Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS from HDD - SSD

Options
  • 20-11-2015 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

So just got myself a SSD, now what I want to do is just transfer the Operating System from my 1TB HDD, to my new SSD. Now I realise theres loads of software to clone drives and just swap to new drive, but I want to leave the likes of games etc on the 1TB. So is there any way of swapping JUST the operating system, rather then bringing everything over? Or is a fresh install the easy way out.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

There are cloning tools but you'd likely need to get your 1tb drive down to under 256GB (o whatever the size of your SSD) before starting. I would recommend reinstalling over cloning. No harm doing so every so often either :) .

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

yoyo wrote: »
    There are cloning tools but you'd likely need to get your 1tb drive down to under 256GB (o whatever the size of your SSD) before starting. I would recommend reinstalling over cloning. No harm doing so every so often either :) .

Nick

+1 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭killym

ESpecially when Your old system is old enough to put a brand new on brand new ssd. That's the way i see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

That depends on the system. I migrated fedora linux from a hdd to an sdd a while ago and the process was quick without any problems. Boot time went down from 57s to 17s

Advertisement