Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do garden sheds qualify as domestic?

Options
  • 20-11-2015 11:41pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Can I wire one myself?

I'm more than qualified but I just do industrial LV work, up to 2000A, so it would pain me to have to pay a greenhorn to do some apprentice work in my house just cos I haven't done some government moneygrab scheme..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Steve wrote: »
    Can I wire one myself?

I'm more than qualified but I just do industrial LV work, up to 2000A, so it would pain me to have to pay a greenhorn to do some apprentice work in my house just cos I haven't done some government moneygrab scheme..

It's domestic alright. But not a hope I'd hire someone to wire in my own house. The moneygrab scheme is simply tax revenue. Domestic is targeted because its unlikely anyone will be doing "nixers" in a commercial job.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Can I wire one myself?

It's nothing to do with how qualified you are.
    I feel your pain.

All I can say is that I the risk of reporting yourself is relatively low......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

And who is going to say when the shed was wired?
    (Obviously it could be an issue if the house is too new)

I agree with you and Bruthal, I'd be reluctant to let anyone else work on my house too. Several years ago my mother in law needed her house completely rewired, I didn't do it as the disruption would have been too long (if I only worked in the evenings etc). I wasn't really happy about the work, but my mother in law wasn't the type to complain so he got away with it.
    I thought I was bad at plastering until I saw his work. Electrically it probably met the regs at the time, but he talked her out of a few sockets etc. that I knew would be needed later.
    If I had the chance to back in time, I'd have taken a week off work and done it myself. (Pre changes in law)

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Are you a registered electrician? No...then you cannot undertake domestic wiring or electrics.
    A competent person can replace like for like but adding or modifications to circuits requires a REGISTERED electrician.

Are you a registered electrician? No...then you cannot undertake domestic wiring or electrics.

Straight to heaven for the non sinners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

A competent person can replace like for like but adding or modifications to circuits requires a REGISTERED electrician.

To be pedantic...it's not true that he cannot, legally he SHOULD NOT.

Also it is legal for a non REC to add a socket to a radial circuit, so your statement about adding to a circuit is misleading.

Best of luck with convincing your insurance company if anything goes wrong.

Best of luck with convincing your insurance company if anything goes wrong.

Be careful if you go outdoors today. Its more dangerous than you think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Are you a registered electrician?
    No, however its my job to tell 'registered electricians' how to do their job..

If you ever need help calculating the kVAr needed for PFC in a large factory with heavy motive power and need to know if 240sq will do as a feed, give me a shout... If i need a light switch changed in my house then I'll call someone 'registered' cos they are better than me lol...

:rolleyes:

No, however its my job to tell 'registered electricians' how to do their job..

If you ever need help calculating the kVAr needed for PFC in a large factory with heavy motive power and need to know if 240sq will do as a feed, give me a shout... If i need a light switch changed in my house then I'll call someone 'registered' cos they are better than me lol...

:rolleyes:

Really.... do you write the Regs?

If you're so good...why did you ask this;
    Garden shed: Can I wire one myself?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Really.... do you write the Regs?

If you're so good...why did you ask this;
    Garden shed: Can I wire one myself?

No. I didn't write any regs. nor do I know or wish to engage in any domestic practice. That is why I asked.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think experienced qualified electricians understand how to wire a garden shed and how to test the installation to ensure that it complies with the regulations.

I think that the OPs question has been answered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement