Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disagreement with girlfriend's housemates

Options
  • 21-11-2015 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend is renting in a 3 bed house, she has 3 house mates who live in the upstairs bedrooms while she sublets from one and lives in the living room which is converted into a bedroom (actually a nice room, tbh). She goes to college during the week most days starting classes at about lunchtime, and works 3 weeknights and Saturdays.
    The issue is that my girlfriend has to get up on Saturday at 6am for work and last night, around 10am, her housemates started drinking and playing loud music in the kitchen (right next to her room).

I first went in and asked could they turn it down, as she had to get up early the next morning. Their response was that they would turn it down around midnight, when they had their fun. I said that was unacceptable and we then descended into an argument concerning my personal lack of rights in the house, how they could call the guards and landlord on us for living in a sitting room (???), how they can legally make as much noise as they like until midnight and how (conveniently) one of them has all of a sudden always had a problem with the noise my girlfriend makes in the morning (note how my girlfriend does not actually get up early during the week, except to work on Saturdays). I, of course, was having none of it, so they ended just saying they wouldn't deal with me only her.
    I got her to go into talk with them and the same things came up, I went back in with her and we argued more along the same lines - more repeated threats to call guards/landlord on my girlfriend for subletting and living in a sitting room, with added "my girlfriend should learn to compromise by giving up her sleep when they want to party", "this is Ireland, this is the culture on Friday nights" and "my girlfriend should leave if she doesn't like it". Obviously, all BS of the highest order.
    Unfortunately, they were too drunk and abusive to argue with, so I couldn't do anything further about it last night.

TL:DR version: Drunken, abusive and noisy housemates post 10pm ignoring requests to be quiet by subletting girlfriend who works at 6am next day.

What can I do about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

i think you are the bully. What had it got to do with you?

10pm is reasonable to be in your sitting room on a friday listening to music. They offered to turn it down at midnight.

Of it was me id be complaining about a visitor to the house complaining that i cant play a few tunes at 10pm on a friday and ask that you are banned from the house

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

nothing, its part of student life, it was a friday night and you dont even live there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I was going to say move, but my two compadres summed it up already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Yeah, I'm with the other two posters.
    Are you contributing to rent and bills?
    It's none of your business. They live there. You don't live there. You have no right to tell them what they can do in their own homes. 10pm is not an unreasonable hour of the evening and I would be very very very unimpressed with a housemate having her boyfriend stay over and dictate to the tenants of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Its was a Friday night, 10 pm is not late.

Maybe these are not the digs you are looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

They did nothing wrong. it's entirely normal to play music and drink at 10pm. 2am would be out of order, but 10pm?!

Sorry but you and your girlfriend are totally in the wrong.

That aside, youre a guest. The absolute cheek of you, a non-paying guest, to tell the people paying for the house to stop enjoying themselves! It's not your place at all, let alone at 10pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Could ye not have stayed in your house if ye wanted some sleep? It's not the housemates problem that your girlfriend works early on Saturday morning. Ridiculous telling them to be quiet at 10pm at the weekend. Either be sociable and join their party for a bit or buy some earplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If I knew somebody in the house was up at 6am I would be trying to avoid making noise that late. In saying that, the setup of that house is not doing any favours. You can normally do whatever you want downstairs in a house(within reason) without disturbing people asleep upstairs.

I don't care that the OP doesn't live there, he initially just asked if they could turn down the music, I know my OH would be too shy to say anything in a similar situation.

Either way, the only solution is to move....or earplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

theteal wrote: »
    If I knew somebody in the house was up at 6am I would be trying to avoid making noise that late. In saying that, the setup of that house is not doing any favours. You can normally do whatever you want downstairs in a house(within reason) without disturbing people asleep upstairs.

I don't care that the OP doesn't live there, he initially just asked if they could turn down the music, I know my OH would be too shy to say anything in a similar situation.

Either way, the only solution is to move....or earplugs.

He/she initially just asked could the music be turned down. But when they said they would at midnight they said it was "unacceptable".

OP 10 pm on a fri night is ot late at all. A midnight offer was relatively reasonable imo.

I agree with others get ear plugs or move out. Or would you stay in your house instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

amdublin wrote: »
    He/she initially just asked could the music be turned down. But when they said they would at midnight they said it was "unacceptable".

I skimmed over that bit (cat trying to lick my phone didn't help), the OP didn't help himself with that reaction. 'Unacceptable' is a strong retort where he should realise that the others would be doing him a favour by lowering the music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

OP, you are the one creating a problem in a house where you are a guest. Your girlfriend is well able to speak for herself I'm sure and now you've created a situation which may see her having to move out, and certainly things will be uncomfortable for her there for a while at least. Best if you stay away for a while and when you next turn up, apologise, that you overstepped the mark and leave it at that. I would probably have been more accommodating but your actions would have convinced me that you are no longer welcome in the house, hence my advice to apologise and walk away, not get drawn into another argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Angry bird wrote: »
    OP, you are the one creating a problem in a house where you are a guest. Your girlfriend is well able to speak for herself I'm sure and now you've created a situation which may see her having to move out, and certainly things will be uncomfortable for her there for a while at least. Best if you stay away for a while and when you next turn up, apologise, that you overstepped the mark and leave it at that. I would probably have been more accommodating but your actions would have convinced me that you are no longer welcome in the house, hence my advice to apologise and walk away, not get drawn into another argument.

OP do this ^^^

A few years back, I was staying at a friends house for a week sleeping in a sleeping bag in the sitting room while working at the Galway races. Very long hours, over 100 that week and I knew all the lads in the house well having stayed there regularly on a Saturday night. My friend and his cousins (who I had met a few times previously) came back after the night club around half two and proceeded to start a house party. After a few minutes I got up and let them know in no uncertain terms that there were a few people working early in the morning, stfu, and go to bed. They did. I made sure in the morning to apologise to the people that were actually living there, but they all agreed I was right, the cousins were a few years younger and that somebody needed to say something to them. Different situation, but I made sure to nip any problems in the bud with the people that mattered, my friend and the other tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

A few years back, I was staying at a friends house for a week sleeping in a sleeping bag in the sitting room while working at the Galway races. Very long hours, over 100 that week and I knew all the lads in the house well having stayed there regularly on a Saturday night. My friend and his cousins (who I had met a few times previously) came back after the night club around half two and proceeded to start a house party. After a few minutes I got up and let them know in no uncertain terms that there were a few people working early in the morning, stfu, and go to bed. They did. I made sure in the morning to apologise to the people that were actually living there, but they all agreed I was right, the cousins were a few years younger and that somebody needed to say something to them. Different situation, but I made sure to nip any problems in the bud with the people that mattered, my friend and the other tenants.

playing a few tunes at 10pm on a friday and a house party after a night club are not similar in any way shape or form

playing a few tunes at 10pm on a friday and a house party after a night club are not similar in any way shape or form
    Yes, but it wasn't my place, and like the OP I lost the cool but I knew it was my friend and felt free to let rip whereas if it was one of the other tenants and his mates, I wouldn't have.

I've been in my fair share of house shares in my time, in college and afterwards, and I was usually the quiet one. The number 1 pet hate was the OH of someone in the house practically moving themselves in rent free. 2nd was noisy housemates.

The fact that in the op the poster said the housemates said they'd call the guards for "them" living in a living room, makes me wonder if he's also a tenant or if he's outstayed his welcome. The fact he feels like it's his place to sort this out suggests he seems to have a notion that this is his right. The fact the girlfriend could go speak to them mid arguement would suggest she's well able to speak up for herself.

If a non paying guest in a house I was paying for started laying down the law to me, rest assured he'd never be in the house again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

In civilised countries music and other noise - and even flushing toilets - are shut off at 10pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Ah never live with owner occupiers everyone is told. They're bolloxes everyone is told. My Lodger came in at 8pm last night absolutely shattered and went straight to bed. Cue the wife and I popping upstairs and letting the poor lad get some kip.

In civilised countries music and other noise - and even flushing toilets - are shut off at 10pm.

While I'm almost with you on the Ireland being some sort of wild west, the fact is the culture is different here. Many aspects of it annoy the crap out of me, many suit me down to the ground. If you're in digs 10pm on a Friday night is not unreasonable to be up and making use of a home you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

The only thing the housemates did wrong was threaten to call the guards to report them living in a sitting room. That's just all kinds of stupid.

OP you and your girlfriend need to grow up. 10pm any night is not late. Many people working full time stressful jobs with a commute either end are up at that hour every day and still manage to function after 10pm every night. Your girlfriend attends lectures a few hours a week and works on Saturdays. Sorry, but it would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetic.

And the matter of you, a stranger, dictating to the people paying rent and bills. How dare you. Just how dare you. A few posters have already said if it was their home you would not be welcome in the future. Well if it was my house, you would have been out in the street that very minute.

• Advertisement

Courtesy is 10 Pm on school nights. Friday and Saturday nights are party nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

If you're in digs 10pm on a Friday night is not unreasonable to be up and making use of a home you pay for.

If you were in 'digs' - boarding with a landlady - you certainly wouldn't be getting drunk on any night or you'd be swiftly out the door!

Op's GF is not in digs and also, if the house owner wished to play music or party, the same rules apply as above..

If you were in 'digs' - boarding with a landlady - you certainly wouldn't be getting drunk on any night or you'd be swiftly out the door!

Which is probably why the housemates in question decided to rent on their own and not with a boarding lady

Being from a civilised country digs mean something different to me. But granted different here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

OP you are in the wrong here as already pointed out. It's not the housemates fault that she works early on a Saturday, you should consider what would happen if the shoe was on the other foot.

For a start your gf should fight her own battles. Secondly she could ask a housemate to swap rooms so that she could be further away from the kitchen. Not having a living room is very difficult and leads to the over use of the kitchen so noise is probably a regular issue.

The alternative is for her to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The sheer cheek of the OP barging in with the audacity to try and lay down the law in a house he doesn't live in. Unbelievable.

You need to stay out of this. It isn't your problem and more importantly you are not allowed to make it your problem. Everybody else cannot accommodate your girlfriends odd schedule. They were also right in complaining about your girlfriend making a lot of noise at 6am on a Saturday as a retort, something they were willing to sweep under the rug until you came out all guns blazing.

This post boils my blood. People like this are why housesharing is such a nightmare sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

it can't be the first time they've partied on a friday night so has something happened to make them respond to your request for less noise this time?
    they were being reasonable fair in agreeing to turn it off at midnight. maybe if you had been willing to accept that it would not have blown up like it did, but i realise you were maybe conscious of your oh having to get up early.
    tbh it would have been better if she had asked, although they must have known she got up early on sat for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

I'm guessing the Op regrets starting this thread!!! :D

Btw I agree that the Op is completely in the wrong here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Its was a Friday night, 10 pm is not late.

Maybe these are not the digs you are looking for.

Classic, and you got a dig in too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement