Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 6 | Episode 7 | Heads Up [AMC] [SPOILERS]

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

smash wrote: »
    The bite causes an infection and the infection kills you. Apparently it's a very slow moving infection as you can amputate a limb and not turn... The infection is transmitted through saliva during the bite. So why is it not transmitted through blood?

No matter how you look at it the scientific reasoning behind the infection is flawed. So I wouldn't spend too much stress bothering about it. You have to remember Kirkman is a comic writer with no scientific background. I guess if before he wrote the comics he had done some research it may have helped but I imagine he never imagined the success his comics would have had opening them to such scrutiny.

What I would like to see though is opening the possibility of some characters discovering they are immune from the virus. I think that is possibly the only way they can find the biological reasoning behind such if that is the route Kirkman chooses to go to conclude the series eventually. I'd be very disappointed if they just ended it with Ricks death. He is still issuing comics so there is a fair few seasons left in its longevity at least.

Another cool ending would be Rick getting killed.....waking up in the hospital bed in episode 1.....realising it was all a dream.....turning on the TV and seeing reports of a virus breaking out :D

I'm just kidding! But it would be funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The bite causes an infection and the infection kills you. Apparently it's a very slow moving infection as you can amputate a limb and not turn... The infection is transmitted through saliva during the bite. So why is it not transmitted through blood?

The % chance of you getting HIV from a needle jab is 0.3%.

The % chance of getting HIV from exposure of the eye, nose or mouth is 0.1%.

The % chance of getting HIV from a bite is undocumented.

The % chance of dying from a zombie bite (in TWD universe) seems to be high. So far, I only know of Hersel surviving, the fate of unknown man that got his arm hacked of by the new group is unknown. There are no known cases of blood splashes causing said infection.

We don't know what causes the death. We just know that bites DO cause it.

*Disclaimer, I am not saying HIV is a zombie virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What I would like to see though is opening the possibility of some characters discovering they are immune from the virus.

Like the wolf with the infection in the cage that the doctor is going to treat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

listermint wrote: »
    A show about human reanimation after death , bodies walking around literally with no organs or half limps able to eat and tear peoples flesh lost 'all credibility' because Glenn survived.....

Well, in fairness Lister, the living dead are the central conceit of the show. If you can't buy into that, there's no point in watching.

However, the fact that the dead are returning to life and eating the living doesn't give logic fails that happen in the show a pass.

The whole Glenn thing was simply terrible writing from beginning to end. It was awful, but more importantly, quite unnecessary.

I like Glenn, he's one of the show's best characters. But that whole survival gimmick was a complete jip to the audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tony EH wrote: »
    Well, in fairness Lister, the living dead are the central conceit of the show. If you can't buy into that, there's no point in watching.

However, the fact that the dead are returning to life and eating the living doesn't give logic fails that happen in the show a pass.

The whole Glenn thing was simply terrible writing from beginning to end. It was awful, but more importantly, quite unnecessary.

I like Glenn, he's one of the show's best characters. But that whole survival gimmick was a complete jip to the audience.

Not for me, zombies eat the guy that was bleeding on top of him, he pulls himself under a bin, which had the rear closed off by some walled low barrier he stabs a few in the head that find that he is there. Then he stays quite whilst the others eat the body.

If you can stretch to reanimation you can stretch to that fairly simple scenario.

I mean what are you expecting the living dead to suddenly up their stupidty game and lift the bin off him ?

Perhaps there needs to be a substantial amount of liquid transfered to the victim.

A bite will do that, whereas a couple of drops of blood wouldn't.

Or, maybe it's just undead saliva that transmits the infection and not blood.

Two different liquids.

Perhaps there needs to be a substantial amount of liquid transfered to the victim.

A bite will do that, whereas a couple of drops of blood wouldn't.

Or, maybe it's just undead saliva that transmits the infection and not blood.

Two different liquids.
    But everyone's infected anyway. Maybe the saliva is an accelerator of some sort. That would however mean that amputating a limb would not work. Which leads to only one theory that there's some kind of surface flesh eating virus that attacks the nervous system but takes time to migrate it's way in to the blood stream.

Not for me, zombies eat the guy that was bleeding on top of him, he pulls himself under a bin, which had the rear closed off by some walled low barrier he stabs a few in the head that find that he is there. Then he stays quite whilst the others eat the body.

If you can stretch to reanimation you can stretch to that fairly simple scenario.

I mean what are you expecting the living dead to suddenly up their stupidty game and lift the bin off him ?

No, I would expect them to wait around and not wander off after a few hours. They didn't even scoff the whole lot of the red haired lad.

Also, they know he's there. The see him fall. They see him move under the bin. I just felt it was bad writing, which the series suffers from, from time to time.

I know the living dead aren't Mensa material. I should do, I've been watching stuff with them in it since I was kid. But, it's difficult to accept sloppy writing that discards its own rules.

You don't see other hordes get bored and give up after a few hours elsewhere in the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No, I would expect them to wait around and not wander off after a few hours. They didn't even scoff the whole lot of the red haired lad.

Also, they know he's there. The see him fall. They see him move under the bin. I just felt it was bad writing, which the series suffers from, from time to time.

I know the living dead aren't Mensa material. I should do, I've been watching stuff with them in it since I was kid. But, it's difficult to accept sloppy writing that discards its own rules.

You don't see other hordes get bored and give up after a few hours elsewhere in the show.

There was noises in the street stuff falling down a can rolling, they walked off to other noises glen was hidden by walker bodies.

I accept that is fairly explainable.

But everyone's infected anyway. Maybe the saliva is an accelerator of some sort. That would however mean that amputating a limb would not work. Which leads to only one theory that there's some kind of surface flesh eating virus that attacks the nervous system but takes time to migrate it's way in to the blood stream.

Yes, everyone's infected, but perhaps it's as you say and the bites speed up the process or sets off other unknown events.

Anyway, you'll need to discuss it with George Romero. Their essentially his idea. Kirkman just uses it.

Frankly, I think it's best to leave it as an unexplained angle. A little mystery does zombie no harm. :D

• Advertisement

I'm not sure they're that aware of situations. A noise, a light... anything can distract them. They're dead, the brain isn't functioning to a capacity where it's processing thoughts. It's pure basic animal instinct.

There was noises in the street stuff falling down a can rolling, they walked off to other noises glen was hidden by walker bodies.

I accept that is fairly explainable.

As a fan of zombies in general, I am more forgiving than most, trust me. But I still feel that that entire sideshow was completely flawed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

This show has run out of steam. Did a major script writer leave or something? I'll see it out to mid season finale and then I'm done. And to think there is going to be a season 7. Such a pity. All the great shows know when to call it a day, I guess it'll go down as not such a great show after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

wrt40 wrote: »
    This show has run out of steam. Did a major script writer leave or something? I'll see it out to mid season finale and then I'm done. And to think there is going to be a season 7. Such a pity. All the great shows know when to call it a day, I guess it'll go down as not such a great show after all.

Dont lie to yourself. You will be watching series 7 this time next year

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

It's based on a damn cartoon comic. Chill out! It isn't trying to be some super realistic depiction of human society. I thought the presence of flesh eating zombies gave that away !
    A show about human reanimation after death , bodies walking around literally with no organs or half limps able to eat and tear peoples flesh lost 'all credibility' because Glenn survived....

I hate the “but it’s not real” line of reasoning from apologists whenever criticisms are levelled at TWD or other show of its ilk. Just because a show has a fantastical setting doesn't mean it shouldn't have to adhere to the supposed consistency of whatever internal universe it's set up.
    Would you be alright with a plotline that had them coming across a cache of mech suits and going on a Michael Bay style rampage to close the series, or decided to time travel back before the virus spread? Because the show features the living dead, all bets are off? Cop outs and inconsistencies are fine for an outwardly tongue-in-cheek show like Z Nation; TWD is deliberately po-faced and have a lot of boundaries that shouldn't be crossed if they want to maintain that. No zombie tornadoes or walkers stoned on weed for example!
    While they haven't gone to that extreme, this show seems to play fast and loose with the rules [that they themselves set up] whenever they need some lazy way to advance the plot. Someone out in the wide open flatlands can get eviscerated by a stealth walker while someone else can survive getting swarmed by a horde in an enclosed space? Please.

They seriously dropped the ball regarding Glenn. I, in my utter naivety, bought into his "death" when I first saw Thank You and thought it was a fantastic way to write him out. Finally his humanity cost him his life in the most brutal fashion.
    But then I made the mistake of watching the generally atrocious Talking Dead and got that sinking feeling as soon as he wasn't on the sofa. Is he/isn't he speculation is all well and good, but the producers drawing unnecessary attention to his "death" by removing his name from the credits and making numerous "cryptic" references to it in interviews/statements etc. all but confirmed that he was alive very early on. But at that point it seemed like no matter what the resolution would be, I was going to hate it.

Either he was dead all along - which, if the show was consistent, was the most plausible scenario given the circumstances - so why drag it out over weeks and cheapen his death by having it debated rather than just giving him the proper send off a long-standing main character deserves?
    Or he's alive, which would just be imbecilic, right?

For me, "Sliding under the dumpster" is the new "Nuking the fridge". Utterly farcical. Yeah Nicholas fell on him, but only across his chest. His face, lower torso and legs were completely exposed. How many stationary walkers have had no issue in chowing down on an achilles tendon throughout this series? Yet they all focus solely on Nicholas' guts, despite the fact that they're [allegedly] attracted to sound/movement and Glenn is screaming and squirming away.

Credibility for me has been waning ever since they had a major, pretty much unforgivable cop out last season. Glenn's in the woods and gets shot in the shoulder by Nicholas, and soon after has seven shades beat out of him. While Nicholas is focusing on further damaging his shoulder, not one but two walkers are shambling over and he scarpers - both of them pile onto Glenn, with a third one shuffling into shot. Glenn, who probably weighs 120lb soaking wet, has a severely injured shoulder and shouldn't be able to put any pressure on it, was just on the receiving end of a sound beating and would undoubtedly be somewhat dazed; he's toast. Yet the scene ends abruptly, and the next time we see him, he's returning the beating to Nicholas!

Some might say it was more ridiculous to show him killing a walker while tied to a chair back in S3, but at least they showed that. It was well shot and pretty intense to watch. A bit ott but enjoyable nonetheless. Miraculous escapes are entertaining. The first time. When a character dodges death in increasingly incredulous fashion it just starts to wear thin.

I loved the first four episodes of this season but leaving the Glenn "cliffhanger" for so long has somewhat killed the momentum built up by them. I really hope they don't go the route of bringing him back only to kill him off in the midseason finale in some cliché heroic sacrifice or something (not to mention Maggie assuming he's dead only to see the balloons, realise he's alive and then finding out he died "again" would be a complete retread of Beth). I'm all for signposting a character death only to have them survive and die soon thereafter (Person of Interest did it really well in my opinion) but bluff on top of bluff just gets tiresome.

Sorry I know comic book discussion should be kept to the other thread but briefly:
    A lot of the people praising Glenn's resurrection have been saying that his encounter with Lucille is too "big" to not be on the TV show, but in my opinion that role would be much better filled by Daryl who is by far more of a fan favourite. They've had no problem swapping out situations before (Tyrese/Hershel for example) so I can't see why they couldn't have done that here.

I'll keep watching of course, I'm by no means "done" with the show like so many claim to be (only to watch the week after!), but I'm just getting a bit fed up of cheap tricks that treat the audience like morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

As a fan of zombies in general, I am more forgiving than most, trust me. But I still feel that that entire sideshow was completely flawed.

I don't know, I think previously we've seen them hear noise and wander off after it... So actually found that part believable.. Also the ones he killed would have blocked any others from reaching in under skip I think...and he was obv staying quiet and couldn't be seen...

Think was it Tobins comment to rick was interesting, how they'd had nothing changing in alexandria once it all started... Really showed what a poor leader Deanna was, fine for Status quo but only planning for future where things remained as they were but bigger, and no planning for disasters, attacks, self defense etc.

there is a big difference between "time travelling" and pulling yourself under a bin. my point was that a certain degree of artistic licensing and non realistic aspects should be excused.

the show is contracted to stay loyal to the comics in most aspects. that is why elements of surrealism, are excused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Pretty good episode, the first 2 or 3 of this series still haven't been matched by any of the subsequent ones.
    Bit disappointed Glen is alive as I feared that was what would happen. Makes no sense that thousands of walkers would be surrounding him on the ground and they ignore him and eat the dead man on top of him.

Also didn't make any sense that they didn't run up the stairs when they were being chased by the walkers originally but opted for jumping over a fence over higher ground.

I think if they end up being over run and back on the road it's just going to be the jail all over again.

If the series goes on past 10 series as the writers have said they could do I imagine;
    On the road - Find sanctuary - All is safe - People trying to get in destroy sanctuary-Back on the road, will become a recurring theme.

Hoping for a top episode next week and I fully expect it to be

• Advertisement

sabhail wrote: »
    I don't know, I think previously we've seen them hear noise and wander off after it... So actually found that part believable.. Also the ones he killed would have blocked any others from reaching in under skip I think...and he was obv staying quiet and couldn't be seen...

They're supposed to be relentless and you're supposed to be their food.

It's that that makes the zombie (or at least the Romero zombie) so terrifying. The death they promise, coupled with the fact that they will not stop or get bored are a couple of their main traits.

You see, I see this "miracle of Glenn" as someone else put it, a bit like the zombies guts camo nonsense. It's just very bad writing that doesn't take stock of the future.

Glenn now knows that in future all he needs to escape an overwhelming zombie horde is something that can make even just a little bit of noise. They should all start carrying empty bean tins around. The zombies will forget about their nosh and bugger off and do something else, while you can have a nap.

It's bad writing. Too much of a cheap "watercooler" moment, there to get people talking. Unfortunately, it's got a lot of people questioning the show, rather than applauding the "twist".

The writers simply "Flash Gordon'd" Glenn's death.

Pretty good episode, the first 2 or 3 of this series still haven't been matched by any of the subsequent ones.

Agreed. But, if watched back to back, in a marathon, thos episodes won't seem as disappointing. 'The Walking Dead' works best when you sit down and watch a burst of them in a row.
    If the series goes on past 10 series as the writers have said they could do I imagine;
    On the road - Find sanctuary - All is safe - People trying to get in destroy sanctuary-Back on the road, will become a recurring theme.

I hope the show does go to 10 and beyond. There's plenty of scenarios to write. There are TV shows from yesteryear that survived multiple years that had new stories each week. So, far TWD writers have had to manage just 6.

I personally think that they are rushing a bit, so they can forget the comics and go off on their own steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Welp, I'm just glad that Rosita got a scene at last. Her character has been completely un-utilised for quite a while now. Even Eugene got a line this episode!

ricero wrote: »
    Dont lie to yourself. You will be watching series 7 this time next year

Nah seriously. Whatever about bad story lines or ridiculous stuff like Glenn surviving, its just extremely boring to the point where I don't even care anymore. I know its the calm before the storm and we've already seen there is another bad gang out there waiting to kick things off. I just really don't care.

I'll keep tabs on it. If it turns out the 2nd half and season 7 are absolute crackers then i'll do a box set session on it.

Nah seriously. Whatever about bad story lines or ridiculous stuff like Glenn surviving, its just extremely boring to the point where I don't even care anymore. I know its the calm before the storm and we've already seen there is another bad gang out there waiting to kick things off. I just really don't care.

I'll keep tabs on it. If it turns out the 2nd half and season 7 are absolute crackers then i'll do a box set session on it.

Why would you watch anything you felt that way about.

Why would you watch anything you felt that way about.
    I used to love the show. Now its coronation street with zombies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

watching glenn under that dumpster would bring out the claustrophobic in you, especially with the walkers on either side, **** that.

coronation street with zombies................??

oh for god sake. stop watching it then. This thread has just turned into moan moan moan by the same people with same laboured points. its ironic that these posters just want to come on and say they are sick of the series and dont want to watch it anymore. Yet the majority will still, i guarantee you, pop in with their views and complaints every week still. It makes no odds with other people if you dont want to watch it anymore. I get that people aren't happy with the programme. But the vast vast majority are.

I'm not defending the Glen plot. I also thought the whole thing and the outcome was predictable and I made this point earlier in the thread.
    "In a way the Glen thing was just a plot device to keep viewers, in particular casual ones invested this season and create some publicity hype. They probably knew that a lot of viewers would find episode 3 to 5 rather stale or non eventful and wanted to counterbalance that with a bit of media hype to keep viewers tuned in in anticipation to the big mid season finale.

As a comic reader I appreciated that certain important issues were addressed in all those episodes so I enjoyed them regardless but I likewise can appreciate why most found them flat, bordering on fillers.

I was also so tired of the Glen thing, it just seemed inevitable that a big character wouldn't be killed off like that. It had the making of a great death scene yes but when they left us in limbo with exactly the end result it was clear to me he wouldn't die.

But in hindsight if the producers were just trying to keep the show hype up it worked. You cant argue there."

But I am over it. I definitely wouldn't judge the series on that one aspect. Plenty of positive points this season and its really building up momentum.

My point again is if you dont want to watch it, dont.

sorry for the w@n#erish post. I appreciate I will get a lambasting for this but Its just that the whole thread is dominated with the same complaints and it would be nice to actually talk about the show itself.

*runs for cover from oncoming replies!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I also felt the Glenn storyline was a bit cheap but I'm not as mad as other people are about it.

The fact that it's a tv show means there will always been inconsistencies and dumb decisions purely for marketing and profits etc. Judging by alot of the reactions ("omg, Glenn is alive. YES!!!") it's not going to change any time soon.

I thought Glenn was dead and they were actually going to be brave by NOT showing his death scene. So the audiences uncertainty would have been the same as the characters on the show, almost. I thought Maggie saying "I don't get to know what happened" was a clue but obviously not.

It's a bit annoying how everything gets resolved but again, it's a tv show and it's to be expected.

How many houses are there supposed to be in Alexandria? has it mentioned what sort of population it has?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I enjoyed it, and I say that as someone who normally does 4 second jumps for the boring talky talky scenes. I liked how it gave us a good view of so many different characters, with so many people to keep track of for the next episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

Can the zombies climb stairs? As in could the Alexandrians hide upstairs (short term solution, but could work for vulnerable people).

Actually why dont they just create a tree house village and live there..:-)

crisco10 wrote: »
    Can the zombies climb stairs? As in could the Alexandrians hide upstairs (short term solution, but could work for vulnerable people).

In the event of a zombie outbreak, the first thing I'd do is knock the stairs in my house and use a ladder to get up and down. Pretty simple but effective way to stay safe.

You can also drop things on the zombies to kill them from a height as the walk around below you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

crisco10 wrote: »

Ha ha. Ive thought similar a few times. In the woods around alexandria, and the old prison they should have a few small treehouses with rope ladders for emergencies. Cant get back to base? Fine. Hide out up a tree for a few hours till the zombie clears off.
    Even simpler would be to put a few heavy bolts or screws into a few trees and a harness on top to give a foot hold high enough that the walkers couldnt get at you.
    Add in a zip line to a few high trees and you have a safe way in and out of camp even with the wall of walkers outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

.red. wrote: »
    Ha ha. Ive thought similar a few times. In the woods around alexandria, and the old prison they should have a few small treehouses with rope ladders for emergencies. Cant get back to base? Fine. Hide out up a tree for a few hours till the zombie clears off.
    Even simpler would be to put a few heavy bolts or screws into a few trees and a harness on top to give a foot hold high enough that the walkers couldnt get at you.
    Add in a zip line to a few high trees and you have a safe way in and out of camp even with the wall of walkers outside.

Tarzan, you're thinking about Tarzan there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

If I (still) lived on the US east coast I would have this page bookmarked for the zombie apocalypse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Ah there's a book i read a few years ago, young adult, zombie apocalypse, towns were fenced in but had corridors through the forest to the neighbouring town. They also had tree houses in case of a breach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Sand wrote: »
    I think the show did lose a lot of credibility the miracle of Glenn. I mean, apparently Alexandria being invaded by a horde of undead is painted as a big threat. Is it really? By the rules of the show the characters can just hide under a bin until the horde get bored and wander off. Couple of hours tops. No problem.

Was it really so unrealistic, though? The walkers on the side of the bin where Glenn fell were busy feeding on whatsisname. The ones at the other three sides might have seen someone fall, but they're probably not bright enough to work out that one of the two people who did fall can no longer be seen and is probably hiding under the bin, so there's no reason for them to even look. they probably couldn't get close enough because their own "buddies" were in the way, and because of the size of the bin they had no line of sight to Glenn on the ground before he hid. Walkers don't search the way living humans do.

Remember how they successfully hid under the cars at the beginning of Season 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

I used to love the show. Now its coronation street with zombies.

I thought Coronation Street already had zombies...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Great episode. Just bingewatched eps 1-7 and I am enjoying this season so far. Hope we get an epic mid season finale.

the walkers that were feasting on suicide dude where covering Glenns legs from other walkers so that was his effort to pull himself under the bin he had a lot of weight on him.

This wasn't a zombie buffet, once you watch back the first scence of this episode you will see it.

• Advertisement

Sry but the reason glenns legs werent eaten by walkers was because they were covered in walkers eating the other dude.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

It was an ok episode for me, felt they should have left Glenn dead. As for the rest of it, felt it was just getting going and was over, I'm so over the moody teenagers. Hopefully will catch up on the next episode tonight.

Advertisement