Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How often to feed skinny stray?

• 20-11-2015 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

I've taken in a female tabby cat that had been hanging around my workplace for about a week. She's adorable, so friendly and housetrained. She's quiet and reserved but does come to sit on our laps for cuddles when she wants to.

Now she's quite thin and feels boney, I've no idea how old she is and she won't allow me to look at her teeth. I took her the vet to see if she's chipped and she's not. I posted on lots of cat related FB pages as well as businesses in the area. I've printed posters and put them in shops just incase the owner was elderly and doesn't use the Internet.

On advice of the vet, should she not be claimed I intend on getting her vaccinated and checked out fully. Until then I'm unsure on how much to feed her, she seems to be constantly looking for food, should I feed when she looks for it? If so how much? A pouch? Half a tin? I have no problem doing that if she needs it but don't want to damage her health by overfeeding. I'm currently feeding her a half tin in am and half in pm. She still looks for more. Any advice for a first time cat foster/ owner welcome! I've grown up with dogs so this is all new to me.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The below picture should give you an idea:

chart.jpg

As for feeding; twice a day is perfectly fine for an adult but if she's constantly hungry (some cats are ALWAYS going to claim to be hungry) you can always increase the amount you feed a bit but don't go overboard; there should be a feeding guide on the tin so go for about 10 to 20% above it as a starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Nody wrote: »
    The below picture should give you an idea:

chart.jpg

As for feeding; twice a day is perfectly fine for an adult but if she's constantly hungry (some cats are ALWAYS going to claim to be hungry) you can always increase the amount you feed a bit but don't go overboard; there should be a feeding guide on the tin so go for about 10 to 20% above it as a starting point.

Thanks for that. She's quite furry but I reckon she's very thin. Any advice about her form? She only engages in play very rarely, as in playing/ chasing string or ribbon, she stops playing pretty soon and is preoccupied by food.

She has her bed in the kitchen and sleeps there a lot of the time then comes to the sitting room for cuddles and potters off when she's done. Is this normal? I've no experience with Cats, I know she's only getting used to our environment but I'd like her to feel as comfortable and happy as she can rather than quiet and alone in the kitchen for most of the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

happypants wrote: »
    She has her bed in the kitchen and sleeps there a lot of the time then comes to the sitting room for cuddles and potters off when she's done. Is this normal? I've no experience with Cats, I know she's only getting used to our environment but I'd like her to feel as comfortable and happy as she can rather than quiet and alone in the kitchen for most of the day.
    That is very normal; something else you can do is to give her spaces up from the floor which she can sit and look out through windows or observe the apartment in general; this helps a cat feel they "own" the territory by being "untouchable" because they are so high up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Of course she's hungry, she's been half-starved and she's not normal about food yet.

Did the vet give her a de-wormer, just in case? Heaven knows what she's been eating while she's been living wild.

Edit: try to get her gradually into a routine of eating twice a day, at morning and evening. It'll take a little while, because at the moment she's emergency-eating, but it should work.

I hope you and your lovely new pet are very happy.

Of course she's hungry, she's been half-starved and she's not normal about food yet.

Did the vet give her a de-wormer, just in case? Heaven knows what she's been eating while she's been living wild.

Edit: try to get her gradually into a routine of eating twice a day, at morning and evening. It'll take a little while, because at the moment she's emergency-eating, but it should work.

I hope you and your lovely new pet are very happy.

I've been feeding her twice a day hoping to get a routine and show her that food will come twice a day so not to fret. So should I ignore when she's looking in between those times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

When my niece's cat lived here he got wet cat food morning and afternoon and a small amount of raw meat in evening. He also had a small bowl of dry cat food to graze on during the day. If the cat seems to be hungry all the time, I'd be inclined to feed the same amount per day but divide it into three or four smaller meals.

I've been feeding her twice a day hoping to get a routine and show her that food will come twice a day so not to fret. So should I ignore when she's looking in between those times?

Talk to the vet. We're not qualified to answer this, and the vet's met the cat.

The Indo has a piece about how people who lose their homes are abandoning their pets http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/families-forced-to-give-up-pets-as-housing-crisis-bites-34222908.html - maybe this is why your pusscat is so sweet and loving, and panicked.

Talk to the vet. We're not qualified to answer this, and the vet's met the cat.

Of course. I was just seeking some guidance until tomorrow when the vets will be opened. Plus there is always a chance that perhaps a poster is a vet, or even has similar experience taking a stray cat in. i have given her a worm tablet (last Thursday) as well as used flea treatment and have a flea collar for her.
    The Indo has a piece about how people who lose their homes are abandoning their pets http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/families-forced-to-give-up-pets-as-housing-crisis-bites-34222908.html - maybe this is why your pusscat is so sweet and loving, and panicked.

That story broke my heart, how awful. The owner should have brought the cat to a cattery rather than just dumping it in an estate though.

Of course. I was just seeking some guidance until tomorrow when the vets will be opened. Plus there is always a chance that perhaps a poster is a vet, or even has similar experience taking a stray cat in. i have given her a worm tablet (last Thursday) as well as used flea treatment and have a flea collar for her.

True!

If it's just one day I'd feed her till she explodes. (Edit: well, maybe not *so* much, if she's been starving her body won't cope well with too much food. She may be looking for attention as much as food.)

Yeah, the newly-homeless people should have brought their cat to a shelter, but they were probably in a panic. Poor puss. Poor people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

We took in a stray last year who was awful skinny. We currently feed her 40g dry food twice a day. She doesn't really like wet food. She isn't a huge foodie tho, so she isn't looking in between. But she is getting a bit chubbier recently so I think we will cut back soon.

We also share a tabby that a neighbour abandoned. We share her with other kind neighbours. She LOVES food. We give her 40g dry food a day. They give her wet food, not sure how much. We all give her treats. She IS a bit chubby. Not obese but not skinny! When we see her getting fatter we all cut down on treats! When we have her to ourselves we give her half a pouch of wet food and 40g dry food daily.

Hope the amounts posted help.

What a day, I had planned to take Joan (the name we've given to our new furry friend) to the vet today to have her vaccinated and checked out. Whilst getting organised to head off my toddler found a 50c coin hidden in the sitting room rug which she quickly shoved in her mouth and began to choke. After much panic she swallowed it. I then had to take her to temple st where she was xrayed and checked out. Thankfully she is ok and should pass the coin over the coming days.

My predicament now is the money intended to vaccinate Joan and have her checked out has gone on a costly trip to A&e and xray (money well spent though) are there any organisations who could help me, I'm not in receipt of social welfare as myself and my partner work but with mortgage, bills and Christmas I can't afford to pay €150+ to a vet this month. Any advice welcome. I understand how important the vaccinations and vet trip is. She seems a bit more lively the past two days and is venturing from the kitchen more, I've bought dry food as opposed to wet and she is spacing it out during the day rather than eating it in one go. She is still under my feet in the kitchen but as suggested I think that is more for some attention and possibly hoping to get scraps while I'm preparing dinner.

Maybe give a ring to the Blue Cross:

http://www.bluecross.ie/mobileclinic.html

Ridiculous that you should have to pay richly for an emergency trip to A&E for a small child. How Ireland has changed since I had a toddler.

If you want to go to the same vet, you might see if you could stagger the payments. The vet may be happy to keep you as a customer; though if you're a new customer this might be a big ask.

If you're bringing the kitty to the Blue Cross, make sure to have her well contained, as if she runs in a panic you're unlikely to find her again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Pet care can be costly. If you are struggling now to cover it for basic check up and vaccinations then think very hard about taking the cat on yourself. It might be better for you and her to get rehomed if you are under financial pressure?

Since we took in 2 strays it has cost a few hundred a year in terms of vet bills, medicines, vaccinations, and then ongoing costs on good quality food, a certain amount of equipment (beds, litter trays), litter, toys, treats etc.... Obviously some costs are initial one off's like microchips, neutering, and we got a cat flap which was the guts of 500 to buy and install. Just recently one of ours got sick and there were overnight vet fees costing over 100 euro. Cattery costs when you go on holiday too.

Its very kind of you to want to help a stray but you cant be put into a position where you yourself are struggling financially either. It might be better to rehome to cat now before you are all very attached than for you and your family to struggle and not be able to look after her vet needs.

Advertisement