Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston Marathon 2016 (Apr 18)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I'm just back on line. Well done all, sounds like it got really difficult out there. Is ther a time for NeilC and murph?i don't have tracker here.

edit, see the results now..

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Jesus that sounds like it was/is tough. Well done everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Oh man. Been popping in and out this evening. Absolutely gutted, what a day. Enjoy the beers and know we all feel your pain. And as Gavlor says, there's always Cork.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

All happy and in a pub now... Verdict from everyone... Brutal course and conditions.

Tough being a supporter too, was very worrying :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »
    All happy and in a pub now... Verdict from everyone... Brutal course and conditions.

Tough being a supporter too, was very worrying :p

anna pass on our best won't you?! well done guys! enjoy the beers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Firedance wrote:
    anna pass on our best won't you?! well done guys! enjoy the beers

I second that. Well done lads, I'm dead proud of you!

Firedance wrote: »
    serious amounts of HTFU going on here today, very proud of the guys for sticking to the finish despite everything

I just want to say this again, once doesn't seem quite enough, for all of you, from all of us, we are very proud of the determination you showed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I just want to say this again, once doesn't seem quite enough, for all of you, from all of us, we are very proud of the determination you showed today.

+++++1 to this. Serious grit and determination showed out there today, I can't even begin to imagine the mental strength that it took to finish that race in those conditions. Each and every one of you that crossed the line, take a bow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Feckin sunshine :(.

Well done to all of you in those conditions. One to chalk up to experience. Enjoy the downtime for the next day or two...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great to see this thread finally came alive! :pac:

It was certainly an experience out there. The conditions seemed to come out of nowhere. I was hosed by 10k myself, it was just a grind from there to the finish that got slower and slower. You had to laugh really in the end. The whole second half race felt like an LSR from back in the 2012 novice marathon days. Survival was the order of the day really by 13 miles. Seriously impressive performance by Paulie in the conditions. Thanks for all the online support!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Runner2012

Brutal out there. Started in wave 3 at
    10.50 So pretty much got the worst of the heat. The wind was something else.

Crowd support was Incredible - boston puts on some show
    #bostonstrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great to see this thread finally came alive! :pac:

It was certainly an experience out there. The conditions seemed to come out of nowhere. I was hosed by 10k myself, it was just a grind from there to the finish that got slower and slower. You had to laugh really in the end. The whole second half race felt like an LSR from back in the 2012 novice marathon days. Survival was the order of the day really by 13 miles. Seriously impressive performance by Paulie in the conditions. Thanks for all the online support!

Were you wearing a blue singlet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

No, had the Cru vest on. The "Go, Crusader!" shouts kept me in it for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done everyone. Jeez that looks tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Gavlor wrote: »

Thought that was the 3:40 DCM pacing crew of 2014!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

DNF for the exile

No injury at least.
    - no injury just didn't feel right from first mile and just ended up over heated and out of gas. Nowhere to hide on that course

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Paddy O'Leary from these shores, Co. Wexford, to be exact ran a great Boston marathon. 2:37 despite the tough conditions. 103th overall. Listed as USA in the entrants but as Irish as you get. Was a 'warm-up' for a 100k ultra he is doing in a couple of weeks :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Gavlor wrote: »

I think FBOT was just behind that guy, he was spotted in some of the photos...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Did they come back to pick him up??!!

Too soon maybe....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Is that the young man who was second in Annacurra a few years ago Slogger?

Solid progress if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Cheers Folks for all the virtual support and good wishes. The potential commentary on here did come into my mind on a couple of occasions as the race progressed.

As you all know by now it turned out to be very hot on the day. Too hot for me and my race turned into a death march after 10m when my hips locked up. But it was Boston and the support was like nothing I have every experienced and after 20m or so when I accepted that there was nothing I could do to change the outcome the support made the pain bearable. None more so than our own crew of cheerleaders in mile 24. It would be wrong to say I ended up enjoying it but I certainly ended up embracing it....even threw in a few airplanes on the finishing straight for the crowd. They played a big part in getting me that far so felt obliged to give something back ;)

Will post all the gory detail over on my log in the coming days.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

demfad wrote: »
    Is that the young man who was second in Annacurra a few years ago Slogger?

Solid progress if so.

Yep. Won Powerscourt ridge through the bog wearing hokas aswell :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Thanks for all the support.

Reading back on the in-running commentary on this is hilarious, especially the numerous sightings of Murph_D wearing a blue t-shirt in Wave 2.

He was still waiting to start the race in Wave 3 while people were picking him out on tv :D.

I hope he's never asked to participate in a police line up. I shudder to think of the consequences.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

tang1 wrote: »
    Tall dude in shades and blue singlet, not Murph.

Not everyone was fooled P!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Not everyone was fooled P!!

Ever consider changing jobs. . . .You'd make a great Detective!!;)

Younganne wrote: »
    Ever consider changing jobs. . . .You'd make a great Detective!!;)

Ha, yer man looked nothing like Murph - no special skills involved in sussing that out :D

Ha, yer man looked nothing like Murph - no special skills involved in sussing that out :D

Didn't see you pointing it out it wasn't him, in fact didn't you say the stream wouldn't work for you!!

Didn't see you pointing it out it wasn't him, in fact didn't you say the stream wouldn't work for you!!

its one post above yours detective tang!

• Advertisement

its one post above yours detective tang!

Good job on editing the post!!

Advertisement