Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does the bell mean when rang in the Aviva?

• 20-11-2015 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

During soccer matches in the Aviva sometimes someone rings a bell and the crowd all goes "Wahey!!".
    What's this about?
    Does it happen during matches in all stadiums?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

During soccer matches in the Aviva sometimes someone rings a bell and the crowd all goes "Wahey!!".
    What's this about?

I remember it happening sporadically too back when I was about 12 or 13 in the old Lansdowne Road and I've heard it at every home game since.

I assume its just a dude with a bell whos at pretty much every Irish game. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I remember it happening sporadically too back when I was about 12 or 13 in the old Lansdowne Road and I've heard it at every home game since.

I assume its just a dude with a bell whos at pretty much every Irish game. :o

There's actually two. One seems to be coming from South stand one from East. It's silly but breaks up silences so not a bad thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It's one of those bells from mass

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Probably the same lad who does it at Pats games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

It means you have to cheer and say "waaaahhhhhheeeeeeeyyyyyyyy"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its a lad called Jimmy Finnerty, I used to bowl against him in a league a few years ago. He's been doing it for ages now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Amirani wrote: »
    Probably the same lad who does it at Pats games.

I hate that fcuking bell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

dreamers75 wrote: »
    When you're on TV I mute it just in case ye score. Someone needs to have a word with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Ah I like it. Been going to south stand at Lansdowne old and new for about twenty years and the bell always there in that time as far as I remember.

Would love to know where he got it. Robbed from a church?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Went to Maine Road on a few occasions in the past and at every single game there was an elderly lady behind one of the goals and every time City were attacking her goal she would ring the bell with gusto.

We would have been sitting in the stand opposite the Kippax I think it was called, I'm not a City fan and it's a good few year back now, but this lady was behind the goal to our left for each game.

Any City fans know the story there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

When I was a kid going to games used to like the rattle some lad had at pats. Dunno what it was about it just had some kind of old school feeling about it. Grew to hate it though, maybe because it followed a 10 year losing streak. Can't stand that bell though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

What's this about?

It's a reference to back when a warning bell would ring at the level crossing when the train was passing AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I always thought the bell rang everytime the DART went by the old stadium. I've no idea why i thought that. Maybe because i seen the DART go by a couple of times when the bell was ringing and just two and two together..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

I like the bell personally as it gives the ground a bit of character. Could see how it would get annoying after a while if you were standing on the Camac but from the main stand or the Inchicore end its fine.

monkey9 wrote: »
    I always thought the bell rang everytime the DART went by the old stadium. I've no idea why i thought that. Maybe because i seen the DART go by a couple of times when the bell was ringing and just two and two together..

So i am right in saying that the bell in the old Lansdowne was actually a bell at the crossing rather than a fan, but someone in the new Lansdowne is ringing a bell?

kksaints wrote: »
    I like the bell personally as it gives the ground a bit of character. Could see how it would get annoying after a while if you were standing on the Camac but from the main stand or the Inchicore end its fine.

I'm like yourself in that respect. I absolute understand how other Pat's fans and people watching on tv hate the bell, but i like it. I'm used to it. It reminds me of good times, i.e when the teams are walking out so you have that buzz of the match about to begin and also when we score.

I stand on the Camac and believe me, his bell is so much less annoying than the sh!te you hear from some of the supporters.

So i am right in saying that the bell in the old Lansdowne was actually a bell at the crossing rather than a fan, but someone in the new Lansdowne is ringing a bell?

Yes, although I thought the bell at the crossing had been gotten rid of before old Lansdowne was closed, and that it was a fan ringing it after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I'm like yourself in that respect. I absolute understand how other Pat's fans and people watching on tv hate the bell, but i like it. I'm used to it. It reminds me of good times, i.e when the teams are walking out so you have that buzz of the match about to begin and also when we score.

I stand on the Camac and believe me, his bell is so much less annoying than the sh!te you hear from some of the supporters.

I hear that bell and I feel the urge to stab him and run back to class cos lunch is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

It's head wrecking. I bet the fella ringing it is self endorsed "mad craic"

Gavlor wrote: »
    It's head wrecking. I bet the fella ringing it is self endorsed "mad craic"

Ah he's nothing like that in fairness. He's in his fourties early fifties and he genuinely doesn't seek attention the way other fans do.

I know that may sound strange, but there are some arseholes who shout random sh1t as if they're managing the team.

He just rings the bell as the teams walk out and when we score. That's when everyone else is giving it loads as well.

There are some utter utter arseholes more than him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

There are some utter utter arseholes more than him.

Unfortunately most of them post on boards match threads :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Yes, although I thought the bell at the crossing had been gotten rid of before old Lansdowne was closed, and that it was a fan ringing it after that.

I don't think that's correct, I remember going to games with my dad in the mid 90s and seeing the guy ringing an old kind of school bell, a few fans around said he was from Clondalkin and like another poster said I think his name was Jimmy

duffman13 wrote: »
    I don't think that's correct, I remember going to games with my dad in the mid 90s and seeing the guy ringing an old kind of school bell, a few fans around said he was from Clondalkin and like another poster said I think his name was Jimmy

Yeah that's what I was saying, there was a guy ringing a bell while the old Lansdowne. It was sometime before it closed that it was a bell at the level crossing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Yep, my understanding is that a bell used to ring back in the day when a Dart was coming through. Not sure how long ago that ended, but when it did, someone took over ringing the bell whenever a Dart went past for the craic. Haven't been in the new Aviva so don't know how frequently its now being rung, but it was only 5-6 times a game back when I was a regular in Lansdowne

Have to say, when I went to a rugby match at the Aviva I did miss the bell. It's a bit of crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Love the bell. He always times it well too. Even when I'm at home it raises a smile.

Can't believe people would get so annoyed at a person ringing a bell for a couple of seconds, 2/3 times a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

No, a fan has been ringing it for years, it used to always be in the old South Terrace. People would sing "ring the bell" and he'd ring it.

fullstop wrote: »
    No, a fan has been ringing it for years, it used to always be in the old South Terrace. People would sing "ring the bell" and he'd ring it.

I'm pretty sure we are talking about a good few years ago, honestly I've heard it too many times to be based on nothing. I might take a look at old train sites later to see if there were level crossings with bells here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I'm pretty sure we are talking about a good few years ago, honestly I've heard it too many times to be based on nothing. I might take a look at old train sites later to see if there were level crossings with bells here.

Grew up near Lanssowne Road and would often be down by the DART station. Never remember a bell ringing for the level crossing. Remember it in the old Lansdowne though and have always assumed it was the same guy that went to Pats games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Always assumed it was a fan just ringing a bell. Absolute melt. Up there with those people that just "bang" a Bodhrán and do nothing constructive with it. Bring a ****ing drum if you want to just bang something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

TheDoc wrote: »
    Always assumed it was a fan just ringing a bell. Absolute melt. Up there with those people that just "bang" a Bodhrán and do nothing constructive with it. Bring a ****ing drum if you want to just bang something.

How do you want them to do something "constructive" with the Bodrán ?

Play a Planxty tune with it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

How do you want them to do something "constructive" with the Bodrán ?

Play a Planxty tune with it ?

If they want to just do a mind numbing repetitive drum, bring a drum, not a Bodhrán.

Be like bringing a recorder or flute to use as a whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

It's a reference to back when a warning bell would ring at the level crossing when the train was passing AFAIK

Didn't the dart used to give an ol toot of its horn too as it passed if games were on? Have vague recollections of that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Went to Maine Road on a few occasions in the past and at every single game there was an elderly lady behind one of the goals and every time City were attacking her goal she would ring the bell with gusto.

We would have been sitting in the stand opposite the Kippax I think it was called, I'm not a City fan and it's a good few year back now, but this lady was behind the goal to our left for each game.

Any City fans know the story there?

Helen 'The Bell' Turner RIP

PA-391437.jpg

Advertisement