Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 2016 (Apr 18)

Options
  • 20-11-2015 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭

The spring marathon threads are starting to appear so about time we got Boston on the list. (Very late this year - the 2015 thread was started a year before the event by DrQ.)

Who's in? I see from the entrant list there are 104 Irish citizens entered, half of them living abroad.

Anyway, let's start sharing any Boston-specific training (and travel) tips. Advice from Boston grads always welcome! I'm thinking extra downhill work would be a good thing?

Useful links:
    Race website
    Course Profile (courtesy of tfbubendorfer)

Previous threads:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Finally got around to booking my flights & accommodation. Cheap it is not!
    Probably my last foreign marathon for a long time (excluding London).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Finally got around to booking my flights & accommodation. Cheap it is not!
    Probably my last foreign marathon for a long time (excluding London).

Went with Airbnb myself, double room €470 for six nights in Cambridge with a 'Superhost' (134 5* reviews). Can't decide on the flights, skyscanner has Dublin/Boston via London at €914 or direct with Aerlingus at €1174 at the minute for two. Tempted by the London option but extra hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

I am in. No flights booked yet but have hotel secured although it is a hell of a lot dearer than neilc's Airbnb option!

Haven't looked at training plans yet. Will probably give P&D 55-70 another go with plenty of downhill quad busting training routes.

neilc wrote: »
    Went with Airbnb myself, double room €470 for six nights in Cambridge with a 'Superhost' (134 5* reviews). Can't decide on the flights, skyscanner has Dublin/Boston via London at €914 or direct with Aerlingus at €1174 at the minute for two. Tempted by the London option but extra hassle!

You did very well with the accommodation. I paid more than that for three nights in the same area!

I'm curious as to how your flights are so expensive though? I got mine for €609 and only booked them four days ago.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    You did very well with the accommodation. I paid more than that for three nights in the same area!

I'm curious as to how your flights are so expensive though? I got mine for €609 and only booked them four days ago.

Sorry that price is for myself and the missus.
    Yeah delighted with the accommodation, right beside the subway too, should work out good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Stayed last year in Midtown Hotel on Hunnington Ave. Less then half a mile to star/finish and expo ~$200 a night for a double room. Basic 3 star with no onsite bar/restaurant but loads of those in the area.

Anyone close to a a green or red T line on Air BNB will have no issues getting to the start area on the day of the race (Boston Common)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Booked flights today - good deal available at 455 return on BA/Aer Lingus (direct flights) via skyscanner.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Booked flights today - good deal available at 455 return on BA/Aer Lingus (direct flights) via skyscanner.

Jumped on the same deal. Thanks to a heads up from Murph. Happy days!

Ffs :(

That's what I get for being organised!

Hey, I deleted my skyscanner alert so I wouldn't have to hear things like this!!
    :)

Well done great price!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

After considering changing tack to Rotterdam (there's a gazillion from the Cru going there) I did up the plan last night to land on Boston. The jacket has made my mind up for me :p. The 15 week plan starts in the New Year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

After considering changing tack to Rotterdam (there's a gazillion from the Cru going there).

Added attraction TbL might be in Rotterdam tho......

tang1 wrote: »
    Added attraction TbL might be in Rotterdam tho......

Might be.....unless I was going and then it would be "won't be" despite best efforts...

Lots of posters here have done Boston before. Any tips on how to train for it? And how to run it on the day? What would you do differently if you were doing it again?

Lots of posters here have done Boston before. Any tips on how to train for it? And how to run it on the day? What would you do differently if you were doing it again?

Well - this will be my 3rd Boston and I wish I had an answer for you. The majority of my marathons have been negative splits or very close to even splits but NOT Boston. A 3 minute positive split in 2013 and a 5 minute positive split in 2015. The Newton Hills sapped all my energy in 2013 however in 2015 I felt good after cresting Heartbreak Hill but I still slowed up - driving rain and a strong headwind probably had as much to do with this though.

Its still a bit of a rollercoaster to the finish from the top of Heartbreak Hill and one thing I noticed was I couldn't up the pace on the downhill bits in the last 5 miles because my legs were too sore. I intend to do a couple of hilly long runs with some downhill towards the end of them - nothing too extreme though.

So my advice would be to

0 - train as you normally would
    1 - allow for a minute or so positive split
    2 - do some downhill running to strengthen the quads (but don't risk injury)
    3 - pray for a strong westerly wind :)

met wideball, meno and Dory Dory at the pasta party earlier. all in good shape.

Meno you were on about an immediate post-race pub. Clery's in Dartmouth Street is a good one - scene of previous Boards recovery the year of the big burnup...

How about we head there after the finish?
    I know it's early to be considering a pub but just found this on the 2014 thread!

neilc wrote: »
    I know it's early to be considering a pub but just found this on the 2014 thread!

Never too early. Fail to prepare......

Just bumping this up. We've all been very quiet here since we went private ;)

Just bumping this up. We've all been very quiet here since we went private ;)

Maybe we need to start a table Paulie.....will dig out my bib number and kick it off as soon I get to PC if no one else gets to it first :)

• Advertisement

Here we are - fancy one with a sort and all :)

Name|Bib|Target Time|Actual Time
    PaulieYifter|2898|2:55:30

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Good luck Paulie!

PaulieYifter|2898|2:55:30|
    FBOT01|4827|2:59:xx|

Anything with a 2 in front of it will work for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

FBOT01 wrote: »

Anything with a 2 in front of it will work for me :)

22.59:59!!!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

pair of ff'in sandbaggers.

yaboya1|3988|<2:59:04|

Name|Bib|PB|Target Time|Actual Time
    PaulieYifter|2898||2:55:30|
    FBOT01|4827||2:59:xx|
    yaboya1|3988||<2:59:04|
    Murph_D|16510|3:29:16|3:19:xx|

Added PB column, mainly to make my target look less cigaresque. :D

I'm very impressed with those low bib numbers, lads. I'll be down the back.

Bring it on. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

The real race is finishing higher then your bib Number

ger664 wrote: »
    The real race is finishing higher then your bib Number

Good point. I'm sure that can be arranged. ;)

• Advertisement

Good point. I'm sure that can be arranged. ;)

Don't forget, D that you are giving 16000 runners at least a 25min head start :)

Advertisement