Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Forwards really are second best today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Rodney ah no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

NiallBoo wrote: »
    The penalty try?

Lifting a player in the scrum it's dangerous and illegal. Obvious penalty against treviso.

Missed that. You're correct.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Rodney ah no
    The sooner he's eating soda farls the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

That's some response

• Advertisement

Nice finish by Mimsy.

As soon as we start playing our speed game, bingo. Nice conversion from Cooney as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hon Robb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Cooney isn't a bad kicker at all.
    Carr has been making good breaks all night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Score?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Score?

Tra 19-21 Connacht

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

connachta wrote: »
    Well I'm puzzeled by Lam's team. It could cost us the win. Treviso spent the last two months preparing this. Can't wait to see Robb/Parata and THAT back-row in action though

It's not puzzling to me. The current form of both sides means the BP will probably be wrapped up after 50 minutes. I don't buy the 'two months preparing for this' argument, you don't go out to get deliberately hammered in three games straight. There's also a lot of starters in that injury list. It cannot cost a win as there is a very strong bench to come to save the day if needs be. The full team will play against Glasgow and then get a rest before (hopefully!) two playoff games.
    Think you overestimate the gap between us and the Italians. I remember we were in serious danger after 60 minutes in Parma (Zebre).
    I'm not confident about our scrum (AhYou/Loughney) our half-backs (Carty-Cooney), our lineout without Dillane/Aly, and our wingers for the defensive duties (Carr/Niyi). the point is it should be a high-scoring game, and if it bounces the wrong way, with a few more handling errors and soft tries conceeded, the bench could come in too late
    Well, you all have to admit I was right with that post...

Treviso are knackered now. Time to make this comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

Robbo wrote: »
    Treviso are knackered now. Time to make this comfortable.

I've actually thought we look sluggish enough at times. Error count needs an abacus tonight

How did he not see 15 green?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭westgolf

On a side note what schmuck was responsible for deciding that TG4 would only show our first half before cutting to the munster match ? Follow the table toppers doh !

To be fair treviso have played very very well...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

westgolf wrote: »
    On a side note what schmuck was responsible for deciding that TG4 would only show our first half before cutting to the munster match ? Follow the table toppers doh !

In what should be a foregone conclusion? Versus a seriously important game that isn't? Eh, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Overtime Carr makes a break he has no support. You think at this stage, someone would have figured he might make a break and might need support.

Treviso could get a scrum penalty here and take a shot and win............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

WTF!

• Advertisement

WTF!

Did treviso not drive up in that scrum?

A terrible decision to go wide there. Should have secured the four points.

Countless wasted opportunities today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭coco0981

Why did they run the ball after winning the lineout, there was only 30 seconds left ffs. Keep it tight and kick it out

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

As good as connacht are playing,as good as they are to watch, the unwillingness to play percentage rugby from time to time has just come back to bite them big time.

Jesus. That's a performance from 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Those butchered chances in the second half made the difference. So many handling errors too. Poor Fionn didn't deserve to lose this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Only watched the last 2 minutes but that was crazy stuff at the end. Thrown away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Beaten with the last kick of the game. Like the old days.

Treviso could get a scrum penalty here and take a shot and win............

Spoke to soon.. wow, all that hardwork over the season and to fall at the last hurdle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

That was a shocking performance ffs

Doesn't change much without the BP, we probably would have had to beat Glasgow anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Still in the playoffs though. Didn't realize that.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Poor scrum by Connacht at the end, big call taking off McCartney I reckon. JP seemed to get manhandled as well.

Hope this is just a blip as thought this team had finally turned a corner. Glasgow game now crucial to claim a top 2 finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Ugh.

It doesn't make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things, home semi remains in connachts control. Poor performance, way too many errors and some complacency creeped in I think.

We didn't play that bad. They targetted it and played well. Predicted it could have happened if we were led after H-T. That was the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Peter Robb and Fionn Carr were both brilliant and didn't deserve to be on the losing side
    Dissapointed in Tom McCartney, started pissing off Fitzgibbon which helps no one

Fair play to Treviso though has to be said- but Lam's gamble of not starting Muldoon, Bealham and Muldowney in the pack was very costly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

coco1981 wrote: »
    Why did they run the ball after winning the lineout, there was only 30 seconds left ffs. Keep it tight and kick it out
    Went for all five. Ended up with one. The only thing you can say is that if they ended up with a four point win they were going to need to beat Glasgow to get a home semi final. Now they still need to beat Glasgow to get a home semi final so maybe it was worth the risk. Stupid from Blade to give away the scrum in that part of the field though.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Still in the playoffs though. Didn't realize that.

Yes onwards and upwards. A terrible performance but a well timed kick in the hole. A fantastic achievement to get a semi-final all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

What you say is true. Even if Jack was fully fit he wouldnt have got home. It was just the ease with which Zebo made up the ground I thought was a bit of a worry. Treviso may be no great shakes but neither are they a total walkover. It is reassuring that there is a strong bench so if things do go a bit belly-up we should be able to correct it quickly. However I can see Treviso potentially leading the game at half-time. Its not a matter of cup half empty. Its a centre partnership that has never played together (though I have to admit being excited to see how it goes as I believe both players have huge potential) a front row and second row that is far from our strongest and the fitness questions over our 9 and 10. I don't see this game being the forgone conclusion it should be, thats all.
    and there ya go

Spoke to soon.. wow, all that hardwork over the season and to fall at the last hurdle

How do you mean? Bad performance bad result but nothing really changed. Homi semi dependent on Glasgow game as was always likely to be the case.

• Advertisement

From 14 - 0 up to losing. Crazy stuff.
    Looked at times like players were expecting things to happen instead of makinfb them happen. How many times did Carr make ground only to have no one to pass to. Blade had 2 chances to put players away in space and took the wrong decision and the less we say about that forward pass the better.

And not to be all negative. Play off place secured and still a home semi in our hands. Wouldn't have believed it at the start of the season.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Peter Robb and Fionn Carr were both brilliant and didn't deserve to be on the losing side
    Dissapointed in Tom McCartney, started pissing off Fitzgibbon which helps no one

Fair play to Treviso though has to be said- but Lam's gamble of not starting Muldoon, Bealham and Muldowney in the pack was very costly
    :angel:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

We didn't play that bad. They targetted it and played well. Predicted it could have happened if we were led after H-T. That was the case
    Waaaaaay too many basic elements of play missing for that to be called anything other than playing badly. No matter how well Treviso play their highest level is still well below what any decent team should display.

Loughney and Rodney were both spanked in the scrum, that's a massive worry and it just goes to show you how underappreciated Buckley's scrummaging is.

Knock ons all over the place, on a lovely warm dry evening in Italy, what happened to all the skills that have been on display all season?

Some very iffy decision making.

Continuously letting backs get isolated when they make breaks.

No, not good enough for me, sorry.

Well I'm puzzeled by Lam's team. It could cost us the win. Treviso spent the last two months preparing this. Can't wait to see Robb/Parata and THAT back-row in action though

It's not puzzling to me. The current form of both sides means the BP will probably be wrapped up after 50 minutes. I don't buy the 'two months preparing for this' argument, you don't go out to get deliberately hammered in three games straight. There's also a lot of starters in that injury list. It cannot cost a win as there is a very strong bench to come to save the day if needs be. The full team will play against Glasgow and then get a rest before (hopefully!) two playoff games.
    Think you overestimate the gap between us and the Italians. I remember we were in serious danger after 60 minutes in Parma (Zebre).
    I'm not confident about our scrum (AhYou/Loughney) our half-backs (Carty-Cooney), our lineout without Dillane/Aly, and our wingers for the defensive duties (Carr/Niyi). the point is it should be a high-scoring game, and if it bounces the wrong way, with a few more handling errors and soft tries conceeded, the bench could come in too late
    Well, you all have to admit I was right with that post...
    Again Bazoo, said it... It was very possible to happen, Injuries+rotations meant we were too far from our usual starting team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

To get to the final now we'd probably now need to beat Glasgow at home twice in a row. It would be a big ask whoever we ended up against but that would be a massive task.

Despite Connacht's excellent looking scrum over the last couple of seasons there is a huge drop off in the standard of our props below White, Buckley and Bealham. Loughney can come on as a sub and maybe hold up a scrum for 15 minutes but that's about it. I don't know that Cooney is Pro 12 standard, never mind Champions Cup. Hopefully the new signing Carey can be brought up to standard fairly quickly and the likes of O'Donnell and the other academy props (if they're being kept on) can kick on sooner rather than later. As we saw tonight we're two injuries from disaster in the front row at any time.

Again Bazoo, said it... It was very possible to happen, Injuries+rotations meant we were too far from our usual starting team

Not being smart connachta but you tend to make negative predictions constantly including that connacht might only win 1 of the last 8 league fixtures and be caught by Cardiff Blues or something so ya know I wouldn't start calling yourself Nostradamus just yet.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Not being smart connachta but you tend to make negative predictions constantly including that connacht might only win 1 of the last 8 league fixtures and be caught by Cardiff Blues or something so ya know I wouldn't start calling yourself Nostradamus just yet.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)

Doesn't change much without the BP, we probably would have had to beat Glasgow anyway
    The Glasgow match could have worked out quite nicely for both sides as a bonus point draw had we not lost tonight. Not that I condone match fixing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

while i am a bit miffed at this result i am more miffed with carr. yes he breaks a line and carries. but he is not a team player. he simply runs his own lines. so i wish him the best but he's not for me. its how he always played rugby and he always looks good. he just needs to understand there are another 14 players on the field who are working for a team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It will. The Italian teams have phoned it in. In their three games since the 6N, Treviso have conceded 56, 38 and 47.
    I know you like to be a glass half-empty poster on here but Treviso haven't a prayer in this. Connacht will put at least 40 on them. Now if Connacht also rested the players from the bench then maybe there would be a cause for concern.
    Let's see the result. I'll be happy to admit I was wrong.

latest?cb=20130904185235

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement