Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Darren O'Shea signed for Munster and we have plenty depth at lock as it is. That would have been an ideal signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Darren O'Shea signed for Munster and we have plenty depth at lock as it is. That would have been an ideal signing.

Very very young. For Champions Cup, Sheriff would add his own experience of having played it with Saracens. Would be very happy to have him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

connachta wrote: »
    I really like Dominic Ryan.

Ryan would be OK for squad depth but I don't think he's any better than some of our young backrowers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Ryan would be OK for squad depth but I don't think he's any better than some of our young backrowers.
    He's very experienced and very frustrated with his game time at Leinster. He could well be a valuable addition to Connacht. He's pretty mobile and would be no stranger to the kind of rugby that Connacht play. I first saw him playing for Gonzaga SCT and he was electric. He's young enough to get back to that kind of game with relish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

He's very experienced and very frustrated with his game time at Leinster. He could well be a valuable addition to Connacht. He's pretty mobile and would be no stranger to the kind of rugby that Connacht play. I first saw him playing for Gonzaga SCT and he was electric. He's young enough to get back to that kind of game with relish.

But would he even be happy to move if he may end up in a similar situation to what he's in at Leinster? Muldoon, SOB II, Masterson, McKeon, Heenan, Fox-Matamua and Connolly are all quality back rows and with an excellent age profile(none of them are even near 30 except Muldoon).

I rate Ryan as a player but I think Ulster may be the smartest move for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

To be honest he is not going to get ahead of either Heenan or Fox-Matamua at 7 nor Muldoon at 6 and would be in a right tussle for back up with SOB2.0 such has been his season. I would also prefer to see Connolly get gametime over him as I feel he has a higher ceiling.

I've no problem with coming over per say but, at least in the beginning, thats the pecking order I would see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I can't see the benefit of signing another back row - it's the position we're most stocked in. We have seven back rows already as listed by Bazzo and I rate all of them. Browne can cover the back row as well so that's eight. Ryan might get ahead of one or two of them (Browne and Connolly perhaps) but he won't get much more game time at Connacht than he would at Leinster and the money could be better spent on a position where we are not as well stocked.

Looking at the squad for next season there's a good spread of talent and depth around the field but I'd be concerned if Tom was to get injured for any serious length of time. So maybe an experienced but inexpensive journeyman hooker could be worth signing as cover. As already mentioned the other position where we look short is the second row - a quality signing there must be the first priority.

Interesting about the Leinster players but I don't see much in their squad away from their regulars that would add anything other than depth to Connacht. I'd take Mick Kearney back but that's just not going to happen. I presume we wouldn't get Molony out of the academy for a couple of years either. I'd be worried they might send us the likes of O'Shea, Reid and Marsh and we'd be forced to give them game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

I think it will be two of Bent, Reid and Dominic Ryan

As I said, it won't be on Pat's say so, I'd say he'd prefer to recruit elsewhere, bring in an NIQ or trust the academy, but it's Nucifora who's pulling the strings on this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I think it will be two of Bent, Reid and Dominic Ryan

As I said, it won't be on Pat's say so, I'd say he'd prefer to recruit elsewhere, bring in an NIQ or trust the academy, but it's Nucifora who's pulling the strings on this one

Reid is a bit of a turnstile in defence from what I've seen, he wouldn't offer anything better than what we have in Aki, Ronaldson, Robb, Parata, McSharry (if fit). He'd be more likely to get a game in Munster.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Reid is a bit of a turnstile in defence from what I've seen, he wouldn't offer anything better than what we have in Aki, Ronaldson, Robb, Parata, McSharry (if fit). He'd be more likely to get a game in Munster.

Griffin is also coming back and Conor Finn will hopefully get an injury free run next season.

I'm inclined to believe you porterbelly because you're usually spot on but I honestly don't see the sense in Ryan and Reid coming to Connacht rather than Ulster and Munster respectively.

Bent may be a useful squad option if White and or Bealham and dare I say Buckley are away with the national side or injured, he may even get ahead of Loughney at LH.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Wouldn't mind Bent. It would be good to have a back up for Buckley. The thought of Loughney starting in the Champions cup doesn't fill me with confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster have already signed Arnold. We don't need Reid either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Did anyone else park in Wellpark on Saturday? My brother parked in the underground and got clamped! We never had a problem before. Loads of cars clamped, and loads parked illegally which they couldn't clamp. Is it bad form from the G? There f all places to park really.

I hope he doesn't read Boards, he'll feel awfully unloved!
    macslash wrote: »
    Did anyone else park in Wellpark on Saturday? My brother parked in the underground and got clamped! We never had a problem before. Loads of cars clamped, and loads parked illegally which they couldn't clamp. Is it bad form from the G? There f all places to park really.

In fairness they have signs up and have been clamping there during games for a good while now, only started clamping downstairs this season but if you park there you are running a risk. I've started parking elsewhere now when I do take the car.

Yes, I'd be happy with Dom Ryan as long term solution for Muldoon, and Bent as we're short for LH props. Reid wouldn't be used : Ronaldson, Robb, Aki, mcSharry, Finn, even Leader can play 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I got done there a few years ago, have never gone near it again for a Connacht game.
    I was parked in the open air at the time. When I got back the clamper said he watched me head straight out of Wellpark to the game (I did have hat, etc so it was kinda obvious).
    Tried to say I went around the front to the G and had a drink there but he was having none of it.
    I think it was a big game too that they aimed it at - that's if he was a legit clamper at all and not some fly by night scam artist.

Edit: I wonder if you bought a cinema ticket for the time of the game could that protect you?

Anyway, I always use a secret location that will remain nameless, 15 min stroll from car to ground, no clamping or traffic to contend with.

I usually get a train or bus up or else park at a friend's and stay overnight but on the couple of occassions I've driven up and back for a match I park in Radisson/coach station's car park. It's like 5 mins to the sportsground and the price isn't anything mental. I get there good and early though so have never had a problem getting a space but it might fill up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

On the whole ground discussion... I have it covered lads, I just need to win the euromillions 1st

Bazzo wrote: »
    Griffin is also coming back and Conor Finn will hopefully get an injury free run next season.

I'm inclined to believe you porterbelly because you're usually spot on but I honestly don't see the sense in Ryan and Reid coming to Connacht rather than Ulster and Munster respectively.

Bent may be a useful squad option if White and or Bealham and dare I say Buckley are away with the national side or injured, he may even get ahead of Loughney at LH.

I agree as well, there is no real logic behind it, I wouldn't want any of the 3 and I'm sure Pat wouldn't be best pleased. but afaik his hands are tied. I really hope we can recruit elsewhere.

Nucifora is going be getting a lot more hands on, one area being transfers. He's also going to be calling the shots in Munster until they get their act together off the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

They have been doing that for a long time now. Especially caused them trouble when Connacht were playing games on Saturday afternoons. (The last home game is against Glasgow at 3pm so I would recommend everyone to stay away from that car park.)
    So it's understandable that they have to do that.
    There are signs everywhere though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

eezipc wrote: »
    They have been doing that for a long time now. Especially caused them trouble when Connacht were playing games on Saturday afternoons. (The last home game is against Glasgow at 3pm so I would recommend everyone to stay away from that car park.)
    So it's understandable that they have to do that.
    There are signs everywhere though.

There are usually plenty of spaces up in the mervue industrial estate, it's only a little bit further up the road from Wellpark and might be easier to get home depending on where you're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Good day with Heenan & Ronaldson confirmed sticking around. Have parked in wellpark before but not in a while. Used to park downstairs and cover any connacht gear and go through the car park entrance to the cinema. Will probably just give it a miss from now on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Will the dogs move?
    No as they struggle enough as it is in terms of attendance. They wouldn't survive by moving out of the city centre.
    As far as I'm aware, and correct me if I'm wrong, the dogs (IGB) don't own the SG, they also have a lease on it from the owners, so the only killing they are making is on the bar and food concession in the main stand, they're not renting to Connacht Rugby. You're right on the other points, there is no way they will move and why would they? The extension to the Clan should be expedited to increase capacity and provide a seated option for fans, many people can't go because they are unable to stand for that long, or can't get a good view.
    Dogs don't own SG. The seated option on extension to clan as well as something that could provide cover at college road and bohermore ends of ground is needed as the amount of times ive been asked while working at games by people where are our seats is unbelievable....
    Thornley doesn't let facts get in the way of his word count.

For what it's worth I'd love to see the Sportground knocked and started from scratch in a more cohesive manner.
    A municipal stadium for Galway that could hold ALL sports, Rugby GAA, Soccer and even the dogs as well.
    It's a prime location and should be used as often as possible. That way Galway will get the most out of it.

I would hope the Rugby World Cup would open the door to this.
    Where would you get this municipal stadium as a razed sportsground wouldn't hold all and Connacht would be bonkers to move from a city centre location and

when Muldoon has his 300th cap, I do want Dom Ryan
    https://gfycat.com/SolidPlushImperialeagle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Dogs don't own SG. The seated option on extension to clan as well as something that could provide cover at college road and bohermore ends of ground is needed as the amount of times ive been asked while working at games by people where are our seats is unbelievable....

Any covered seating/terracing is a no go surely as would obstruct view of the dog track
    Building upper tier from Clan Terrace if they'd funds makes sense -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Any covered seating/terracing is a no go surely as would obstruct view of the dog track
    Building upper tier from Clan Terrace if they'd funds makes sense -
    But is a temporary or virtually permanent structure that can fold down at each end could certainly be looked at could it not. I know fully well about covered seating and impacting the viewing of the dog track from the grand stand. But there is some terracing at each end and extra seating terracing that could fold up/down for rugby games and also allow racing go ahead for viewing the track for people in the grandstand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Was thinking about this recently. Any pitch down by the docs doesn't not necessarily have to be very expensive. You could start by putting the pitch in place and building some terreacing around it and a club house. You could then put in temporary seating as required like they have in the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Taken from Rob Murphys twitter.

Connacht 23 injured/non selected last weekend

15 TOH
    14 Poolman
    13 McSharry
    12 Ronaldson
    11 Parata
    10 McGinty
    9 Blade
    8 Masterson
    7 Fox Matamua
    6 Heenan
    5 Marshall
    4 Roux
    3 White
    2 Heffernan
    1 O'Donnell

16 Delahunt
    17 Ah You
    18 Meunargia
    19 Qualter
    20 Naoupu
    21 Porter
    22 McKeon
    23 Leader

I would feel fairly confident about that squad beating a lot of teams at home. Amazing how much strength in depth Connacht have gained over the last couple of years.

Was thinking about this recently. Any pitch down by the docs doesn't not necessarily have to be very expensive. You could start by putting the pitch in place and building some terreacing around it and a club house. You could then put in temporary seating as required like they have in the RDS.

There is no parcel of land in that area large enough to build a stadium. The only way to do it would be to incorporate it into the proposed new dock extension, but those plans are already drawn up and wouldn't have space for a stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Edit: I wonder if you bought a cinema ticket for the time of the game could that protect you?

Anyway, I always use a secret location that will remain nameless, 15 min stroll from car to ground, no clamping or traffic to contend with.

Ya my sister parked further up the road in a nice big carpark - she was the only one there! Will be going there any more!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Bazzo wrote: »
    I haven't bought a jersey since Mazda were the main sponsors for that exact reason. I keep hoping they'll sort it out but it doesn't look like it's ever gonna happen. :(

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Sit tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Really think Ulster will beat Leinster at home. Connacht have a great chance to finish top if we beat Glasgow and with a few players returning from injury, it should look good for us.
    If we finish top, great for champions cop seeding in the pool next season. Avoid some top teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Stan27 wrote: »
    If we finish top, great for champions cop seeding in the pool next season. Avoid some top teams

Seeding is decided by where you finish in the play-offs.
    If we top the league but get beaten in the semi-final by the losing finalist we will be 4th seeds.

Guaranteed top seed if we win, and 2/3 chance of top seed if beaten finalist.
    1/3 chance of second seed if beaten finalist or guaranteed if we lose semi to eventual winner.

Top two is the key and win the home semi. I suppose facing the 4th seeds would be preferable but we won't be sure who that is until after the final round.

Stan27 wrote: »
    Really think Ulster will beat Leinster at home. Connacht have a great chance to finish top if we beat Glasgow and with a few players returning from injury, it should look good for us.

Seedings are based on how you do in the Knockouts not where you finish in the league, so if we finished 4th in the league but won the tournament we'd be seeded 1st. Similarly if we top the league but get knocked out in the semi we would be seeded 3rd (2nd goes to the runner up and 4th goes to the other team that lost in the semi final as they finished lower than us)

See the seedings for this years cup as an example. Notice that Toulon are 3rd seeds in France even though they topped the Top 14 league last year. Stade Français are the top seeds even though they finished 4th in the league.

*Disclaimer given how often the EPCR like to change the rules, everything you read above could be null and void, though afaik this element has not changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

b.gud wrote: »
    Similarly if we top the league but get knocked out in the semi we would be seeded 3rd (2nd goes to the runner up and 4th goes to the other team that lost in the semi final as they finished lower than us)

That's interesting.
    I picked up differently.
    This makes more sense and would be preferable from our point of view.

connachta wrote: »
    Yes, I'd be happy with Dom Ryan as long term solution for Muldoon, and Bent as we're short for LH props. Reid wouldn't be used : Ronaldson, Robb, Aki, mcSharry, Finn, even Leader can play 12.

Don't think it will be Ryan now

Kiwi second row to replace Muldowney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Go on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Don't think it will be Ryan now

Kiwi second row to replace Muldowney

Retallick - Dillane partnership confirmed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hayden Triggs looks a little bit like Retallick

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

b.gud wrote: »
    Seedings are based on how you do in the Knockouts not where you finish in the league, so if we finished 4th in the league but won the tournament we'd be seeded 1st. Similarly if we top the league but get knocked out in the semi we would be seeded 3rd (2nd goes to the runner up and 4th goes to the other team that lost in the semi final as they finished lower than us)

See the seedings for this years cup as an example. Notice that Toulon are 3rd seeds in France even though they topped the Top 14 league last year. Stade Français are the top seeds even though they finished 4th in the league.

*Disclaimer given how often the EPCR like to change the rules, everything you read above could be null and void, though afaik this element has not changed

Ok thanks. I thought it went on league position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Romano is off contract this year I think.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Romano is off contract this year I think.

That would be a huge coup. I think Charles Bronson Hayden Triggs is a lot more likely.

Romano is rumoured to be off to Toulon, doubt we'll compete with them

Romano is rumoured to be off to Toulon, doubt we'll compete with them

Maybe Pat McDonagh has taken notice of the meteoric rise and stepped in with a blank cheque book :pac:

• Advertisement

Going by Lam getting young(ish) no-names from NZ like Heenan, Clarke, Ah You and Aki, it may be the same with the lock. There's a few floating around. Reddish, Barrett, Wheeler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I saw Hayden Triggs tucking into a Cod and Chips outside Leo Burdocks in Howth last month so he obviously likes seafood.

That's interesting.
    I picked up differently.
    This makes more sense and would be preferable from our point of view.

You could be right, this was my interpretation of it.

To be honest it's about as clear as mud how 2nd/3rd/4th seeds are decide the only definite thing is that the winner of the final is def 1st seed

Going by Lam getting young(ish) no-names from NZ like Heenan, Clarke, Ah You and Aki, it may be the same with the lock. There's a few floating around. Reddish, Barrett, Wheeler.

Well it isn't Tuipolotu. He just re-signed to NZ till 2019. And Ainley is a bit old. It could be one already in Europe like Thrush or Hoeata.

And all kiwis love seafood. It's compulsory :D

Well it isn't Tuipolotu. He just re-signed to NZ till 2019. And Ainley is a bit old. It could be one already in Europe like Thrush or Hoeata.

And all kiwis love seafood. It's compulsory :D

Hoeat has one more year with Cardiff to do

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement