Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imperial stout (Kit Hack)

Options
  • 21-11-2015 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, so I got some kits for free off a mate (I'm AG brewing a year now) and I though I'd do an imperial stout kit hack (similar to Coopers RIS).

Seen as I got them free I might as well have a bit of fun

Plan is to brew to 20L
    1 X Youngs 1.5kg Stout can
    1 X Youngs 1.5kg Bitter can
    1 X Youngs 1.5kg Pilsner can
    1 X 1kg of dextrose

What yeast would you recommend ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

You could try a nottingham ale yeast, because that'll get you a pretty high alcohol content (I'm assuming that's what you're going for when you say imperial), that's what I used in my braggot and holy crap did it turn out boozy! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Yep, the coopers recipe comes in at 9.2% so this should be simalar

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

Does the yeast variety have an impact on the final alcohol level ? I thought that the yeast variety has two functions. 1). Taste, and 2) to facilitate fermentation, but isn't the alcohol level a function of how much dextrose/sugar gets fermented ? Once the fermentation gets started, then it is a chain reaction, until complete, regardless of the yeast strain. ? So yeast won't have an impact on alcohol level.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yeast does. Some yeasts are hungrier than others and will leave less residual sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Some yeast tops out at certain abv levels
    But should be able to hit 9% alright

You might add 2 sachets to a stronger wort, to avoid stressing the yeasties

I'd also get one or 2 bigger bottles and put them by until next xmas, or the one after; back of the press jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah, use 2 sachets.

Advertisement