Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

=Syrian Refugees for Dungarvan=

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Henrsboy wrote: »
    Speaking as a local who lives a stone throw from the hotel. This isn't the ideal location. The hotel is set in a rural location with no access to public transport what so ever. There isn't even a shop out there during the winter. A lot of locals are concerned now that this centre will affect tou!rism in the area. Waterford County Council have now waded in and sent a letter to the hotel as it is breaking planning conditions as it is classified as a hotel and not a reception centre.
    Would it not make sense to place refugees in a urban location were they can integrate with the local community even in the town it's self.

It's strange that Waterford county council are sending letters, complaining about the planning regulations when the hotels in tramore have been used for years with no planning problems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

lertsnim wrote: »
    What the hell are you on about? You haven't a clue about how the real world works.

Someone has to pay for it, and in the real world people pay taxes. The "real world" is not an endless money tree.

Please explain, who is paying and how much it costs per asylum seeker per month. That is the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

dissed doc wrote: »
    Someone has to pay for it, and in the real world people pay taxes. The "real world" is not an endless money tree.

Please explain, who is paying and how much it costs per asylum seeker per month. That is the real world.

Do you really think that staying in Clonea would be cheaper than Dungarvan? Is Dungarvan some sort of expensive metropolis? You still pay the same either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Money is limited in Ireland and my taxes cannot stretch to affording random dozens of asylum seekers town centre accomodation, especially as my taxes that are paying for it, are barely enough to get our elderly a bed in a hospital.

You want urban accomodation for these immigrants, then how about you ****ing pay for it yourself.

I do not earn enough to pay enough tax to suppprt my own family, the pension system, along with another few hundred mouths to feed. You are fresh with cash obviously, moneybags. Easy to spend other people's taxes.

The money comes from the local taxes. How much are you willing to pay for them to have urban accomodation? How about €500 less per month on your payslip? Is that enough?

Your use of English seems to indicate a non native English speaker...If I am wrong - my apologies.

Maybe though you are an immigrant yourself? Maybe East European? Russian? Slav?

I do not earn enough to pay enough tax to suppprt my own family, the pension system, along with another few hundred mouths to feed.

Humm.... bit suspicious there... not really an Irish angle..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

seanaway wrote: »
    Your use of English seems to indicate a non native English speaker...If I am wrong - my apologies.

I do not earn enough to pay enough tax to suppprt my own family, the pension system, along with another few hundred mouths to feed.

Why is that not really an irish angle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Why is it not an Irish angle, and in saying that, why are you bringing race into it, bigot. The government doesn't magic up money from a pot of ****ing gold, it is not a parent taxpaying Irish are not children.

The tax is deducted from my payslip. We already have trouble supporting schools and hospitals. You want more money from my ****ing taxpayments to get "free" housing in a town centre that would cost me or you or anyone else hundreds of thousands of euros.

You question my right to determine what my tax is spent on. Who the **** are you to have that level of arrogance?

Am I not actung downtrodden enough with a delusion of the government being a surrogate parent to be "Irish enough" you racist bigot. Maybe you dont like to have native Irish people associate the services they pay for with the taxes deducted or the people that get into power that make these decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Ok. We shouldn't take any refugees at all is what I am getting from your posts.

cerastes wrote: »
    Why is that not really an irish angle?
    You haven't really addressed the point I made ...address that then we can go to your point .... That's how it works...

Why is it not an Irish angle, and in saying that, why are you bringing race into it, bigot. The government doesn't magic up money from a pot of ****ing gold, it is not a parent taxpaying Irish are not children.

The tax is deducted from my payslip. We already have trouble supporting schools and hospitals. You want more money from my ****ing taxpayments to get "free" housing in a town centre that would cost me or you or anyone else hundreds of thousands of euros.

You question my right to determine what my tax is spent on. Who the **** are you to have that level of arrogance?

Am I not actung downtrodden enough with a delusion of the government being a surrogate parent to be "Irish enough" you racist bigot. Maybe you dont like to have native Irish people associate the services they pay for with the taxes deducted or the people that get into power that make these decisions.

Kettle/pot springs to mind...however, let me correct you or maybe enlighten you.

1. I didn't bring race into it. I merely questioned your background. This is quite acceptable given the topic and your previous comments - which to any normal/sane/ non-racist would appear to be racist.
    2. Your use of English is, somewhat, poor and non-native in its structure - and let's face it - nonsense. e.g. " it is not a parent taxpaying Irish are not children." Hence the above question.
    3. Now, racist is a strange thing to conclude from what I have written prior to this. especially when you look at, perhaps a freudian slip of yours? "Am I not actung downtrodden enough with a delusion of the government being a surrogate parent......" A VERY strange choice of word for someone who calls others racist. Look into your own heart first I think would be good advice for you.
    4.And I quote---- You question my right to determine what my tax is spent on. Who the **** are you to have that level of arrogance?
    Answer: Nope. Just the WAY you question...and in such strange use of language- see above for examples...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

So is there any more news as to what is happening? News is supposed to be transparent or is it underhanded again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Has no one even considered the effect on the tourist industry in Clonea? It will completely destroy. 100 refugees in a hotel in the middle of nowhere = modern day ghetto. No integration. They need to be spread not kept together for them to become poor and not integrated! Please get onto the local td's and newspapers. What other way is there.

Disgraceful this type of thinking in the 21st Century.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Has no one even considered the effect on the tourist industry in Clonea? It will completely destroy. 100 refugees in a hotel in the middle of nowhere = modern day ghetto. No integration. They need to be spread not kept together for them to become poor and not integrated! Please get onto the local td's and newspapers. What other way is there.

Disgraceful this type of thinking in the 21st Century.

Agree with one. One thing I think needs to be highlighted here though.

The refugees heading for Clonea will NOT be staying there for more than 10 weeks. It is a temporary stop before being moved to another location on a permanant basis.

Interestingly, not one politician has mentioned that if the figures are correct then given it's a 2 year contract we would be looking at a total of approx. 1,000 over that period. This represents a quarter of ALL refugees being brought in on this programme.

The way this has been handled does not inspire confidence in the process of vetting these people.

Agree with one. One thing I think needs to be highlighted here though.

The refugees heading for Clonea will NOT be staying there for more than 10 weeks. It is a temporary stop before being moved to another location on a permanant basis.

Interestingly, not one politician has mentioned that if the figures are correct then given it's a 2 year contract we would be looking at a total of approx. 1,000 over that period. This represents a quarter of ALL refugees being brought in on this programme.

The way this has been handled does not inspire confidence in the process of vetting these people.

Complete lack of transparent information will confuse people. Why aren't the media publishing the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

You haven't really addressed the point I made ...address that then we can go to your point .... That's how it works...

I asked you what you meant by that line, sidelining by refusing to clarify what you mean by a certain line is no help, it looks like you'll only answer agree with what agrees with your opinion and sidetrack anything else.
    So you seem to have more than a passing interest, I'm Irish so does my opinion count?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Nice to see Waterford doing its bit to help these poor people in their time of need as they flee from the twin horrors of Asad & ISIS.

We should all do what we can to help them feel welcome and to to adapt to living in a strange country.

Basic humanity is something that I believe still exists in Waterford and I'm confident that it will win out over fears and prejudices that exist among a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

lertsnim wrote: »
    There is no way will Clonea see even half of the usual numbers this summer.

GRAND! Let the bigots holiday somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tessabee

Totally agree with the post above , and i am also very confident that basic humanity will win out., its such a pity that these refugees could not have been settled in before christmas after all they have been through its a shame there are delays. The people of clonea will just get used to the idea, they will have to i suppose that is where the department of justice chose to put the reception centre, so people will get used to it and after all they are families fleeing from destruction and just want to live peacefully , and it is only for two years.

The people.ofclonea will, but not the Tourists. If anyone thinks that clonea will have half the tourist market after this please make yourself and your points known

comeraghs wrote: »
    GRAND! Let the bigots holiday somewhere else.

They surely will. There is reasons why people don't like to holiday in Muslim countries and the same closed mindset among so.many people will ruin the tourist industry.

Being honest I wouldn't like to holiday in an area with the majority of the residents being poor refugees. Similarly to if a holiday park was beside a slum. It's not racism. It's common sense in a way. If these Syrians were going to be given the exact same conditions, money and education as Irish people then I would have no problem. Obivously this not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kettlehead

Your tourist industry will be decimated by this. What brainiac decided to put migrants into a rural Irish tourist area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 tessabee

I do not think tourism will be affected, its not as if there are going to be hundreds of refugees here at anytime one hundred at the most. Tramore has had refugees with the longest time with no effects {that i know of) to tourism. Its not as if clonea is in the wilderness its only a few kms from town, there is a small shop there called gordons that sell groceries, toiletries toys etc , there are bikes being collected and would be a nice cycle in the trackway if anyone needed to go to town, they will be fed in clonea, have english classes they have a lovely beach, swimming pool, bowling alley and gym i think one couldnt ask for much more.

tessabee wrote: »
    I do not think tourism will be affected, its not as if there are going to be hundreds of refugees here at anytime one hundred at the most. Tramore has had refugees with the longest time with no effects {that i know of) to tourism. Its not as if clonea is in the wilderness its only a few kms from town, there is a small shop there called gordons that sell groceries, toiletries toys etc , there are bikes being collected and would be a nice cycle in the trackway if anyone needed to go to town, they will be fed in clonea, have english classes they have a lovely beach, swimming pool, bowling alley and gym i think one couldnt ask for much more.

Speaking as a tourist to Clonea, I'm telling you tourism will be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

tessabee wrote: »

Like your sentiment but afraid you are WAY off the mark in your thinking. The shop closes in winter. Who wants to cycle into town in this weather with zero money and even less English. English classes? They'll bve here 10 weeks. How much do you think they'll learn, especially if the VEC/ETB are teaching them.
    Let's put it this way. If you went to a pleace abroad with no money, none of the local language and had been through trauma unknown - how would YOU feel at being placed somewhere like Clonea?
    Additionally, if there are 100 people at a time using these amenities, what will the tourists be doing? Also, since when are those amenities free?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

Hi, I'm not from the South East so forgive me for jumping into the discussion.
    I was reading through the thread - which is very respectful and restrained - and I note that the majority of those posting seem to be worried about issues such as integration and the fact that locals were not consulted.

One or two posters raised some negatives such as the terrorist threat and threats to the tourism industry and one poster mentioned the rape statistics in Sweden...

My question is, why are those who live near the proposed centre not concerned about the ideology of Islam in relation to women as possessions, active homophobia, religious intolerance and the practice of Sharia law in all its guises?

It is without doubt that a certain percentage of refugees from muslim countries will hold these views - why are you not worried about this?

Please, it's is a genuine question - maybe people don't worry as much as I do!

I agree with the above.

Kaylee wrote: »
    I was reading through the thread - which is very respectful and restrained - and I note that the majority of those posting seem to be worried about issues such as integration and the fact that locals were not consulted.

One or two posters raised some negatives such as the terrorist threat and threats to the tourism industry and one poster mentioned the rape statistics in Sweden...

My question is, why are those who live near the proposed centre not concerned about the ideology of Islam in relation to women as possessions, active homophobia, religious intolerance and the practice of Sharia law in all its guises?

It is without doubt that a certain percentage of refugees from muslim countries will hold these views - why are you not worried about this?

I would say that most people will have 'some' concern. However, you tar a majority with a minority brush.

Remember, these people are fleeing Sharia law not hoping to bring it with them. They are victims of it and a lot of what you have pointed out above.

At least in Clonea, there will be families brought in. As with parents here, I would guess most just want safety, freedom, and peace for their children. That with food, shelter, and education.

Not a lot to fear there I would say.

We have also been told that all these are to be vetted before coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Do you really think that in this country where, despite the majority being more or less Catholic, in the past few decades has seen the church's power wane to the point where a one minute broadcast of the Angelus is considered too much religion, it would be even remotely possible to introduce Sharia law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

I hear ye..you're worried about a tiny amount of people enforcing sharia law.

Well here's something to ponder maybe they are worried their kids are going to be abused by christians if they accept asylum or get caught up with local terrorists planning on bombing the UK...tough one that...war at home or something horrible for their kids here.....

I love generalisations :P

• Advertisement

Problem is with the total outlook, the Islamification OF europe. Look at the outlooks. Keep the syrians as the poor underclass and they will reproduce like flies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement