Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

White won't be back this weekend either. I nominate Bealham to start on both sides of the scrum at once. Otherwise it looks like Big Rod might have his early summer holiday interrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Very disappointing for Buckley both for Connacht and himself, a few more big performances might have forced Schmidt''s hand.

Himself & Masterson really deserved to be a part of the playoffs.

Hopefully Aki & White can make it back for Glasgow. Ronaldson too, guessing from the omission from Linley''s tweet he's still unavailable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Robbo wrote: »
    White won't be back this weekend either. I nominate Bealham to start on both sides of the scrum at once. Otherwise it looks like Big Rod might have his early summer holiday interrupted.

Did he not start that in February?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Zzippy wrote: »
    Did he not start that in February?
    Not long after the ink was dry by my estimation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bkqwerty

When is White due back? Think I'd prefer virtually anyone ahead of Rodney at this stage. Was up in Belfast for the Ulster game and thought he was a disgrace to the shirt that night. Would only use him as a last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Terrible news for Denis. Happens to get injured just before the 6 nations and now the SA tour. There was a stat of our how our slump this year coincided with his injury. And it seems Nathan won't be back either so we will be very 'thin' on the ground in the front row (never mind the replacements).

Will be interesting to see who takes over at 10 for the Treviso game. Both AJ and Jack back from injury. Its a harsh game but I can't see Shane involved and I'd suggest whoever gets picked to start at 10 will be expected to do so also against Glasgow. So I would be backing AJ on his recent form.

There is no mention of a return by Craig and with Bundee out it looks like it must be Robbie and Peter probably with Parata on the bench. Then you have Niyi, TOH, and Matt as the back 3.

Its not ideal but we were looking weak (not as weak) in the front row against Munster. Second row and back row look good (the return of Heenan) strengthens that.

So overall other than a weakened front row we have decent cover in all other areas.

Do hope Bundee will be back for Glasgow. He really should have been replaced at the time of injury as he was only doing himself further harm from that point onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I'd go with Loughney and O'Donnell and Bealham and JP Cooney. Rodney has shown where his head is 8n 2 games and not worth the risk. Would be valuable experience for O'Donnell and Cooney in the last 15-20 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Obviously two massive blows with Buckley out for season and Bundee most likely out until play offs

Atleast we can get TOH back at FB and Robbie and Robb to finally get a run together in the centre
    I'd start Carty aswell ahead of AJ
    Probably harsh to drop SOL who did his role well but with so much to play for we got to play our strongest hand

I'm thinking Loughney to start at LH and Bealham to stay at TH? Conan and JP on bench?

Rodney was shocking vs Edinburgh and Ulster and don't want him near the 23

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Obviously two massive blows with Buckley out for season and Bundee most likely out until play offs

Atleast we can get TOH back at FB and Robbie and Robb to finally get a run together in the centre
    I'd start Carty aswell ahead of AJ
    Probably harsh to drop SOL who did his role well but with so much to play for we got to play our strongest hand

I'm thinking Loughney to start at LH and Bealham to stay at TH? Conan and JP on bench?

Rodney was shocking vs Edinburgh and Ulster and don't want him near the 23

Before the injury update I was thinking that SOL to start and Carty to get the 2nd half would be the way to go assuming that SOL is staying around, we could very easily be calling on him next season and he has shown improvement in every game he's played and given it's only Treviso there's no harm having a bit of an eye on next year, similar to potentially having Conan on the bench. With AJ back fit I'm not quite so sure what the best thing to do is

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    Before the injury update I was thinking that SOL to start and Carty to get the 2nd half would be the way to go assuming that SOL is staying around, we could very easily be calling on him next season and he has shown improvement in every game he's played and given it's only Treviso there's no harm having a bit of an eye on next year, similar to potentially having Conan on the bench. With AJ back fit I'm not quite so sure what the best thing to do is

Yes usually at this end of the season I'd agree to have one eye on next season
    But this season we gotta be ruthless
    Carty start and either AJ or Craig (if fit) at 22 for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Bazzo wrote: »

Wow! I'd say a bit of that has to do with STHs, yours truly included, who waited til now to order the 2 free tickets. They're going to a good home and will be used by a couple of raucous Connacht fans, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Well O'Connell isn't even 20.. I'd still go with Loughney/J.P Cooney and Bealham/AhYou, waiting for White against Glasgow

HOPE IS STILL THERE!!!

Aki, whose blitzkrieg performances have typified Connacht s best ever season, is also ruled out of the trip to Treviso with Lam hoping that he might recover for the Glasgow game as he battles to recover from a knee injury.
    He is definitely unavailable for Treviso this week, and he will continue his progress under supervision of the medical and fitness teams. So at this stage, hopeful for the Glasgow game, said Lam.

Buckley was injured in training on Friday and might not feature against this season, although Lam remains hopeful that the Roscommon native might again be back ahead of schedule from injury.
    We are talking, looking ahead realistically there is semi-finals, four weeks away, and final is five weeks away. Denis has always been miraculous with his recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

If you guys beat Glasgow without Buckley and Aki, I will doff my hat.

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »
    Well O'Connell isn't even 20.. I'd still go with Loughney/J.P Cooney and Bealham/AhYou, waiting for White against Glasgow
    I wouldn't be surprised if every caution will be taken with Nathan. He was in a very bad way when concussed. It may even be possible we may not see him again this season. If such were the case we will be really down to our bare bones but even so I also object to Rodney pulling on the Connacht jersey again. We want our best available players and my rating on the rodney bond is sell, sell,sell!

I'll hold out hope for Aki but it's hard to see Buckley coming back from an ankle fracture in less than a month.

Following his two latest performances Rodney can't be trusted - I'd go O'Donnell

I wouldn't be surprised if every caution will be taken with Nathan. He was in a very bad way when concussed. It may even be possible we may not see him again this season. If such were the case we will be really down to our bare bones but even so I also object to Rodney pulling on the Connacht jersey again. We want our best available players and my rating on the rodney bond is sell, sell,sell!
    No we just can't afford not to have White for Glasgow and play-off. Simple as.
    If this horror scenario still happens, I wonder if IRFU can allow us a medical joker from the only province not involved against us for final phase i.e Munster...

Following his two latest performances Rodney can't be trusted - I'd go O'Connell
    Saba's here too... Anyway biggest moment in his career for J.P Cooney...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

No we just can't afford not to have White for Glasgow and play-off. Simple as.
    If this horror scenario still happens, I wonder if IRFU can allow us a medical joker from the only province not involved against us for final phase i.e Munster...

Not allowed to sign a medical joker from Munster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

connachta wrote:
    No we just can't afford not to have White for Glasgow and play-off. Simple as. If this horror scenario would happen, I wonder if IRFU can allow us a medical joker from the only province not involved against us for final phase i.e Munster...

I know this in jest but still. More chance of Rodney filling in at fullback next week than that happening

freyners wrote: »
    connachta wrote:
    No we just can't afford not to have White for Glasgow and play-off. Simple as. If this horror scenario would happen, I wonder if IRFU can allow us a medical joker from the only province not involved against us for final phase i.e Munster...

I know this in jest but still. More chance of Rodney filling in at fullback next week than that happening
    Some evil spirits here would say he'd do better as FB...

Some evil spirits here would say he'd do better as FB...

Might be the place for him. At least there he won't be as likely to tackle his own teammates......

Bazzo wrote: »
    I'll hold out hope for Aki but it's hard to see Buckley coming back from an ankle fracture in less than a month.
    Well final is in 5 weeks, minor ankle fracture is 6-week recovery time, and Buckley is Wolwerine. Slim chance remains!

Well I wonder if JP doesn't deserve a start ahead of Loughney, in Italy
    Bealham/lough for LH
    J.P/AhYou (or O'Donnell) for TH

If it was anyone but the Italians I'd 100% agree with you. As it is I don't disagree with you I just think there is benefit to be had from giving SOL gametime.

Hope that last sentence made sense it feels a bit was ouncer-esq :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

As it is I don't disagree with you I just think there is benefit to be had from giving SOL gametime.

It is a tough call but this just feels right to me.
    He's on a good trajectory now, a game with a bit more space and less pressure could be really beneficial to him.

O'Connell seems well able for it on the evidence from this season. I'd be happy with just parity in the scrum, we can beat them elsewhere on the pitch.

Guys his name is O'Donnell :P Conan O'Donnell.

• Advertisement

If it was anyone but the Italians I'd 100% agree with you. As it is I don't disagree with you I just think there is benefit to be had from giving SOL gametime.

I get you. I really do.
    And I feel like an absolute wanker saying it cause it is just Treviso but id still start Jack with AJ on bench..
    I know AJ gone next year, but rather them two lads get their form up than our 4th choice fly-half
    And I say this as someone who, while unimpressed with Shane's outing in Ravenhill, thought he more than held his own vs Grenoble and Munster and will be a great squad option for us next season (assuming he is staying)

Yeah McGinty & Carty for me too. O'Leary has done really well and deserves a new deal. Would expect him to take over as third outhalf next season and he will definitely get opportunities to push on but right now with 3 or maybe 4 games left McGinty and Carty both need gametime. Barring injury, I don't think O'Leary will be in the 23 for Glasgow and the semi final so whilst it would be a just reward for his performances to stay involved this week, Connacht need to get the other two up to speed quickly which should take priority.

Both jack and AJ are going to be our primary 10s for the run-in. Both are back from injury and need game time before the crunch game against Glasgow. It serves no purpose to play Shane as he is unlikely to have any other involvement this season. Now that's a heartless statement but I think its reasonably grounded in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

It's been a bad day for me as a Connacht supporter:

1) Aki and Buckley injured;

2) Went to buy my Glasgow ticket....sold out; and

3) Went to buy my Clan Terrace ST for next season.....sold out.

Happy Monday everyone!

S12b wrote: »
    It's been a bad day for me as a Connacht supporter:

1) Aki and Buckley injured;

2) Went to buy my Glasgow ticket....sold out; and

3) Went to buy my Clan Terrace ST for next season.....sold out.

Happy Monday everyone!

Main Stand. Come to the Dark Side, Luke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The craic in the 15 minute queue to the jacks in the main stand is what keeps the fans coming back for more. Unless you're a lady in which case you're in and out in a solemn minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The craic in the 15 minute queue to the jacks in the main stand is what keeps the fans coming back for more. Unless you're a lady in which case you're in and out in a solemn minute.

bring a wig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Tis far from portable pissbags we were reared

• Advertisement

This might be of interest to any of ye who are based in Galway, tickets are free and Brian O'Driscoll will be there plus they are due to announce more people

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/724710746639208448

Denis Buckley and Eoghan Masterson are both good talkers, hopefully they get them on, be a good interview

Denis Buckley and Eoghan Masterson are both good talkers, hopefully they get them on, be a good interview

Was thinking we might see Buckley given he is currently injured forgot Masterson would be a good option too.

Hopefully we won't see Aki because he'll be back fit and prepping for the Glasgow game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The Clan sold out crazily quickly for next season. Luckily I renewed in time.

There is no indication that Craig will be available. So then its jack or AJ. And I would pick AJ every time. First to say jack has definitively improved. His place kicking is better than AJs. Before becoming injured his positional kicking has been really good. Now to my biggest problem with jack (and the same applies to shane even more so). Jack simply offloads across the line too much without seeing the dangers of the upcoming line or indeed the opportunities to break the gain line.

I can see the Glasgow game as a right humdinger. I expect lots of fast open rugby. But with fast open rugby there are times where sense has to prevail andthe ball is brought into contact and gain lines are broken through the middle. For that AJ is clearly the best of the 3 outhalfs IMO. So I would be very disappointed if AJ doesn't take centre stage til the end of the year.

Pat has always shown a lot of faith in Carty and I think you're being a little unfair saying that he's much more likely to shovel the ball on than AJ is.

I can distinctly remember him taking the ball on himself and breaking the line to go 20 or 30 metres down the pitch on at least 2 or 3 occasions this season. All of our out halves are very young so I don't expect their decision making to be amazing but they've all improved hugely even just over the space of the season. I honestly don't think there's much between AJ and Carty, I'd probably have Jack shading it. I think Lam will continue to put his faith in him and have him back in the driving seat to see out the season.

• Advertisement

When was I not harsh bazzo. In jacks absence I thought aj surpassed him. And his inclusion also has seen a great run of results. So I agree its a tight call but my vote goes to aj.I like his style of play. He's a more physical player and retains possession well. And Connacht's style of play is ball retention. In years past it was ball retention going backwards until the ball had to be hoofed away. These days its ball retention with ball brought into contact and then the immediate offload (example bealham to niyi for a try against Munster). Two years ago that ball would have gone to ground, lines would have been set and lateral movement ensued.

Its why I don't get the media rubbish about Connacht. Yes we move the ball (from 1 to 15) and it looks a bit mental. But it simply isn't. We also know when to take ball into contact. The difference these days is the ball is recycled immediately. That leads to dangers of potential interceptions so we leak tries. But we score more than we leak in this style of play hence we are successful.

It totally differentiates us from all other provinces (particularly Leinster and Munster) who simply try to flog you to death with boring slow play and try and physically beat you into the ground.

All this though comes back to my OPINION. AJ presses the line better and allows this type of offloading game as compared to jack which is more lateral and ineffective

AJ attacks the line better than Jack and is more physical going through a tackle. I'd prefer AJ over Jack as he looked a bit unfit against Munster when he came on.

Carty is bound to be a bit off the pace after a few months out. He'll be up to speed by the time of the Glasgow game. I thought he arguably had his best performance of his career against Scarlets before the injury, hopefully he gets back to that quickly. AJ was really impressive too before his injury. Good to have options

Had a flash this morning, remembered McCartney "can play at both hooker and prop and previously played under Connacht coach Pat Lam at Auckland."

Audacious but why not

issues :
    Hadn't played there for Connacht apart from 10 minutes against Zebre in his first game in Green
    Useless if White is back for Glasgow (Bealham switch to LH)
    Would sacrifice his talent by putting him on the bench.

Advantages
    Gives JHW his chance, looked good against Munster and is a turnover machine as Buckley would have been
    McCartney can come in for Loughney at the same time as Heffernan for JHW, meaning the latter can focus on open play with Tom throwing for lineouts
    Would rest him for the first time since January by putting him on the bench.
    He his 112 kg, best weight for a LH
    Bealham can be kept as TH, Cooney is backup, and no Ah You/O'Donnell needed in the 23

Had a flash this morning, remembered McCartney "can play at both hooker and prop and previously played under Connacht coach Pat Lam at Auckland."

Audacious but why not

issues :
    Hadn't played there for Connacht apart from 10 minutes against Zebre in his first game in Green
    Useless if White is back for Glasgow (Bealham switch to LH)
    Would sacrifice his talent by putting him on the bench.

Advantages
    Gives JHW his chance, looked good against Munster and is a turnover machine as Buckley would have been
    McCartney can come in for Loughney at the same time as Heffernan for JHW, meaning the latter can focus on open play with Tom throwing for lineouts
    Would rest him for the first time since January by putting him on the bench.
    He his 112 kg, best weight for a LH
    Bealham can be kept as TH, Cooney is backup, and no Ah You/O'Donnell needed in the 23

Just no. O'Donnell is well able to be trusted with the job, what does it say to a young upcoming prop to pick a hooker ahead of him? Awful way to treat players, not to mind McCartney hasn't propped in years, nor trained for it. One of your more ridiculous suggestions.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement