ragey*. Your oven risotto will also take way more time in the oven than if you were using carnaroli/arborio.

*brown rice hulkout may be specific to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Thanks for the replies. I think ill stick with the standard arborio. If I want more fibre ill just add more veggies

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Much better. The idea of substituting "healthy" ingredients into dishes rarely works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I make bbcs oven risotto with arborio rice and was wondering if I could substitute it for brown arborio/risotto rice. Ive substituted brown basmati in oven dishes before and it hasn't worked great as the brown rice doesnt cook properly. Also does anyone know any supermarkets which stock brown risotto rice, thanks

Without meaning to criticise you, that's a pilaff not a risotto and the BBC should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Marcusm wrote: »
    Without meaning to criticise you, that's a pilaff not a risotto and the BBC should know better.

No,its more of a lazy mans risotto. Its creamy like a rosotto, just a lot less stirring

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

No,its more of a lazy mans risotto. Its creamy like a rosotto, just a lot less stirring

It's creamy because that is the nature of arborio, carnaroli etc. Any brown rice will retain its starch and you would get a brown rice pilaff. The starch will not leach out to create the mulch of a risotto.

Advertisement