Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo

Options
  • 21-11-2015 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭

Any thoughts on whether bamboo would grow in a thin narrow raised bed?

What type of bamboo should I use? And can I plant this time of the year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Once the soil is deep enough, yes, it will grow.

The type of bamboo you choose depends on how much you're willing to spend: bamboo can be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Once the soil is deep enough, yes, it will grow.

The type of bamboo you choose depends on how much you're willing to spend: bamboo can be expensive.

Thanks lazy bones - I like the look of the bamboo with the orange stem.

The bed is about 5 meters in length.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

bamboo tends to have shallow roots and the roots tend to go out sideways,make sure and get clump forming bamboo as the older type has runners and will go everywhere,you will here people saying stay away from it as it goes everywhere,ive have bamboo down years and in my parents (clump forming) and its fine and compact,and if you are in a very exposed site get one that doesnt mind wind,alot of bamboo can dry out even in winter if its an exposed site,they need plenty of water in the growing season .there is a brilliant nursery in waterford ,stams bamboo i think,give them a buzz.home grown and supporting irish as apposed to imported stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Does the raised bed have a wall behind it, best not to leave it exposed as the above poster has said....otherwise it can be scorched and lose leaves or suffer windrock and
    dry out the roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Yes the raised bed has a wall behind it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Any thoughts on whether bamboo would grow in a thin narrow raised bed?

What type of bamboo should I use? And can I plant this time of the year?

We plant Bamboo in Raised Beds almost continuously! Why, because as a shallow root plant it is easily managed in confined quarters and more importantly as a common application is for screening purposes and it's skyscraper growing type characteristics, ie small footprint but tall upward growth, makes bamboo and increasingly popular choice for screening/privacy or simply tall backdrops. Beware even clumping type Bamboos can spread but when grown in restricted ground conditions ie Raised planter bed with a secure boundary (ideally concrete blockwall minimum 50cm deep and ideally 40-60cm wide) it is easily and safely managed. Initially bamboo requires 3-6 months to become independent and established, and during the settling in phase it will require regular watering (lots) as drought is the main cause of plant failure. Windy conditions can be problematic, dehydration and leaf scorching (black stemmed varieties are more vulnerable) but conditions can be managed (extra water/irrigation pipe) until plants become established. Recommended varieties (Tall growing) Phyllostachyus greenstem or P - Vivax or Aureoacalis - yellow stems. For smaller (< 2m) Fargesias are a good choice.

Planting in the damper/colder time of year is ideal as plants require less minding and will be well established by the time the dryer warmer weather returns.

Advertisement