Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who looks after tradesman?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Glad to see its sorted :)

Is the extra work worth going back for? Wait till the cheque clears and decide.it may be nice to have a possibility of ongoing work !

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mfarr3ll

Glad to see its sorted :)

Is the extra work worth going back for? Wait till the cheque clears and decide.it may be nice to have a possibility of ongoing work !

He's just in he said she tried to bargain with him he actually picked up cash took 500 and agreed she could get someone else to coat the wardrobe's think he's had enough hassle he said she runs hot and cold and can't be dealing with that. I probably sound like a right moan but it's very annoying that there is so much protection for consumers but not alot of decent tradesman. Tradesman.ie were on to him and they could have sent an investigator as the job came through them but after costs he would have had zilch left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Mfarr3ll wrote: »
    He's just in he said she tried to bargain with him he actually picked up cash took 500 and agreed she could get someone else to coat the wardrobe's think he's had enough hassle he said she runs hot and cold and can't be dealing with that. I probably sound like a right moan but it's very annoying that there is so much protection for consumers but not alot of decent tradesman. Tradesman.ie were on to him and they could have sent an investigator as the job came through them but after costs he would have had zilch left

Cash is better than a cheque any day of the week.:)

Deposit up front and staged payments may be the only solution soon.
    A friend of mine got stung for coach hire to a school a few years ago. The cheque bounced.
    He got to a stage where he only took credit card payments up front !

A friend of mine got stung for coach hire to a school a few years ago. The cheque bounced.

God its unreal. He actually does stage payments he done 4k worth of work prior and then she added sliderobes and shelving this was the last of it. Some people are never happy she said she was poor and couldn't afford more than 200 so he said he would take her laptop and sell it so her husband just came in and handed him the rest I don't want to insult anyone but j think the woman might be bi polar her mood is an uncertainty at the best of times or maybe just a complete nut job 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Indeed.

These days Mr OBumble is happy to accompany people to the shop etc and help them pick the <<whatever>> they want - but he no longer provides cashflow for any materials that cost more than about a tenner.

Too many messers who change their minds too easily

• Advertisement

Indeed.

These days Mr OBumble is happy to accompany people to the shop etc and help them pick the <<whatever>> they want - but he no longer provides cashflow for any materials that cost more than about a tenner.

Are u serious ? Wow that's great he can do that my husband would never do that he would see it as being unprofessional (I don't mean your husband is x) I think people in the ares he works wouldn't like thst either he's got a lovely couple in baldoyle who he said would bend over back wards for you and them the clients I think it really depends on the people it's so stressful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Indeed.

Makes Mr OBumble sound like an odd job man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Mfarr3ll wrote: »
    she's a real meath woman and said the usual thinking a cup of tea could sort it all.
    You have us Meath people well sussed. ;)

kc66 wrote: »
    You have us Meath people well sussed. ;)

Helps that I am one 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Had often thought that there is an opening for someone to act as an escrow/arbitrator for sole trader jobs.
    Think about it.
    Jobs of 500 to 1000 a 5% fee and so forth.
    Entering in to agreement would be agreeing to the arbitrator decision as being final.
    You can be sure both parties would cross the t's and dot i's beforehand.
    Full monies would sit with arbitrator before work commenced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Had often thought that there is an opening for someone to act as an escrow/arbitrator for sole trader jobs.
    Think about it.
    Jobs of 500 to 1000 a 5% fee and so forth.
    Entering in to agreement would be agreeing to the arbitrator decision as being final.
    You can be sure both parties would cross the t's and dot i's beforehand.
    Full monies would sit with arbitrator before work commenced

For 5% I'd definitely be willing to volunteer to do it! What sort of transactions would you think this would interest people for tradesman jobs? I think it would be tricky to set up you would need it to be a body which both parties trust the only company I can imagine it could really work with would be An Post that would make it handier too as you could lodge at one branch and the worker could collect at another. I would trust banks but the way you hear a lot of people talking that wouldn't be the case with a lot it seems!

Also note it is possible to delete posts instead of just edit it out on the other thread.

Trust. Well, i guess it would have to have accreditation and bonding attached to it.
    Trust of arbitrator is the same trust we would put in a judge. However a judge can not ensure that the money is paid over/back/etc.

5% is really just an example.
    Either way the business model would have to be thought out carefully.

Trust. Well, i guess it would have to have accreditation and bonding attached to it.
    Trust of arbitrator is the same trust we would put in a judge. However a judge can not ensure that the money is paid over/back/etc.

5% is really just an example.
    Either way the business model would have to be thought out carefully.

Just found that BOI do actually offer it to corporate customers.

I would imagine that for the small amounts that STs normally deal in it just wouldn't be worth the effort. The sender and receiver are likely to not want to pay that much and the escrow holder is unlikely to do it for so little. Presumably with the BOI offering there are fairly high minimums for them to get involved.

Well. Let us consider a 5k job.
    If the escrow cost was 2%/100e. That is 50 to both supplier and client for a lot of peace of mind.
    Most likely that it would not go to arbitration so a win/win/win.
    Further, arbitration when required may not be so complex. In the case of the OP, I imagine that if they used escrow then the detail would have been put into the agreed job to begin with? So the fact that escrow was entered in to is likely to reduce the need for arbitration.
    Further, the arbitrator does not have to chase his payment which is a big+ in business model.

Then it's more likely not on the 500-1000 jobs as was suggested before. I don't many would bother using it for exchanges under 5kish.

Are you a tradesperson, who has to frequently outlay money on materials with no guarantee of payment?

Are you a tradesperson, who has to frequently outlay money on materials with no guarantee of payment?

All of what I do involves an outlay with no guarantee of payment unfortunately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

OP I think your husband should stop taking cheques. Give people his account details instead and get people to wire the money. If he is sole trader, he can view his bank account on his phone.

Cheques IMO are not worth the hassle. You have to queue in the bank with them,wait for them to clear, deal with bounced cheques etc. Wire transfers are easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

jimmii wrote: »
    Then it's more likely not on the 500-1000 jobs as was suggested before. I don't many would bother using it for exchanges under 5kish.
    As you say Jimmii, it's not a business model. Escrow works for very large sums, in M&A, investment scenarios, where the escrow fees would pay for a decent sized extension, fitted wardrobes in every room and a kitchen thrown in. Wouldn't work for farty deals with plumbers.
    I've participated in several arbitrations, the arbitrator get 10k for the day. Makes my fee look small!

Advertisement