Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New monitor for my GTX 780

Options
  • 20-11-2015 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

So I am looking at investing in a new monitor. Budget of maybe 300 euro. My thinking would be a 144hz 1080p 27inch if that is within budget. I have a 27inch 1080p at the moment but that is a few years old at this stage.

My thinking would be that this monitor would be best suited for my GPU and any higher resolution would start putting it under pressure. I guess im trying to go more for quality rather than quantity.

I have never really put much thought into buying a monitor so just looking for peoples thoughts on the limiting factor of the GPU and a suitable monitor to go for.

Was looking at this one for example.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

That monitor is 540 euro plus shipping, is that really in your budget? If you want budget G-sync 144 Hz, this is probably the one:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/24-acer-predator-xb240ha-144hz-g-sync-widescreen-tn-led-backlit-1920x1080-80m1-1ms-displayport-hdmi-

Comes to about 383 euro plus free shipping. I'd say they have similar image quality in terms of colors/contrast/speed. But you'd be paying 160 euros extra for 27 inches vs 24 inches. They're the same resolution (1080p) so you'll get identical FPS on either.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

Ya thanks I was probably getting a bit carried away with myself.

Im wondering if I would be able to push it to 1440p though or would I start to see a significant decrease in fps?

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

1440p would drop your fps by roughly 30-40% from 1080p. Do you mean 1440p G-sync? Then you're talking 750 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, the price of G-Sync is just mental. I bought a 4K monitor but has since realised it's just even too much for my 980Ti, so now I'm thinking of a nice 1440p monitor. I only wanted to spend about €500 but it seems mad that I can only get a 1080p g-sync display for that money...seems totally redundant with a 980ti anyway as at 1080p it's wasted.

I suppose a regular decent 1440p display is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

God dam g-sync is so dear. They are even a fair bit dearer than the freesync monitors from a quick look on scan.

I was looking at your 4k monitor @terrorfirmer. Definitely be too much for my card so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's not that it's 'too much' exactly I suppose, but definitely not capable of running all games at high-ultra at 4k.

In the absurd situation now where I spent €1.5k on the 980Ti and the 4K, when I would have been better off keeping my 390X and getting a 1440p free-sync monitor.

Advertisement