Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Motorcycle Muffs 21/11/15

• 21-11-2015 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭

Have a Bandit '03 for commuting 40km each way and last night 1am on way home it was cold so thought I'd get some muffs for extra protection from the cold, I'm steering towards Oxford rain seal muffs has anyone used these or other types and anywhere in Dublin area stock them??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Sorry....i was thinkin of something else......:o.....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I'm steering towards Oxford rain seal muffs has anyone used these or other types and anywhere in Dublin area stock them??
    Would you not be concerned about getting your hands out of them quickly? I'd feel like my hands were trapped.
    I was thinking of getting hand guards, but my bike has an after market handle bar, so it's not straight forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you're commute is on fast roads the muffs can push back on the levers. Heated grips will keep you warm and if necessary bush guards will keep the wind/rain off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you're commute is on fast roads the muffs can push back on the levers. Heated grips will keep you warm and if necessary bush guards will keep the wind/rain off.

Already have Oxford heated grips still cold, and yes motorway km's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Depends on the muffs. Some have a frame around them to stop them pushing back on the levers.

I have Powermadd sentinel handguards on my fz1 and there is a muff attachment that can wrap over the handguards if needed

• Advertisement

Had the "push back" problem when i was a courier..piece of brush handle peared down to fit inside bar end, sticking out a couple of inches, screw and a washer through the muff (ouch!!) into the dowel...sorted...

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭kawasaki1100

Had the same problem with the heated grips but upgraded my gloves, problem sorted😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Try bush guards. I had a go on a friends bike recently and felt the cold with his grips on full as his bike didn't have bush guards. I was only using my grips on low for a few minutes on my bike which has bush guards, I was on my bike on the faster roads.

Muffs and bushes.........leave it out lads...:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You just can't beat slipping into something warm though, it a great feeling.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You just can't beat slipping into something warm though, it a great feeling.

like dog poo..........:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

like dog poo..........:D
    I said slipping into, not on!:pac:
    Seriously though, Muffs are brilliant at keeping hands toasty.
    Cold hands can seriously reduce control so its important for safety to have decent protection from cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I hate the restriction that comes with using muffs but you just can't beat the heat. Id be hesitant about buying ones that seal around your hands though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Get the Givi ones, they have a sort of hard edge around them, which, on some bikes keep them away from the levers. That said, if you install them over a set of hand guards,should alleviate clutch and brake levers being pressed on by the muffs.

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Went with the Oxford muffs, fitted no problem, yes are a bit big but can fit hands with gloves on very comfortably no chance of getting caught up in them,
    i might have hit a speed of 160km's on motorway with no issues of pushing on the brake lever. Kept my hands dry and warm so result so far.

Wish someone would have told me that the muffs could flick you're engine cut off switch to off while travelling at approx 160 km or more.. Thought i blew the engine, pushed the bike for about a kilometre before i realised the switch was in the off position, duh! Anyway thanks to the three cars who stopped to see if i needed help, pushing a 600cc bike up a motorway slip road at 1am is unhealthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Wish someone would have told me that the muffs could flick you're engine cut off switch to off while travelling at approx 160 km or more.. Thought i blew the engine, pushed the bike for about a kilometre before i realised the switch was in the off position, duh! Anyway thanks to the three cars who stopped to see if i needed help, pushing a 600cc bike up a motorway slip road at 1am is unhealthy.

Some job !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Sorry man, cracking up laughing at that, I've done the exact same but went out and bought a new battery, replaced the old one and still no kick out of it. Took the muffs off and yep, the kill switch was in the off position. Somethings are learned the hard way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

At speed my muffs used to push my clutch in so it felt like my clutch was slipping

• Advertisement
Advertisement