Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telescope in Aldi Thur 26th €100

Options
  • 21-11-2015 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

May interest some of ye.

W48_PD_Thursday_New_UK14_decc760558.jpg
    Shoot for the stars with this fantastic gift the whole family can enjoy together.

Aluminium tripod with EQ mount
    76mm mirror diameter
    700mm focal length
    28x-233x magnification
    Includes 3 Eyepieces (Barlow Lens 3x, Erecting Lens 1.5x, 5 x 24 Viewfinder), Smartphone Camera Holder, Moon Filter and a free Astronomy Software download

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-26-nov/products-detail-page/ps/p/premium-drill-bit-set/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Anybody know if this is good scope or is it just an aldi 'looks like the good ones' effort

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Anybody know if this is good scope or is it just an aldi 'looks like the good ones' effort
    I'd personally spend the same amount of money on a decent pair of Binoculars.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Good for moon shots through a Smartphone - you can forgot about the barlow and high power eyepieces, they are impractical with a scope like this. Like the above for the same money you can get yourself a good pair of binoculars which would be easier to handle

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Much as I love the magazine (before Murdoch bought it) as a general rule anything National Geographic branded is junk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Thargor wrote: »
    Much as I love the magazine (before Murdoch bought it) as a general rule anything National Geographic branded is junk.

Their Insta and this Dude that shoots for them are very good.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah the photography and everything is the best there is, Im talking about their merchandise, binoculars with plastic lenses etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

This is a "junk scope". Plastic lenses, cheap optics, wobbly mount, I would steer well clear.

As the other poster said either spend the money getting a good paid of binoculers (that also can be used for other things other then astronomy). If you want to get a scope afterwards then you may get a good quality dobsonian for just a few hundred more.

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Agreed on the National Geographic hardware generally being less than useful.

I've previously picked up their little dobsonian that hasn't got a particularly good mirror or good collimation possibilities. It's sufficient for the purpose I have for it (video astronomy) but it's not good for widefield views, nor does it give decent views at moderate or higher magnification.

I would not hold out much hope that this particular scope is much good. It's a pity that the Bresser /Meade scopes are not carried any more for the instore specials.

There was a Bresser in Lidl this year I think so maybe not all done yet, 70 mm refractor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

+1

Seen some of the stuff in charity shops, really nasty.

And it's not something new, long ago I got their CD set with all the back issues. Woeful. Just abysmal. The scanning was done at too low a resolution to be easily read so needless to say the photos weren't much use.

The Bresser stuff probably be better even though it's being cheap and cheerful - perhaps Aldi might something without zoom before Christmas ?
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=33635
    Bresser® Binoculars
    €21.99
    per pair

Perfect, ultra-sharp long distance viewing with powerful 60mm lens – e.g. for nature, sports and concerts
    Excellent colour accuracy due to high-quality optics with BK-7 prism
    Field of view: 52m (at 1000m distance)
    5 year guarantee
    Magnification: 10-30x
    Includes case and accessories

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=33637
    Bresser® Spotting Scope
    €24.99
    per set

Handy spotting scope for nature and bird observation
    Fully coated BK-7 optical glass material
    Table stand with handle and non-slip feet
    Field of view: 29m wide at 1000m distance (with 20x magnification)
    35 x 15 x 9.5cm (without stand)
    5 year guarantee
    Magnification: continuous from 20-60x
    Includes protective cap, carry case and cleaning cloth

• Advertisement

+1

Seen some of the stuff in charity shops, really nasty.

And it's not something new, long ago I got their CD set with all the back issues. Woeful. Just abysmal. The scanning was done at too low a resolution to be easily read so needless to say the photos weren't much use.
    Ha, I remember that, I spent 12 quid on some stupid Photoshop magazine with that stuck to the front back in a time when we were only allowed use the dialup for an hour before bed, thought Id hit the motherlode of reading material, no precious internet required. Totally unreadable though, I was gutted, I did get a full copy of Compton's Interactive Encyclopedia though so not a total loss.

Round about now is when they always had telescopes in Aldi and Lidl and no sign of them between now and Christmas so its probably not going to happen. Vouchers for Aldi are back in the Sunday papers aswell so it would have been handy.

Secondhand is the way to go with scopes anyway, they're usually immaculate.

That 70mm Bresser refractor is back in Lidl on Thursday:

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=33636

€80 not great though, might prefer a pair of Celestron Skymaster binoculars for that price...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

That 70mm Bresser refractor is back in Lidl on Thursday:

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=33636

€80 not great though, might prefer a pair of Celestron Skymaster binoculars for that price...

I got this for 40 euro earlier in the year. Lidl had it on half price warehouse clearance. NOt had much chance to use it yet :(

I remember going for that warehouse clearance last year in that shopping centre in the Northside and seeing the last ones going out the door when I got there, gutted. Definitely a bargain at 40 quid.

Advertisement