Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Stan27 wrote: »
    With fox, Heenan and Masterson out at the moment could One argue that our first choice back row are injured

No, Muldoon starts if he's fit, while Fox and Heenan compete for the 7 jersey. Muldoon, Heenan and Masterson would be the first choice back row IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Zzippy wrote: »
    No, Muldoon starts if he's fit, while Fox and Heenan compete for the 7 jersey. Muldoon, Heenan and Masterson would be the first choice back row IMO

We are starting to get an embarrassment of riches in the back row SOB 2.0 is epic I really like Connolly at 7 and McKeown as a 7-8.

Pat is really creating a squad depth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Aki will be fine. These PI boys have such big leg muscles that they don't actually need ligaments to hold their knees together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

The good thing is that there is a three-week rest period (with apologies to Treviso) before the Glasgow game.

But quite simply he is irreplaceable in the Connacht team and if he's not back for the play-offs, it's a massive blow to their hopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

We are starting to get an embarrassment of riches in the back row SOB 2.0 is epic I really like Connolly at 7 and McKeown as a 7-8.

Pat is really creating a squad depth

Yeah that's what I said earlier, lot of depth to finish the season. Would have been really harsh on McKeon and SOB 2.0 to drop them, they are very consistent, good tacklers and fresh, they both began to play regularly quite late this season. They'll have huge impact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'll post it here rather than the match thread so as not to salt the wound for the Munster lads, full match now available on youtube, I think I'll be bookmarking it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

That Thumbnail of Cronin for the second half says it all

" I done ****ed up"

connachta wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I said earlier, lot of depth to finish the season. Would have been really harsh on McKeon and SOB 2.0 to drop them, they are very consistent, good tacklers and fresh, they both began to play regularly quite late this season. They'll have huge impact

I still think we need to add a (and I hate to say this) big carrier into the pack for the champions cup next year. We don't have any real gainline threats up front

I still think we need to add a (and I hate to say this) big carrier into the pack for the champions cup next year. We don't have any real gainline threats up front

A certain Mr. Ultan Dillane begs to differ :p

Bazzo wrote: »
    A certain Mr. Ultan Dillane begs to differ :p

That's fair enough. And I agree. But is one enough and there's a word beginning with I that has plagued Connacht so a bit of forward planning might not be a bad thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

That's fair enough. And I agree. But is one enough and there's a word beginning with I that has plagued Connacht so a bit of forward planning might not be a bad thing

Ireland call ups?

dub_skav wrote: »
    Ireland call ups?

Sorry 2 terms beginning with I

That's exactly what I said yesterday!
    Masterson is out till December in theory, and we're playing ChampionsCup FFS. Time to add a ball carrier inside our powerhouse. We need this big n°8 to go to the next (international) level
    But here I was answering to Stan27 who said missing Fox Heenan and Masterson was missing our best back-row. Maybe, but really not by far with McKeon and SOB fit and fresh

http://www.the42.ie/analysis-connacht-pat-lam-2-4-2-shape-2721781-Apr2016/

Kinsellas analysis from the game well worth a read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

My pet peeve of rugby analysis. "I'm gonna use a long winded step by step example to demonstrate this strategy" - "now as you can see in this instance they didn't use 2-4-2, but that's flexibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Just watching it back on Setanta.
    2 things:

Carty looks sharp and confident.

I now know what a 2-4-2 is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Connacht will definitely need some extra beef and ball carrying up front next season to compete in Europe. Especially with Muldowney leaving as he's one of the best ball carriers we have.

Connacht will definitely need some extra beef and ball carrying up front next season to compete in Europe. Especially with Muldowney leaving as he's one of the best ball carriers we have.

You know by my previous posts I share the point. But not about Muldowney, as good as he is, he doesn't really gain ground in contact. We need a 5/8 à la Fonua

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Just to chime in on the Sportsground/Relocation topic which Pat Lam and Gerry Thornley have been talking about recently..

One option for IGB, if they were to indeed relocate from the Sportsground, would be to share faculties at Ballybrit Racecourse. There is a very good example of that arrangement already in Dundalk Stadium (below).

dundalk-stadium.jpg

Certainly bringing in Galway United would make a redeveloped Sportsground more sustainable.

Relocating the training pitch and facilities to NUIG would also be a good move. Leinster have moved to UCD and Munster will be moving to UL so the tie in with third level seems like a good example.

Gerry's article today: https://twitter.com/IrishTimesSport/status/722304515408441347

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Heenan staying is massive, he just needs stop getting hurt.

Save me Jebus!

The dogs are NOT GOING TO MOVE.
    Why would they? They are making a killing of Connacht, and the location for their race goers has the same perks as it has for Connacht fans.

The only thing Connacht could/should do is focus on what they have control over.
    The idea of a seated stand on the college road side was stoopid.
    The dogs should and could not let that happen, and rugby supporters would always prefer to be on the sideline rather than the endline.
    They have planning to extend the Clan. It would add the extra 1500 - 2000 that would be a realistic extension. It would have no impact on the dogs and be far more desirable from a rugby supporters point of view.
    The only question is would it be comfortable and properly sheltered.

The main point is; Connacht (and it's fans) telling every other sporting association (be it GUFC, IGB or GAA) what they should do because it suits Connacht is ridiculous. We, at most, will have sold out three games in the regular season this year

The main main point is the Government should tell everyone what to do and create big municipal stadiums in all population centres. However, the main main main point is; I would be happier if they were to look at sorting out homeless people before worrying about the lads who are late buying their tickets for the rugby.

THE DOGS ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE!
    Accept this and work with it.

I gave an example of where the dogs moved from a central location (Ramparts in Dundalk) to share with a racecourse (Dundalk Stadium).

No need to shout, relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Will the dogs move?

Will the dogs move?

Unlikely I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Save me Jebus!

Why would they? They are making a killing of Connacht, and the location for their race goers has the same perks as it has for Connacht fans.

The only thing Connacht could/should do is focus on what they have control over.
    The dogs should and could not let that happen, and rugby supporters would always prefer to be on the sideline rather than the endline.
    They have planning to extend the Clan. It would add the extra 1500 - 2000 that would be a realistic extension. It would have no impact on the dogs and be far more desirable from a rugby supporters point of view.

The main point is; Connacht (and it's fans) telling every other sporting association (be it GUFC, IGB or GAA) what they should do because it suits Connacht is ridiculous. We, at most, will have sold out three games in the regular season this year

The main main point is the Government should tell everyone what to do and create big municipal stadiums in all population centres. However, the main main main point is; I would be happier if they were to look at sorting out homeless people before worrying about the lads who are late buying their tickets for the rugby.

First I heard of Connacht telling every sporting association what to do outside of the dogs. The dogs were nearly gone on one occasion, but they were a nightmare to negotiate with. Talk to a group from greyhound board in one meeting and in the next round of negotiations a completely new team from the board comes in. Cowboys.

Relax. Also, by the logic of your homelessness point every capital investment by the state should be stopped. Sad situation but just not relevant to the discussion at all.

Save me Jebus!

As far as I'm aware, and correct me if I'm wrong, the dogs (IGB) don't own the SG, they also have a lease on it from the owners, so the only killing they are making is on the bar and food concession in the main stand, they're not renting to Connacht Rugby. You're right on the other points, there is no way they will move and why would they? The extension to the Clan should be expedited to increase capacity and provide a seated option for fans, many people can't go because they are unable to stand for that long, or can't get a good view.

Edit: Heenan!!!! YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Winters wrote: »
    I gave an example of where the dogs moved from a central location (Ramparts in Dundalk) to share with a racecourse (Dundalk Stadium).

No need to shout, relax.

Yup, I went over the top at you there.

I have avoided contributing to several different conversations on this topic over the last few months because everyone is soo incredibly blinkered and unrealistic in their ideas. Pats comments kick started the lunacy again over the last few days and I bit my tongue

Your rather innocuous post was the relativity teeny tiny straw that caused me to melt down.

So ..... anyway.
    Ronaldson and Heenan!
    Thats some good news! eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

As far as I'm aware, and correct me if I'm wrong, the dogs (IGB) don't own the SG, they also have a lease on it from the owners, so the only killing they are making is on the bar and food concession in the main stand, they're not renting to Connacht Rugby. You're right on the other points, there is no way they will move and why would they? The extension to the Clan should be expedited to increase capacity and provide a seated option for fans, many people can't go because they are unable to stand for that long, or can't get a good view.

The only problem with extending the Clan to add the seating above is that it would be very exposed up there.
    I'm sure there's work going on behind the scenes for a good while now, all this talk of a new stadium from Pat Lam and the media doesn't come from nowhere, there's a specific reason it's being pushed now.
    It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

In terms of redevelopment and relocation, every option is viable - some might just be more expensive than others. It pays to plan ahead and as Connacht are only tenants of the society that owns the Sportsground they as an organisation need to look at all options from short term to long term.

Gerry Thornley mentioned a figure of €3/€4 million to buy out IGB from their lease. Where he got that from i dont know but it's a base reference to evaluate the option of making the Sportsground field sports specific ie Rugby and Soccer.

Correct, The Galway Agricultural & Sports Society own the Sportsground.

Obviously they should just start with the two tiered redevelopment of the clan but I don't see any issue it they want to enquire if the dogs would be interested in moving, it's hardly doing any harm and if they say no then grand move on, nobody has suggested throwing them out.

its_phil wrote: »
    First I heard of Connacht telling every sporting association what to do outside of the dogs.

Relax. Also, by the logic of your homelessness point every capital investment by the state should be stopped. Sad situation but just not relevant to the discussion at all.

Connacht haven't but the suggestions that come up on the boards have every sporting organisation in Galway bowing to Connachts needs. It would be grand if that did happen but nowhere near realistic.

The homeless point was facetious.
    As far as I'm aware, and correct me if I'm wrong, the dogs (IGB) don't own the SG, they also have a lease on it from the owners, so the only killing they are making is on the bar and food concession in the main stand, they're not renting to Connacht Rugby.

That's correct. I was aware of that.
    I think they are primary tenants, I don't know if if Connacht sublet or have a deal directly with The Galway Agricultural & Sports Society.

The only problem with extending the Clan to add the seating above is that it would be very exposed up there.
    I'm sure there's work going on behind the scenes for a good while now, all this talk of a new stadium from Pat Lam and the media doesn't come from nowhere, there's a specific reason it's being pushed now.
    It will be interesting to see what comes of it.

Agreed, it would need an extended roof to provide any bit of cover. Long term, demolishing the main stand building and building a proper stand there the length of the pitch would be brilliant if they had the ambition. Something like the east stand/terrace in Thomond, seating above a terrace that comes right to the edge of the track so fans are closer to the pitch...

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

Random query - the training tops aren't available for general sale to the public are they ? Is there a way to get some gear that I could wear in sunnier climates ? All my gear is more sportsground on a winters night than Caribbean climate!

Somehow I don't think my baseball cap will cut it for the business end of this season / CC next season.

• Advertisement

I expected both to stay on after one of the more accruate sources here confirmed Heenan but its fantastic news all the same.

Some headache for Lam next year if, by some miracle, the back row is fully fit. Muldoon, SOB, McKeon, Heenan, Fox-Matamua, Masterson, Connolly plus more than likely another signing there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

tiger_cub wrote: »
    Random query - the training tops aren't available for general sale to the public are they ? Is there a way to get some gear that I could wear in sunnier climates ? All my gear is more sportsground on a winters night than Caribbean climate!

Somehow I don't think my baseball cap will cut it for the business end of this season / CC next season.

Some t-shirts, polos and training tops here http://www.lifestylesports.com/icat/connachtrugbyallconnacht

Winters wrote: »
    Gerry Thornley mentioned a figure of €3/€4 million to buy out IGB from their lease. Where he got that from i dont know but it's a base reference to evaluate the option of making the Sportsground field sports specific ie Rugby and Soccer.

Thornley doesn't let facts get in the way of his word count.

For what it's worth I'd love to see the Sportground knocked and started from scratch in a more cohesive manner.
    A municipal stadium for Galway that could hold ALL sports, Rugby GAA, Soccer and even the dogs as well.
    It's a prime location and should be used as often as possible. That way Galway will get the most out of it.

I would hope the Rugby World Cup would open the door to this.

freyners wrote: »
    I expected both to stay on after one of the more accruate sources here confirmed Heenan but its fantastic news all the same.

Some headache for Lam next year if, by some miracle, the back row is fully fit. Muldoon, SOB, McKeon, Heenan, Fox-Matamua, Masterson, Connolly plus more than likely another signing there

Agree that's why I think one big marquee signing for both Aly and Naoupu would be wiser than splitting the money.

Once again "he" or "it", this beast would be absolutely perfect

1) he played in both France and England, good for Champions Cup
    2) 28-29 years old
    3) he played both 2nd and back-row
    4) he's out of contract with Leicester
    5) he'd bring the last element we miss IMO, here's what I call a ball-carrier who gains ground in contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Thornley doesn't let facts get in the way of his word count.

For what it's worth I'd love to see the Sportground knocked and started from scratch in a more cohesive manner.
    A municipal stadium for Galway that could hold ALL sports, Rugby GAA, Soccer and even the dogs as well.
    It's a prime location and should be used as often as possible. That way Galway will get the most out of it.

I would hope the Rugby World Cup would open the door to this.

I'd hate to see a situation like in Limerick - a 45K and 25K stadium within stones throw of each other and both under utilised. A multi functional stadium where field sports, concerts, community events can be hosted is the optimal solution.

If it would need to comfortably accommodate 15-20K, for field event and an extra 10 for concerts and possibly roofed!

• Advertisement

We also don't want to end up in a situation like Munster currently are where redeveloping the stadium has landed them in a lot of debt. Obviously some debt will be incurred but if they can manage to get more parties on board and keep their goals realistic it'll soften the blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Ya for all the fine players that we have in the back row we don't really have a really good ball carrier there. A guy that could also play second row would be a bonus. Fonua would appear to fit the bill alright, absolutely huge man and cracking ball carrier.

I notice he hasn't featured much at all for Leicester though, any reason for this? Has he been injured a lot?

Ya for all the fine players that we have in the back row we don't really have a really good ball carrier there. A guy that could also play second row would be a bonus. Fonua would appear to fit the bill alright, absolutely huge man and cracking ball carrier.

I notice he hasn't featured much at all for Leicester though, any reason for this? Has he been injured a lot?

Broke his (same) arm twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

b.gud wrote: »
    Some t-shirts, polos and training tops here http://www.lifestylesports.com/icat/connachtrugbyallconnacht

those Jerseys really would be lovely if not for the left aligned, bolded, underlined logo designed by a 3 year old with MS word..
    LIFE
    STYLE
    SPORTS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Agree that's why I think one big marquee signing for both Aly and Naoupu would be wiser than splitting the money.

Once again "he" or "it", this beast would be absolutely perfect

1) he played in both France and England, good for Champions Cup
    2) 28-29 years old
    3) he played both 2nd and back-row
    4) he's out of contract with Leicester
    5) he'd bring the last element we miss IMO, here's what I call a ball-carrier who gains ground in contact

Fonua has been injured most of the season, has big problems with his fitness but would be a good signing all the same, be great to have a player like that who can make easy metres. Another alternative in the same mould would be Vosawai from Cardiff and probably a lot cheaper.

However, I have a feeling we won't be permitted another NIQ despite the fact we're under the level. The best we'll end up with is probably a Dominic Ryan type signing.

Could be one or 2 fringe Leinster lads coming our way, neither of which will improve us. They won't be Pat's signings, Nucifora is getting heavily involved in transfer movement.

those Jerseys really would be lovely if not for the left aligned, bolded, underlined logo designed by a 3 year old with MS word..
    LIFE
    STYLE
    SPORTS

I haven't bought a jersey since Mazda were the main sponsors for that exact reason. I keep hoping they'll sort it out but it doesn't look like it's ever gonna happen. :(

Fonua has been injured most of the season, has big problems with his fitness but would be a good signing all the same, be great to have a player like that who can make easy metres. Another alternative in the same mould would be Vosawai from Cardiff and probably a lot cheaper.

However, I have a feeling we won't be permitted another NIQ despite the fact we're under the level. The best we'll end up with is probably a Dominic Ryan type signing.

Could be one or 2 fringe Leinster lads coming our way, neither of which will improve us. They won't be Pat's signings, Nucifora is getting heavily involved in transfer movement.

Yeah I think the IRFU is really pushing IQ locks especially considering the national team is struggling there are the minute. Nagle to Leinster and Treadwell to Ulster kind of lends credence to that.

I really like Dominic Ryan. Vosawai could be worse too. But they can't cover 2nd row. Opeti's injuries were just broken arm, nothing worrying on the long term. Fitness for him is just maintaining under 130K...:P

Yeah I think the IRFU is really pushing IQ locks especially considering the national team is struggling there are the minute. Nagle to Leinster and Treadwell to Ulster kind of lends credence to that.

If we do want a lock and not a guy covering n°8 at the same time, there are Sexton and Sheriff from relegated London Irish. No need for NIQ

I haven't bought a jersey since Mazda were the main sponsors for that exact reason. I keep hoping they'll sort it out but it doesn't look like it's ever gonna happen. :(

Lifestyle aren't title sponsor next year I think. That's why all the gear is on sale so early

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement