Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free iPad mini 2 with Sunday Times subscription (18 months)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Iyaibeji

Hopefully.
    Patience is not a virtue of mine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Hi roakleyIRL

I have a quick question...if you wouldn't mind answering....

There currently is an offer of £20/annum for the digital pack for students via Unidays - link

Do you know if this student offer allows access to Irish Content? How does this offer compare to the iPad offer (i.e. does it provide the subscriber with the same access privileges?)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

kala85 wrote: »
    Im a bit disappointed with the app to be honest in that it is not the same as the other Sunday Times itunes app. The other app allows you to actually see the newspaper and read it as if you bought it in the shop.

Can someone elaborate on the above - using an Android tablet doesn't give you the "actual paper look"?

I'd be tempted on this but I purchase the Sunday Times every week. I like the real paper and would have this nagging feeling that I was paying twice for the same product.

Now if the offer included the paper version every week (via post or coupon for redemption in local newsagent) I would be sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    Can someone elaborate on the above - using an Android tablet doesn't give you the "actual paper look"?

I'd be tempted on this but I purchase the Sunday Times every week. I like the real paper and would have this nagging feeling that I was paying twice for the same product.

Now if the offer included the paper version every week (via post or coupon for redemption in local newsagent) I would be sold.

Sure, what's in it for them if that was the case? Which it's not.

roakleyIRL wrote: »
    Hi, I work for The Times Ireland edition. The app you have here is the smartphone app - it will work on a tablet but it would be better to download the tablet edition app from the playstore as it will work much better on your tablet and has better features etc

I can't post a link here as I am a new user but it is in the app store and is called

Times & ST - Ireland edition -

The image you should see is of a tablet with a headline - Courts can't cope with water cases and a photo of a model in a green cardigan

On closer inspection I have the android tablet app and it is indeed missing sections, only one part of both India Knight's and Brenda Power's columns are accessible. No issue with iPad app.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 roakleyIRL

Birneybau wrote: »
    On closer inspection I have the android tablet app and it is indeed missing sections, only one part of both India Knight's and Brenda Power's columns are accessible. No issue with iPad app.

Hi. This problem has happened to us before and it was my understanding that it was sorted, but obviously not. Thanks for letting me know. I will raise it and work with our production team and try and get it sorted.

It should, of course, work in the app and will aim to make sure it does but in the meantime you could get the rest of the column you missed online. I would post links to both, but I'm a new user and can't do. For Brenda just go to The Sunday Times site, hover on News, click Ireland and scroll down to the picture of Brenda - click on that and it will come up. India Knight is in the main comment section.

Thanks

Hi roakleyIRL

I have a quick question...if you wouldn't mind answering....

There currently is an offer of £20/annum for the digital pack for students via Unidays - L]

Do you know if this student offer allows access to Irish Content? How does this offer compare to the iPad offer (i.e. does it provide the subscriber with the same access privileges?)

Thanks

Sure. The student offer is UK only and applies to the UK edition. I don't have the full detail of what it entitles you to, but the London helpline on our main site would know (sorry - not allowed to post link). As far as I know you get online and smartphone access but not tablet, but again you might be better checking that as I can only really speak for the Ireland edition.

If you signed up for it you would be able to access the Irish content on the main website as all Irish content is there under the Irish News tab on the top right. At the moment the Ireland edition is being marketed in Ireland only.

Thanks

TOMs WIFE wrote: »

Hi,

When using an android tablet and downloading the android tablet app from the Playstore you are sometimes offered the smartphone app through the search function. The android smartphone app will work on tablets but it is not the all-singing, all-dancing tablet app which resembles the printed paper in design etc. A small number of people have ended up using the phone app on tablets and have contacted us wondering why it doesn't look like the ad on TV. So you just need to be a little careful. When you sign up you are sent an email with the exact link for the android tablet app and it is important to follow this. Alternatively you can search for it, but I recommend the latter. If you want to search for it I mentioned the exact term in a previous post. I can't post a link here as I am prevented from doing so. The tablet app has a different image to the smartphone one. It is a tablet with a front page story about water charges and an image of a model in a green cardigan

On the Sunday paper - Our 7-day digital offering includes the ST but the printed paper remains separate.

Thanks

Birneybau wrote: »

Hi again,

I looked into this and there was a problem with one of the design templates we use in the android tablet app. I have been assured it has been identified and fixed, so the issue should not occur again. If you come across it again, please let me know.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Hi - I work for the Ireland edition of The Times - we have a tablet app for iPad and for android and a smartphone app for iPhone etc and android

When you sign up you get sent an email with the links to both but if you want to search for them you can just search - The Times and The Sunday Times Ireland edition and they will come up. When using android it can be a little tricky as sometimes the phone app comes up in the playstore and not the table app. You just need to make sure that you are downloading the tablet app when you are using a tablet. Thanks
    I do the exact same and its perfect :)
    I have asked them will they make the sport app available for Irish customers & they say they will look in to it for a future addition

Hi roakleyIRL

Any idea if the Sport app will be available in Ireland anytime soon. It was great with the UK subscription but not available on the irish sub.

• Advertisement

Hi roakleyIRL

Any idea if the Sport app will be available in Ireland anytime soon. It was great with the UK subscription but not available on the irish sub.

Hi. We are not looking at this right now, but will do at a future stage. We include all the UK sport content in the Ireland edition app and we do almost live goals in our smartphone app in addition to the highlight clips on all platforms. We are working hard to deliver quality Irish sports content and have taken on a great team of writers in Enda McEvoy, Ewan MacKenna, Paul Keane, Adam Redmond, Garry Doyle, Christy O'Connor etc - we are also able to bring readers Denis Walsh, Peter O'Reilly and Mick Foley etc on a mid-week basis now too as they are writing for the daily and the Sunday. There has been big investment in writers and highlights packages - Henry Winter, AP McCoy - being examples and we are lucky in that we have content from other UK writers such as Tony Cascarino and Matt Dickinson. We have improvements to come soon to our website and smartphone offering and after those we will definitely look at this. It would be nice to have it for Irish subscribers and I will push for it. We are only running a few months and we intend to improve the Irish offering as we go along. We will also listen to our subscribers. So, duly noted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

I was looking at signing up as i just find the Irish times to have dropped towards the standards of the hysterical indo (one publication i despise as they just seem to write hysterical articles on any and every small crimes that occurs and ignore proper news)

Anyway I'm one for checking cancellation terms and i see The Times will only permit cancellation by calling some call centre who i presume will keep you on the phone for as long as possible to stop you cancelling aka Sky TV.

Considering joining up is via an online firm, surely cancellation should be offered via an online link or even email as per The Irish Times?

This policy has made me decide not to take a subscription.

If it changes, I'll change my mind.

VincePP wrote: »
    I was looking at signing up as i just find the Irish times to have dropped towards the standards of the hysterical indo (one publication i despise as they just seem to write hysterical articles on any and every small crimes that occurs and ignore proper news)

Anyway I'm one for checking cancellation terms and i see The Times will only permit cancellation by calling some call centre who i presume will keep you on the phone for as long as possible to stop you cancelling aka Sky TV.

Considering joining up is via an online firm, surely cancellation should be offered via an online link or even email as per The Irish Times?

Hi, So the terms and conditions are set and are similar to other similar products in the market. I know you have read them, but for others this is the section on how to cancel below. You can email and we will call you or you can call using a freephone number. I can't put the email address here as it won't let me but it is in section 3 of our terms and conditions on our website.

The reason we do this by phone is that it is the quickest way to cancel. Sometimes people might have missed a payment or have a cancelled credit card or other issue etc - so we need to clear with them what payments they owe or confirm they don't anything etc. This is achieved more easily by phone.

If they cancelled by online form there could be a delay between us getting it and taking action which would mean they would incur further fees etc and we want to avoid that. It is the simplest and best way to cancel. The call team will listen to what you want and will cancel.

If you sign up to the iPad deal it is an 18-month contract - you can cancel within the first 14 days.

It is easy to cancel as I have not had anyone tell me they tried and couldn't get it done.

I can't change our terms and conditions, but if you sign up and have a problem cancelling through the phone service when you want to, you can just get in contact with me here and I'll personally sort it out.

Richie

From our website:

If you would like to cancel within 14 days of the start of your membership, we advise you to cancel via telephone, as this will instantly confirm your cancellation. Alternatively, you may email from your registered email address, telling us you'd like to cancel or including the completed form below and we will contact you regarding your request. These additional cancellation options are only available to members who would like to cancel within 14 days of their membership start date.

Hi, So the terms and conditions are set and are similar to other similar products in the market. I know you have read them, but for others this is the section on how to cancel below. You can email and we will call you or you can call using a freephone number. I can't put the email address here as it won't let me but it is in section 3 of our terms and conditions on our website.

The reason we do this by phone is that it is the quickest way to cancel. Sometimes people might have missed a payment or have a cancelled credit card or other issue etc - so we need to clear with them what payments they owe or confirm they don't owe anything etc. This is achieved more easily by phone.

If they cancelled by online form there could be a delay between us getting it and taking action which would mean they would incur further fees etc and we want to avoid that. It is the simplest and best way to cancel. The call team will listen to what you want and will cancel.

If you sign up to the iPad deal it is an 18-month contract - you can cancel within the first 14 days.

It is easy to cancel as I have not had anyone tell me they tried and couldn't get it done.

I can't change our terms and conditions, but if you sign up and have a problem cancelling through the phone service when you want to, you can just get in contact with me here and I'll personally sort it out.

Richie

From our website:

If you would like to cancel within 14 days of the start of your membership, we advise you to cancel via telephone, as this will instantly confirm your cancellation. Alternatively, you may email from your registered email address, telling us you'd like to cancel or including the completed form below and we will contact you regarding your request. These additional cancellation options are only available to members who would like to cancel within 14 days of their membership start date.

That's if you cancel within 14days.

However if i wish to cancel after 3 months (assuming i don't sign to 18month contract) then the only option is to call a call centre.

This in my opinion is an unfair practice used (and complained about by many) by SKY tv.

Its very anti consumer and I just won't accept such conditions.

Look at Irish times - simply send an email, or Netflix, simply click a button.

However if i wish to cancel after 3 months (assuming i don't sign to 18month contract) then the only option is to call a call centre.

This in my opinion is an unfair practice used (and complained about by many) by SKY tv.

Hi. It's your call. I take your point, but I am not in a position to change our terms and conditions. All I can say is that it is a fairly simple process. You call us. You tell us you want to cancel. We cancel. There are no hidden tricks etc. Other people have cancelled successfully and if we were messing people around I can imagine they would all be on here complaining.

Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭raytaxi

Richie I did try and cancel lol was a day too late. I didn't realise that first day counted as day one, talked to supervisor who said I was too late to cancel. Had to send an email to an address that never answered. Was not happy,I would never recommend on phone if fact that was what put me off. But in fairness the paper/ app works so much better on iPad. That I can recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hi all -

For those who signed up for the offer for the sake of getting a half decent tablet with an easy payment option and not really caring about the paper itself-

Can you tell me if I sign up now is it 5 Euro taken immediately, 5 Euro next week, then the following week it'll be the 14 day trial period ended and the iPad will be posted,then it's a fiver a week for the 18 months then cancel when it's done?..

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

€21.67 is taken at signup and then €21.67 every month after.

• Advertisement

raytaxi wrote: »
    Richie I did try and cancel lol was a day too late. I didn't realise that first day counted as day one, talked to supervisor who said I was too late to cancel. Had to send an email to an address that never answered. Was not happy,I would never recommend on phone if fact that was what put me off. But in fairness the paper/ app works so much better on iPad. That I can recommend.

Hi, We are working on updating the phone and our website - we will have developments on the website soon and the phone will follow. When we launched in Ireland we inherited the existing UK website and smartphone set-up which had been around a while. In the UK there are plans to update both web and smartphone and we will benefit from that too. You are right in terms of the tablet app. It is our best product and it's the one we really want people to try us on which is where the idea for the free iPads came from.

Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eils1985

Hi I'm wondering how the I pad is being delivered I have got a email to say it is on its way but wondering if it's through currier or an post

It will come by courier - there should be tracking details in the email - there have been a few cases where it has come earlier than expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

While that of course is your prerogative, just to say when I rang to cancel the call lasted about 20 seconds.

Why would you like to cancel?
    Complete lack of Irish football coverage.
    Okay, thanks. You still have 3 days to use the service as you've paid up to such and such.

Very simple.

podge018 wrote: »
    While that of course is your prerogative, just to say when I rang to cancel the call lasted about 20 seconds.

Why would you like to cancel?
    Complete lack of Irish football coverage.
    Okay, thanks. You still have 3 days to use the service as you've paid up to such and such.

Very simple.

Hi, Just hoping to ask - did you want coverage of SSE Airtiricty League games? We do have acres of football coverage and quality writers on the Irish team scene - Garry Doyle, Paul Rowan etc, but we do know could do more in terms of the domestic club games. We are a new offering and we will be improving all the time, so this is something we will get to and perhaps then we may be able to tempt you back. Glad to hear you did not experience any problems when contacting us.

yes League of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 galwaydoc

Hi Richie

I'm a subscriber to the digital Times. I just wanted to let you know that I usually use the Android tablet version, and it still has lots of content missing. The Alison Doody interview wasn't accessible last Sunday for example. Usually the front covers of each of the Sunday sections are missing apart from the main News page. I get the spinning "Loading" icon, but nothing happens. I've noticed it during the week also, but it's more of an issue with the Sunday Times as I have time to read it cover to cover.

I've downloaded the UK Times version, which is perfect, and find I have to sometimes skip between the two editions to get what I want - interesting to see how the Irish edition is edited a little differently! However, it still leaves me without some Irish content.

My wife uses the iPad version, which seems to be fine.

Hope you get this sorted soon, because otherwise I'm delighted with the sub.

galwaydoc wrote: »
    Hi Richie

I'm a subscriber to the digital Times. I just wanted to let you know that I usually use the Android tablet version, and it still has lots of content missing. The Alison Doody interview wasn't accessible last Sunday for example. Usually the front covers of each of the Sunday sections are missing apart from the main News page. I get the spinning "Loading" icon, but nothing happens. I've noticed it during the week also, but it's more of an issue with the Sunday Times as I have time to read it cover to cover.

I've downloaded the UK Times version, which is perfect, and find I have to sometimes skip between the two editions to get what I want - interesting to see how the Irish edition is edited a little differently! However, it still leaves me without some Irish content.

My wife uses the iPad version, which seems to be fine.

Hope you get this sorted soon, because otherwise I'm delighted with the sub.

Hi, Glad to hear you like it. Sorry to hear about the tech issues. I have raised it with the tech team here and it will hopefully be sorted asap.

Thanks, Richie

podge018 wrote: »
    yes League of Ireland.

Sure, thanks. This is now on our radar.

If they make cancellation option easier and not having to phone someone, I'd sign up immediately.

An easy cancellation policy shows confidence in the product (aka Irish Times or Netflix or Eir for 3 examples) and would encourage more people to sign up.

Recently Retail Excellence Ireland showed how on retail websites many people check the returns policy before they check delivery rates as they see it as a very important aspect of their choice of website. Equally subscription based services have their cancellation policy checked.

Having to phone someone and possibly have to listen to 30 minutes of hard sell aka SKY tv, puts people off. So maybe suggest to them that a email cancellation option should be added (obviously subject to whatever terms and conditions that were agreed). But phone only cancellation will never see me as a subscriber - no matter what assurances are given.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

• Advertisement

mccard wrote: »

What's your point? Some people like myself can afford €22 per month but not €250 up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I subscribed on the iPad offer in January and it has worked well for me. Prior to this I used to alternate between the print edition of The Times and either the Irish Times or the Examiner, and took the Sunday Times at the weekend. I am very happy with the Irish content and can look with one eye at mad Melanie Philips' weekly column :)

Just pointing out that the tablet was quoted at €309 numerous times in this thread. Maybe it might be beneficial to some people considering to sign up.

Just to note you can't buy it from Amazon without a uk address. I tried using parcel motel address in Belfast and it said there was restrictions.

There are plenty of other suppliers on Amazon. Just search for Ipad Mini 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Just pointing out that the tablet was quoted at €309 numerous times in this thread. Maybe it might be beneficial to some people considering to sign up.

Still €309 from Apple and other shops locally. There's almost always a cheaper source online somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

guil wrote: »
    Just to note you can't buy it from Amazon without a uk address. I tried using parcel motel address in Belfast and it said there was restrictions.

Some people aren't able to afford coughing up 300 quid immediately so a payment can be rather beneficial to others.

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Some people aren't able to afford coughing up 300 quid immediately so a payment can be rather beneficial to others.

Did you read my last post before the one you quoted? It was basically what you said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

guil wrote: »
    Did you read my last post before the one you quoted? It was basically what you said.

My apologies, I didn't see your post.

Apologies for pointing out that this tablet can be purchased for less than €250; you are basically paying €150 to read an online paper.

My bad.

• Advertisement

Apologies for pointing out that this tablet can be purchased for less than €250; you are basically paying €150 to read an online paper.

My bad.

and.... €8 a month is a bargain for a Times subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Hi folks, just looking for a bit of feedback from people who took up subscriptions....any good? Are you happy that it's worth it? Is the Sunday times laid out like the newspaper or do u click into articles like u would on independent.ie?

My story is that I've relocated abroad so getting paper copy Sunday times is gone and I kind of miss the supplements. I'm thinking in that case that it's a no brainer for me and sure the bonus of a free iPad makes it even more tempting. U can never have enough screens!!

Am I right in saying its a no brainer if u can't get the hard copy??

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Hi folks, just looking for a bit of feedback from people who took up subscriptions....any good? Are you happy that it's worth it? Is the Sunday times laid out like the newspaper or do u click into articles like u would on independent.ie?

My story is that I've relocated abroad so getting paper copy Sunday times is gone and I kind of miss the supplements. I'm thinking in that case that it's a no brainer for me and sure the bonus of a free iPad makes it even more tempting. U can never have enough screens!!

Do it, I'm delighted. App not so great on Android though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You're right:)
    I normally click on a few links in the daily email I get and maybe a few once I go to the main site.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Livefornow

Have actually been pleasantly surprised by how good the app is on the IPad. i previously (on an android tablet) used Independent.ie as my go to news source but have rarely used it on the iPad as I find the Times apps (Irish & UK editions) very comprehensive and enjoyable reading.
    I think the offer represents great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Does anyone else find the volume of Irish news to be a bit bare, after a few pages its mainly English news.. Thought there'd be more Irish news than there currently is.. Would definitely get more news from say the Irish times and independent newspapers and their apps

The tablet app for android is called Times & St - Ireland edition

Hi, I see you've been helping people with their queries. I've a pretty major one....I just signed up to the subscription as I have recently moved abroad to bahrain with work and wanted to keep in touch with the Sunday times even if digital.however when I went to install app it says it's not available in my country!it's the android one.what's that all about?is it the same for ios?surely one of the points of an online edition and app is for people like me who can't get the print edition because of their location? Is this the case or just a bug? Am I screwed here? Can I at least access via the desktop sits? Please help.....I was really looking forward to flicking through a digital version of the paper but it seems I've been sold a pup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Hi, I see you've been helping people with their queries. I've a pretty major one....I just signed up to the subscription as I have recently moved abroad to bahrain with work and wanted to keep in touch with the Sunday times even if digital.however when I went to install app it says it's not available in my country!it's the android one.what's that all about?is it the same for ios?surely one of the points of an online edition and app is for people like me who can't get the print edition because of their location? Is this the case or just a bug? Am I screwed here? Can I at least access via the desktop sits? Please help.....I was really looking forward to flicking through a digital version of the paper but it seems I've been sold a pup!

You can side-load the APK to bypass market restrictions. You need somebody with the app already installed to extract it.

You can side-load the APK to bypass market restrictions. You need somebody with the app already installed to extract it.

Thanks...that sounds like a plan except how do I do that? Plus I don't know anyone with the app.....

• Advertisement

Thanks...that sounds like a plan except how do I do that? Plus I don't know anyone with the app.....

Advertisement