Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quantum computing

Options
  • 21-11-2015 3:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

So here I am with my qualification in electronics. Now that was many years ago. And I do continue to have an interest in computing. Yes I can crack a wireless key, yes I can crack the encryption on a TV card but quantum computing brings things to a scary level. I remember my mum saying the internet was scary. And in truth she has a point. The internet is a wonderful intellectual resource and the biggest facilitator of the worst aspects in life. But I really worry about quantum computing. If its cracked there is no nuclear weapon code (I know, I've messed a bit with this for the crack, once you learn how to break something it just grows on you) that is safe and also it leads towards the concept of changing our whole genetic code ie. our dna. It is a very scary future we are heading towards. And then your bank account is just a number. How would you feel if it simply to zero (well you would be fine if you were in the negative). Quantum computing will do this and I don't think we will have the encryption to beat it. So get used (for starters) to typing in a 50 digit pin number with your bank card.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

flouncer wrote: »
    So here I am with my qualification in electronics
    Are you sure? Because none of the rest of your post shows any understanding of electronics, quantum computing, encryption, genetics, banking, or a variety of other disciplines

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The esb card meter has 60 digits,
    put in 60 nos, if one no is wrong ,you have to start again.
    banks will not issue cards with 60 digit pin codes,
    as people would not use them or remember 60 digits .
    4-6 digits should be enough to protect bank cards as the cards have a chip
    with its own unique code for each user .
    The point of a bank card pin is to be easy to use and remember
    no one will remember 60 digits .
    the shops in the us are still trying to bring in chip and pin cards.
    for now you give the shop your card and sign a form ,ie its card and sign .
    even chip and pin cards can be hacked .
    Many websites send user id,s, passwords in plain text , not encrypted .
    Or store most user data in non encrypted form as we have seen in the big recent uk mobile company
    hack.
    google and apple pay use once use user tokens for each payment ,
    Thats more secure ,
    the shop does not get all your credit card info ,just a digital token ,
    joe bloggs paid 10 euro for this item .
    so its much more secure .
    No company should ask users to type in 60 pin codes,
    even the mobile credit code is 16 characters ,
    the esb code should be maybe 10- 16 characters long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

28064212 wrote: »
    Are you sure? Because none of the rest of your post shows any understanding of electronics, quantum computing, encryption, genetics, banking, or a variety of other disciplines
    With basic computing you get to crack the psn network, the SuperValu network. I just know how to use basic computing. As to what a quantum computer can do. I don't for one minute admit I know the scope of quantum computing, quantum defense systems, quantum medical health care as you can target on atomic level. I just say that while the internet scares my mum (many positive and negative uses) quantum mechanics bring it to the next happier/scarier level

Advertisement