Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BelgiaN fermentation

Options
  • 20-11-2015 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

still new to this. My Belgian strong ale is fermenting goodoh for Two weeks now and still at it. sG is down to about 1007 (in the bottling range). But it's still quite cloudy. I guess I should hold off till it's stopped fermenting altogether ? What about the cloudyness ? I'm reluctant to bottle when cloudy. Any comments ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

still new to this. My Belgian strong ale is fermenting goodoh for Two weeks now and still at it. sG is down to about 1007 (in the bottling range). But it's still quite cloudy. I guess I should hold off till it's stopped fermenting altogether ? What about the cloudyness ? I'm reluctant to bottle when cloudy. Any comments ?

What was the starting gravity?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

Round about 1050 ish, looking for about 7%

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yes, you absolutely have to wait until it's stopped fermenting as you risk exploding bottles if you don't. Keeping it cool will help it clear but I wouldn't worry about getting it totally clear since it'll continue to drop in the bottle as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

Thx beernut. I'll turn down the heat , let it down to 17/18, and re-check for bottling next mid-week. Have had it at 20 C for 14 days now. Must be nearly ready especially now that the Gravitw is sub 1010

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Must be nearly ready especially now that the Gravitw is sub 1010
    Beginning to be ready perhaps, but don't rush it: it'll keep getting better over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Don't be in any rush at all to bottle it.

When I do the stronger beers I usually leave them at least 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Thx beernut. I'll turn down the heat , let it down to 17/18, and re-check for bottling next mid-week. Have had it at 20 C for 14 days now. Must be nearly ready especially now that the Gravitw is sub 1010

If you cool the beer down, most of the sediment should drop.

Advertisement