Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No man on the Moon..

Options
  • 20-11-2015 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

When I was a child back in the early 70's, me and my friends would see who could spot the most satellites within a given time. The space age had well and truly been won by the Americans, by landing on the Moon.
    Years on and I am still very disappointed that we never got a human base on the Moon. Back then as kids, we were sure there would have been by now....

Would much rather a base on the Moon then Mars.
    Any thoughts?

Where would you like humans to buiild our first base? f? 31 votes

Moon.
    0% 0 votes
    Mars.
    67% 21 votes
    Somewhere else.
    32% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Moon.
    Quicker and easier with results and safer too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

Plus it would be nice to train my telescope on the Moon, knowing that some one is possibly looking back...:-)
    Take the loneliness out of the Universe...LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Mars should be the main goal, but once you have a rocket for a Mars mission the Moon becomes very easy because its so close

if you go for Mars you get two for the price of one

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Moon first and then Mars. Mars should be the goal - but the Moon can be reached in just a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Go to the Moon, take photographs and live stream video of the bits left behind from the other landings and prove to everyone, once and for all, that the original Moon landings really did happen.
    After that, next stop Mars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Go to the Moon, take photographs and live stream video of the bits left behind from the other landings and prove to everyone, once and for all, that the original Moon landings really did happen.
    After that, next stop Mars.

But, but, they clearly planted those objects there/the video was altered/etc.

You can't reach those Jim Corr types. You just can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Oh, and I voted Mars. We simply have to test for life there, and the only sure fire way to find out is to set up a sterilised Lab out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Baggirshorts

Mars will most likely get colonized at some stage in the future but for now, the Moon should have had a base years ago. The money spent on all the different scopes floating around in the upper atmosphere.
    An array is/has been well with in our means for years.....Hydroponics is well advanced....it is just stupid politicians have held this "one small step, one giant leap for mankind" from becoming a reality...
    46 years on and still waiting!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Moon base first. In the long term it would be much easier to launch a Mars mission from the Moon, you can send more mass for far less energy that way or far more mass for the same energy that it takes to reach escape velocity from Earth.

Moon base first. In the long term it would be much easier to launch a Mars mission from the Moon, you can send more mass for far less energy that way or far more mass for the same energy that it takes to reach escape velocity from Earth.

people always say this and TBF its more or less true, but I really doubt any mission to Mars with work like that, its far easier to refuel and leave from LEO, which is how its going to happen

• Advertisement

Mars will most likely get colonized at some stage in the future but for now, the Moon should have had a base years ago. The money spent on all the different scopes floating around in the upper atmosphere.
    An array is/has been well with in our means for years.....Hydroponics is well advanced....it is just stupid politicians have held this "one small step, one giant leap for mankind" from becoming a reality...
    46 years on and still waiting!!!
    +1
    Id go one further and say we'd have a whole lot of space exploration done if we redirected military money to bleedin warp drive money!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The military were gung ho about putting a base on the moon, ultimate high ground and all that. Then someone pointed out that if you fired missile from there it would take days for them to travel back to earth.

The military were gung ho about putting a base on the moon, ultimate high ground and all that. Then someone pointed out that if you fired missile from there it would take days for them to travel back to earth.

Someone should have kept his mouth shut :mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

nobody landed on the moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I voted Mars, because the Moon just isn't as interesting. I get the arguments for the Moon first alright, and of course there's science to be done anywhere in space... and it would be really exciting to know there's someone up there. But it's all flipping grey and dusty !

I voted Mars, because the Moon just isn't as interesting. I get the arguments for the Moon first alright, and of course there's science to be done anywhere in space... and it would be really exciting to know there's someone up there. But it's all flipping grey and dusty !
    Ah feck! Now i dunno where we're going to build this base!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

shedweller wrote: »
    Ah feck! Now i dunno where we're going to build this base!

NASA Announces New Public-Private Partnerships to Advance 'Tipping Point,' Emerging Space Capabilities
    NASA has secured partnerships with 22 U.S. companies through two solicitations to advance the agency's goals for robotic and human exploration of the solar system by shepherding the development of critical space technologies

Little round up of all the times we've planned to go to Mars....and got nowhere.

Advertisement