Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't mention...

• 21-11-2015 2:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭

Watching the Fall and Rise of Reggie Perrin, series 1, episode 4.

C.J.:
    (He stands, and walks round to face Reggie) And I'm worried bout Harris-Jones and his fancy underpants. (He presses his intercom). Send him in please, Marion. (To Reggie). Do you think he's a pansy, Reggie? Never felt any stray hands round your nether regions?

Reggie:
    Certainly not, C.J.

C.J. goes on to grill Harris-Jones in the next scenes.

C.J.:
    I wonder if you're cut out for this kind of life, David. Perhaps you'd be better off running a boutique, or a wine bar, or a hairdressing salon. There are plenty of opportunities open for the gifted homosexuals.

We have talked about it before about it being allowed then and not now, loads of examples I am sure.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Ruu wrote: »

C.J.:
    (He stands, and walks round to face Reggie) And I'm worried bout Harris-Jones and his fancy underpants. (He presses his intercom). Send him in please, Marion. (To Reggie). Do you think he's a pansy, Reggie? Never felt any stray hands round your nether regions?

Reggie:
    Certainly not, C.J.

C.J.:
    I wonder if you're cut out for this kind of life, David. Perhaps you'd be better off running a boutique, or a wine bar, or a hairdressing salon. There are plenty of opportunities open for the gifted homosexuals.

We have talked about it before about it being allowed then and not now, loads of examples I am sure.

How do you mean?Things which you could joke about it in the past but not now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I thought C.J. had it about right (back then) but you could now add in politicians, footballers, rugby referees and pop stars to the list of suitable jobs. I have the boxed set too - the series has aged well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

The death of Warren Mitchell last week brings to mind Till Death Us Do Part and Alf Garnetts politicaly incorrect tirades that deffo wouldnt be allowed in a sitcom today.I remember in one episode he was giving out about "yer coons" and how they'd be useless working in a coalmine cos theyd be bumping into each other in the dark.While hes saying this the TV repairman,who happens to be black has arrived unbeknown to him and is standing behind him listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

This classic from Spike Milligan would be skating on thin ice today from the animal rights people as well as anti-racism laws.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

The housekeeper in Reggie Perrin was ranting about 'coloureds' (seeing Reggie in disguise) and 'foreigners'. Sounds a bit like After Hours sometimes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I didn't to get where I am today contributing to threads like this:pac:

That early episode of Only Fools(first series I think) where Del and Rodney unknowingly end up in a gay bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Ruu wrote: »

C.J.:

Reggie:
    Certainly not, C.J.

C.J.:

TBH I think this is joking about C.J.'s own Awkwardness than his approach towards his employee. To me this scene in Reggie Perrin explains the writters and the main characters worldview at the time.

It is absolute and utter rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

How do you mean?Things which you could joke about it in the past but not now?

Has everyone heard of that "it was alright in the... " series

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/it-was-alright-in-the/episode-guide

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4202570/
    Celebrities young and old look back on the television of the 1970s, a time before political correctness took hold and casual racism, sexism and homophobia were the order of the day.

• Advertisement

I remember The Goodies having a few instances where they black up Al Jolsen style,one where Bill Oddie is supposed to be a rastfarian or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭George White

Del.Monte wrote: »
    This classic from Spike Milligan would be skating on thin ice today from the animal rights people as well as anti-racism laws.

It is prescient. The revived series of Dr. Who had a scene where various people were lined up to be transformed into Dalek mutants, including a few British-Asians.
    My theory is one of those became the Pakistani Dalek. And since Daleks time travel, it somehow ended up in 20th Century Britain.

Advertisement