Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

wp_rathead wrote: »
    100%
    He actually started of this season really well but then got injured
    Hopefully he finds a club in England or France (hell even one of the two Italian sides)

He almost scored at the death but for a tap tackle in the Grenoble game so he looks sharp.

For the toulouse away game alone he will always be a legend in my book, not to mention his heroics before that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

connachta wrote: »
    Well I'm puzzeled by Lam's team. It could cost us the win. Treviso spent the last two months preparing this. Can't wait to see Robb/Parata and THAT back-row in action though

It's not puzzling to me. The current form of both sides means the BP will probably be wrapped up after 50 minutes. I don't buy the 'two months preparing for this' argument, you don't go out to get deliberately hammered in three games straight. There's also a lot of starters in that injury list. It cannot cost a win as there is a very strong bench to come to save the day if needs be. The full team will play against Glasgow and then get a rest before (hopefully!) two playoff games.
    Think you overestimate the gap between us and the Italians. I remember we were in serious danger after 60 minutes in Parma (Zebre).
    I'm not confident about our scrum (AhYou/Loughney) our half-backs (Carty-Cooney), our lineout without Dillane/Aly, and our wingers for the defensive duties (Carr/Niyi). the point is it should be a high-scoring game, and if it bounces the wrong way, with a few more handling errors and soft tries conceeded, the bench could come in too late

freyners wrote: »
    100%
    Hopefully he finds a club in England or France (hell even one of the two Italian sides)

He almost scored at the death but for a tap tackle in the Grenoble game so he looks sharp.

For the toulouse away game alone he will always be a legend in my book, not to mention his heroics before that
    Yeah was in the stadium, the game would have been horribly different if he hadn't saved our line after barely 4 minutes played

freyners wrote: »
    100%

Yeah was in the stadium, the game would have been horribly different if he hadn't saved our line after barely 4 minutes played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Think you overestimate the gap between us and the Italians. I remember we were in serious danger after 60 minutes in Parma (Zebre).
    I'm not confident about our scrum (AhYou/Loughney) our half-backs (Carty-Cooney), our lineout without Dillane/Aly, and our wingers for the defensive duties (Carr/Niyi). the point is it should be a high-scoring game, and if it bounces the wrong way, with a few more handling errors and soft tries conceeded, the bench could come in too late

I know you like to be a glass half-empty poster on here but Treviso haven't a prayer in this. Connacht will put at least 40 on them. Now if Connacht also rested the players from the bench then maybe there would be a cause for concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭KBurke85

You sir are the most negative connacht fan I have ever come across

KBurke85 wrote: »

But it makes me much happier than anyone when we win :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Zzippy wrote: »
    Noooooo Highly logical, I expect the worse, so I'm happily surprised when anything else happens. So, you can guess how extatic I am this season :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

If anyone seriously believes that Treviso have a chance, they can more than quadruple their money with Paddy Power. Treviso are 9/2, in a two-horse race.

I don't think anyone really believes they have a chance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Noooooo Highly logical, I expect the worse, so I'm happily surprised when anything else happens. So, you can guess how extatic I am this season :D

Nothing logical about claiming Treviso have been targetting us for two months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

KBurke85 wrote: »

That's a big claim :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

its_phil wrote: »
    Nothing logical about claiming Treviso have been targetting us for two months.

They're waiting in the long grass, don't ya know... ;)

If anyone seriously believes that Treviso have a chance, they can more than quadruple their money with Paddy Power. Treviso are 9/2, in a two-horse race.

I don't think anyone really believes they have a chance though.
    If there was "a Treviso in the lead after 50 min" possibility, I could go for it...
    Hope we'll be safe before this of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

If there was "a Treviso in the lead after 50 min" possibility, I could go for it...
    Hope we'll be safe before this of course...

Treviso to lead at half time and Connacht to win is 11/2. Quadruple your money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Lol the odds on try scorers tomorrow are ridiculous. Rodney Ah You to score in 80 mins 5/1?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

If we fielded that team against Munster I would expect us to be trounced. The fact that zebo so easily caught jack shows he's not fully fit and cooney just back from injury as well. I would have preferred to see marmion on the bench just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

To be fair Zebo is very quick and was covering at a good angle.
    I'd agree about having marmion on the bench but I'm sure Pat has seen enough in training to feel Cooney is back sharp and Blade has never let the team down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

If we fielded that team against Munster I would expect us to be trounced. The fact that zebo so easily caught jack shows he's not fully fit and cooney just back from injury as well. I would have preferred to see marmion on the bench just in case.

Well even if he wasn't fully fit then that was 2 weeks ago so I presume that Jack's fitness has picked up a lot since then. Also it's not as if we have no one on the bench that can replace Jack if he runs out of steam, we have a (IMO at least) better out half on the bench ready to come in.

Also I don't think the fact Zebo caught Jack tells us anything other than Zebo is a lot faster than Carty which we probably could have worked out anyway. That run doesn't tell us anything about Carty's fitness or lack of it. Do you really think had he not been injured he would have scorched home for the try?

Well even if he wasn't fully fit then that was 2 weeks ago so I presume that Jack's fitness has picked up a lot since then. Also it's not as if we have no one on the bench that can replace Jack if he runs out of steam, we have a (IMO at least) better out half on the bench ready to come in.

Also I don't think the fact Zebo caught Jack tells us anything other than Zebo is a lot faster than Carty which we probably could have worked out anyway. That run doesn't tell us anything about Carty's fitness or lack of it. Do you really think had he not been injured he would have scorched home for the try?
    What you say is true. Even if Jack was fully fit he wouldnt have got home. It was just the ease with which Zebo made up the ground I thought was a bit of a worry. Treviso may be no great shakes but neither are they a total walkover. It is reassuring that there is a strong bench so if things do go a bit belly-up we should be able to correct it quickly. However I can see Treviso potentially leading the game at half-time. Its not a matter of cup half empty. Its a centre partnership that has never played together (though I have to admit being excited to see how it goes as I believe both players have huge potential) a front row and second row that is far from our strongest and the fitness questions over our 9 and 10. I don't see this game being the forgone conclusion it should be, thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Fans player of the year poll here:

https://poll.fbapp.io/daikvs?from=user_link&ref_id=

Could barely decide between Muldoon and Aki, even Buckley. Went for Bundee just because of that superstar quality now in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

its_phil wrote: »
    Fans player of the year poll here:

https://poll.fbapp.io/daikvs?from=user_link&ref_id=

Could barely decide between Muldoon and Aki, even Buckley. Went for Bundee just because of that superstar quality now in the team.

Muldowney too, and Healy def deserves some plaudits for the season he's had. It's a great dilemma to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

b.gud wrote: »
    Muldowney too, and Healy def deserves some plaudits for the season he's had. It's a great dilemma to have

Muldoon all the way looks like a player reinvigorated and reinvented. Bundee will win plenty of them ;)

All very deserving nominees. I voted for Buckley but there was a hair between himself and Aki for me with Muldoon very close on their heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Insert your Rodney Ah You fitness jokes here

13072924_10153674744293562_5117008689052991901_o.jpg

"****, they have the cameras out. Hold it together Rodney, you can do this. Do. Not. Collapse."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

"Just 5 more minutes, I can do this. Think happy thoughts, that's the job. Mmm, Supermacs..."

Ok a positive point about tonight game for once
    the selected players will be very motivated :

AhYou/Loughney/Cooney fighting for the bench behind Bealham/White
    Roux/Browne fighting for the bench behind Dillane/Muldowney
    Carty/MacGinty fighting for the starting n 10
    Parata/Niyi/Carr/Robb fighting for n 11 and n 23 behind Healy Henshaw and Aki (and to keep Poolman out of the mix if he comes back)

I have my money down and Heenan and toh to touchdown tonight. Gave the 5/1 on Rodney a miss

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Right, here we go. Cula4 if you have it, TG4 player if you don't.

English commentary on GBFM.

Peter Fitzgibbon is our ref and he's looking like Pierluigi Collina has been on the same fitness regine as Rodney.

• Advertisement

great break by Robb but ARGHHH just pop it to Parata

oh Fitzgibbon that looked like it was a maul to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Just saw a Niyi hand off

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Browne's pass about 4 phases before that try. Tekkers.

great try, but I still think that all came from Fitzgibbon giving us a pen when it looked a trademark maul/choke tackle

Good man Parata, fair play.

Cooney kicking instead of Carty? Interesting.

ha the fields going in Treviso, lads been on the sauce all day :D

great lil kick by Jack and finish by Carr, he has started very well

50 burger could be on the cards. Treviso are muck.

That's my Connacht!

• Advertisement

Fair play to Carr, looks like he's up for it today.

What a great way to say goodbye for Fionn,:D

oh, looks like we gonna have ourselves a repeat of the Zebre v Connacht game where it is a Gung-ho tryfest

Jesus that was some miscue from Hayward.

Concentration lads.

Go low Tiernan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

The cavalry may well be needed later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

DJ Otzi's "Hey Baby" blaring surely a sign that these Italians mean business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Really should have been put in touch there. He was right on the touchline.

Feckin' hell, spoke too soon.

Looked easy at 14-0.... Looks a 50:50 game since and worrying.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement