Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's a random one for you - education

• 21-11-2015 6:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

I thought I'd ask the the teachers for something that I have been searching for over the past week or so - a definition of education.

I'm writing an academic paper on technology in education, but I'm struggling to find a text-book definition of education.

And as I'm sure you will appreciate, weblinks, Wikipedia and the like are not acceptable at this level, ideally it would be a core teacher-theory textbook or academic paper that is considered seminal or authoritative.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭smallgarden

you could just use a dictionary definition http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/education

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

you could just use a dictionary definition http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/education

No, that wouldn't be sufficient for an academic paper, unfortunately. It needs to help my argument, so I have to quote somebody authoritative who was also making an argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

You look for Plato or Dewey's interpretation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    You look for Plato or Dewey's interpretation?

I don't think in my context Plato warrants a discussion, do I'll go with the likes of Dewey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I don't think in my context Plato warrants a discussion, do I'll go with the likes of Dewey.

Maybe this quote from Dewey might open some doors..

"...education is a regulation of the process of coming to share in the social consciousness; and that the adjustment of individual activity on the basis of this social consciousness is the only sure method of social reconstruction" (1897, p. 16 My Pedagogic Creed).

That could lead you into the 'critical pedagogy' movement Good old WIKIpage and Paulo Freire's student centered approach. I think there is still this kind of conflict going on in classrooms in terms of 'lecturing' vs. a discovery style approach that's being promoted with the use of IT. Although I think that even though Paulo Freire never really went on too much about IT in education I came across some article somewhere saying his ideas seem to fit in with it fairly seamlessly.

Anyhow there's some more rabbit-holes to keep you out of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Maybe this quote from Dewey might open some doors..

"...education is a regulation of the process of coming to share in the social consciousness; and that the adjustment of individual activity on the basis of this social consciousness is the only sure method of social reconstruction" (1897, p. 16 My Pedagogic Creed).

That could lead you into the 'critical pedagogy' movement Good old WIKIpage and Paulo Freire's student centered approach. I think there is still this kind of conflict going on in classrooms in terms of 'lecturing' vs. a discovery style approach that's being promoted with the use of IT. Although I think that even though Paulo Freire never really went on too much about IT in education I came across some article somewhere saying his ideas seem to fit in with it fairly seamlessly.

Anyhow there's some more rabbit-holes to keep you out of trouble.

Have a look in the Delors report (OECD) from about 1996. There's a very broad definition in there somewhere, id post it if I wasn't on the phone.

UNESCO not OECD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Have a look in the Delors report (OECD) from about 1996. There's a very broad definition in there somewhere, id post it if I wasn't on the phone.

There ya go, education is..

at the heart of both personal and community development; its mission is to enable each of us, without exception, to develop all our talents to the full and to realize our creative potential, including responsibility for our own lives and achievement of our personal
    aims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Have you ever heard this one...

"It's not the filling of a bucket but the lighting of a flame."

Gets coat.

Advertisement