Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Liability Insurance

• 20-11-2015 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I operate my freelance business (v.low income so not registered) from a family members registered business premises.

Getting public liability insurance is expensive, but I would rarely have anyone there while I am working. It would have been a perk of the setup to have the client there, but its not a deal breaker.

Is there a form or document which I could get people to sign which means that they accept and are willing to enter with no public liability insurance? I'm just imagining the odd time which it would be nice to have people in to see the work being done.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭MikeCairo78

A lot going on here.

1 what do you do
    2 how much is too expensive
    3 has your family member told their Insurer that you are operating from there
    4 you can only be held liable for your negligence. If you have someone on site and they trip cause your family member leaves something around then you ain't negligent
    5 why is it beneficial to have client on site
    6 disclaimer worth nothing if someone is negligent for accident / loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

You cannot contract out of your responsibility to others. It doesn't matter if you have public liability insurance or not, people can still sue you if they allege negligence.

I would never move one inch without public liability. Anyone can make the most ridiculous allegations against you and the cost of defending your position can be scaldy. It's a new world out there and you should really reconsider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

A lot going on here.

1 what do you do
    2 how much is too expensive
    3 has your family member told their Insurer that you are operating from there
    4 you can only be held liable for your negligence. If you have someone on site and they trip cause your family member leaves something around then you ain't negligent
    5 why is it beneficial to have client on site
    6 disclaimer worth nothing if someone is negligent for accident / loss

1 - Audio engineering
    2 - 1500 euro per year, which at the moment is not something I can do
    3 - Yes
    4 - Interesting; how about the person tripping over their laces?
    5 - The odd time, it would be good for a client to come in to the room to hear their project in a good sounding space
    6 - Okay, so no kind of "Please sign here to agree" about entering the premises without public liability will not do a bit of good.

At the moment, the public liability which my familys business has is only for people who are on site, relating to their business. So their clients, no one else.

Thanks all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

I would never move one inch without public liability. Anyone can make the most ridiculous allegations against you and the cost of defending your position can be scaldy. It's a new world out there and you should really reconsider

There is nothing here to reconsider; just to make sure it is established I am not trying to dodge or anything else negative.

If the cost of the insurance is too much, then there will be no client on site as it has been established that asking people to sign a waiver, for want of a better word, would not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

No way someone is looking for 1500 for public liability for that. Its location based with no work away. Shouldn't be more than 1K.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

bbk wrote: »
    There is nothing here to reconsider; just to make sure it is established I am not trying to dodge or anything else negative.

If the cost of the insurance is too much, then there will be no client on site as it has been established that asking people to sign a waiver, for want of a better word, would not work.

I'm not for a moment suggesting you are trying to dodge anything, I'm asking that you reconsider getting the cover. Don't forget public liability will also cover any damage you may cause to others, not just injuries. All somebody has to do is accuse you of causing you a problem, no matter how stupid, and you you will easily exceed the cost of your premium trying to make it go away

I'm fairly confident Arachas Insurance have a scheme for well below that figure, so give them a call (not connected) 01 2135000

Advertisement