Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

This team doesn't kick enough I agree
    but what I mean is
    1) a Lbp next week wouldn't have been enough if the Leinster strong selection is able to get LBP in Ravenhill
    2) a Lbp is not an easy thing to control against Glasgow, and we're not build for that
    3) a Lbp is a defeat, just 1 week before the similar game against the same team, it's not all good for confidence
    4) we're officially in the semi-final and didn't see any severe injuries after treviso
    5) that's why I'm rather ok with the "win or die" situation, especially because with Aki Marmion Dillane Muldowney Muldoon etc back, it's a completely different team, and I claim we'll be favorite against Glasgow if White is back (White is White , Dillane is Dillane :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

molloyjh wrote: »
    True. And no offence to Connacht who've been great all season, but that wouldn't bother me as a Leinster fan that much. We nilled them in the RDS the last time and in Galway with a depleted side came very close to snatching a win despite a very disjointed performance. I'd back a full strength Leinster side at home against anyone except Glasgow at this stage.

Connacht have a few things to learn from this season, mainly that ambition needs to be somewhat tempered by pragmatism. The game last night and the Grenoble game are two examples of where a bit more practicality would have probably changed the outcome. It's all well and good being a great attacking side for the majority of the season, but if it's that approach that costs you in the end then it's as much a hindrance as a help. I don't doubt those learnings will be taken on board but as it stands that lack of pragmatism is what stands out as their Achilles heal now.

Easy on there. In any season there is going to be the odd disaster. There were good reasons why Connacht lost to Grenoble. There were good reasons why Connacht lost to Treviso. To pick on Connachts style of play as the reason is simply untrue. In both cases we were dealing with serious cases of inexperience. Take the Grenoble game. While Shane did his best he put the team under huge pressure by shovelling the ball along the line every time when there were many cases the ball should have been brough into contact plus an awful kick acroos the 22 that eventually cost a try. Just for comparison sake I suggest you look at Leinster with Cathal Marsh before making comments about how Connacht play rugby. It has nothing got to do with how Connacht play rugby. We will be making no such mistakes next week I can assure you. The lads will be most focused. If we lose next week its because Glasgow are a better team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

It was a bad performance, but anybody thinking a team like that will line out against them in the upcoming games needs to come back to planet earth, that was almost an entirely second string team, and most of them didn't even play to anywhere near their potential at that. Just to underline that:

1: 2nd/3rd choice
    2: Starter
    3: 3rd choice(generous...)
    4&5: one of them would normally be on the bench
    6&8: one of them would be on the bench
    7: starter

9: 2nd choice
    10: Starter/2nd choice
    11: 3rd choice(though did excellently)
    12: 2nd/3rd choice
    13: 3rd choice
    14: Starter/2nd choice
    15: Starter

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ragging on these guys, a lot of them are good players, but it was a team made up entirely of lads trying to fight their way up the ladder to a starting spot, they lack any cohesiveness and it showed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

It was such a disappointing game. Result aside you could tell this was a rag tag team with an eye on net week. That said they should have been good enough to beat that Treviso team.

They really lacked cohesion, butchered a good few chances to win. some good breaks got butchered. We actually kicked a lot more out of our 22 than usual. The big issue for me was leadership. You could tell that Muldoon and Muldowney weren't playing for the first half.

The lack was well beaten after Buckley and White we don't really have full game props. No point singling any players out as the pack on a whole played poorly.

On the otherhand Robb and Carr stood out had decent games.

Bazzo wrote: »
    It was a bad performance, but anybody thinking a team like that will line out against them in the upcoming games needs to come back to planet earth, that was almost an entirely second string team, and most of them didn't even play to anywhere near their potential at that. Just to underline that:

1: 2nd/3rd choice
    2: Starter
    3: 3rd choice(generous...)
    4&5: one of them would normally be on the bench
    6&8: one of them would be on the bench
    7: starter

9: 2nd choice
    10: Starter/2nd choice
    11: 3rd choice(though did excellently)
    12: 2nd/3rd choice
    13: 3rd choice
    14: Starter/2nd choice
    15: Starter

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ragging on these guys, a lot of them are good players, but it was a team made up entirely of lads trying to fight their way up the ladder to a starting spot, they lack any cohesiveness and it showed.
    Even Heenan is between starter and 2nd choice, don't forget Fox did really well before his injury

Carr had a good final game with Connacht. Glad for him but still think it should be his final game. Parata and Healy for me, and Poolman if back. Carr has sparkles, he always had, but too lateral. Would be great for him to finish in France, wish Pau or Grenoble could give him a one year contract..

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Easy on there. In any season there is going to be the odd disaster. There were good reasons why Connacht lost to Grenoble. There were good reasons why Connacht lost to Treviso. To pick on Connachts style of play as the reason is simply untrue. In both cases we were dealing with serious cases of inexperience. Take the Grenoble game. While Shane did his best he put the team under huge pressure by shovelling the ball along the line every time when there were many cases the ball should have been brough into contact plus an awful kick acroos the 22 that eventually cost a try. Just for comparison sake I suggest you look at Leinster with Cathal Marsh before making comments about how Connacht play rugby. It has nothing got to do with how Connacht play rugby. We will be making no such mistakes next week I can assure you. The lads will be most focused. If we lose next week its because Glasgow are a better team

Connacht lose v Grenoble and Treviso because of the gameplan. They are playing to a plan to go wide pretty much always. It never entered the players minds to catch, set and clear. The odd disaster as you put it could easily be avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

The problem is not their style of play. It is their inability to know when to run and when to kick.

I would hope Boshoff makes a difference because there is a glaring lack of quality at 10 in the current squad while most other positions are well covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Buer wrote: »
    Sorry, you're correct, I didn't account for the games won total.

The more likely scenario stands though, Connacht can no longer earn a LBP and potentially get the home semi.

How was that possible anyway? If Leinster came away from Ulster with nothing you mean? Slim chance of that imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Didn't get a chance to watch this.....what's the verdict? No ridiculously over the top responses please and thanks!

• Advertisement

S12b wrote: »
    Didn't get a chance to watch this.....what's the verdict? No ridiculously over the top responses please and thanks!
    It was pretty gash to watch. Treviso performed decently but our forwards got blown off the park, they dominated the scrum. Stupid mistakes like not supporting runners who then get isolated and turned over, knock ons in the red zone, and really dodgy decision making(they had a penalty in front of the posts with 5 mins to go when up by a point and kicked to the corner). Robb and Carr had good games, a few others were decent, a lot will be disappointed in their performance.

It was like watching a Connacht team from 3 or 4 years ago tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

The problem is not their style of play. It is their inability to know when to run and when to kick.

I would hope Boshoff makes a difference because there is a glaring lack of quality at 10 in the current squad while most other positions are well covered.

Running from the 22 had led to tries a lot this season, the most recent example being Akis break against Munster, who admittedly were down a man at the time but it also led to scores against Grenoble. It only ever seems to get pointed out when it leads to scores against Connacht.

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Connacht lose v Grenoble and Treviso because of the gameplan. They are playing to a plan to go wide pretty much always. It never entered the players minds to catch, set and clear. The odd disaster as you put it could easily be avoided.
    Connacht lost to Grenoble because of an inexperienced 10. Connacht lost to Treviso because the selected team was very weak. We are the right end of the table BECAUSE of our gameplan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Well it seems Ulster are about to make sure we have a top two clash to wind up the season...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

ClanofLams wrote:
    How was that possible anyway? If Leinster came away from Ulster with nothing you mean? Slim chance of that imo

Didn't think there was that slim a chance and it came to pass. Missed opportunity last night for Connacht where a LBP next week would have guaranteed them a home semi final.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Treadhead wrote: »
    Well it seems Ulster are about to make sure we have a top two clash to wind up the season...

The winner of Conn v Glasgow wins the league and gets a home SF, the loser finishes third and gets an away SF to Leinster.

All assuming Leinster beat Treviso in the RDS

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The winner of Conn v Glasgow wins the league and gets a home SF, the loser finishes third and gets an away SF to Leinster.

All assuming Leinster beat Treviso in the RDS

If Leinster get the BP win, Connacht need to do likewise in order to finish top.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yup you're right

Last night's result comes back to bite us in the ass after all. Live and learn I suppose, sending out a weakened team at the business end of the season as a bit naive from Pat but I'm sure he's learned his lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Zebre must hate us at this point. I think they've lost every game they've ever played against us in the league and the Heineken Cup, and now we've cost them a Champions Cup place next season.

zebre host dragons next week

leinster host treviso

I reckon Zebre might just make the ERCC for next season

Wud have to think that team for glasgow will look like
    15 toh
    14 poolman or niyi
    13 bundee
    12 Craig or Robbie
    11 matt
    10 aj or jack
    9 kiernan
    1 tom or Finlay
    2 Shane or tom
    3 finlay
    4 ultan
    5 aly
    6 john
    7 jake
    8 sob or eoin

Bench
    16 Ronan
    17 Heff
    18 JP
    19 Andrew
    20 eoin
    21 cooney
    22 carty
    23 robbie or parata

All first named players would be my preferred over alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

There's no way in hell McCartney will play LH. If that was ever an option he would have gotten time there yesterday.
    Hopefully White is back and Finlay can move across. O
    Henshaw is in the centre that's an absolute given unless TOH has a knock.

Pat isn't going to move McCartney to loosehead in one of the biggest games of the season. I can guarantee you the starting front row will either be 1. Bealham 2. McCartney 3. White or 1. Loughney 2. McCartney 3. Bealham if White is unavailable. Similarly you might like Delahunt(I like him too) but that doesn't mean he suddenly leapfrogs both JHW and Heffernan who have been consistently selected ahead of him when available. I also can't see SOB being selected at 8 for the first time when it's McKeon's natural position. If Bundee is available then it'll be 12. Aki 13. Robbie in the centre. With everyone who could be available available I'd imagine we'll see:

1. Bealham
    2. McCartney
    3. White
    4. Dillane
    5. Muldowney
    6. Muldoon
    7. Heenan
    8. McKeon

9. Marmion
    10. Carty
    11. Healy
    12. Aki
    13. Henshaw
    14. Adeolokun
    15. O'Halloran

16. Heffernan
    17. Loughney
    18. JP Cooney
    19. Roux
    20. O'Brien
    21. Cooney
    22. MacGinty
    23. Poolman

If Ronaldson had been fit for Treviso I think he'd be in there somewhere but seeing as he wasn't I think he might miss out.

The logic is that Nathan took a really bad knock so don't see him back. The other logic is (be it aj or jack) we need Craig as backup for kicking duties (if availabile). And if Robbie is to play (assuming Craig available) then it is at fullback. And there is an argument for that after toh being pushed off when he really should have stopped a try. That said his other play would indicate he is the best fullback we have and I guess he simply was slow coming back from injury. For him not to take the opposing player at his waist defeats me

15 toh
    14 poolman or niyi
    13 bundee
    12 Craig or Robbie
    11 matt
    10 aj or jack
    9 kiernan
    21 cooney
    22 carty
    23 robbie or parata

9. Marmion
    10. Carty
    11. Healy
    12. Aki
    13. Henshaw
    14. Adeolokun
    15. O'Halloran

22. MacGinty
    23. Poolman

Well I disagree with both of you, I really think Pat best back-line would be

9) Marmion
    10) Carty
    11) Healy
    12) Robb
    13) Aki
    14) TOH
    15) Henshaw

21) Cooney
    22) McGinty
    23) Parata

Probably won't happen, but REALLY REALLY think it would work damn good
    This time I trust youth more than you, because Robb/Parata are proven quality. The 1st one barely misses a tackle, the 2nd one can bring more than Poolman/Niyi on the wing or as centre if needed. My opinion

• Advertisement

To be clear I was saying what I think we're likely to see rather than personal preferences. I would personally probably have poolman starting at 14 with parata on the bench and Ronaldson starting at 10(this is never going to happen).

Nobody feels how harsh it is to drop Robb when he played so well on the last few games???
    Aki/Henshaw isn't a settled partnership, played at worst 5 or 6 games together. That's not like we're breaking Darce/BOD pairing.
    Henshaw played as much as FB as he did as centre in his career. Same for TOH as winger. Why not putting all our strongest players on the teamsheet?

connachta wrote: »
    Nobody feels how harsh it is to drop Robb when he played so well on the last few games???
    Aki/Henshaw isn't a settled partnership, played at worst 5 or 6 games together. That's not like we're breaking Darce/BOD pairing.
    Henshaw played as much as FB as he did as centre in his career. Same for TOH as winger. Why not putting all our strongest players on the teamsheet?
    I get that argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Why is everyone assuming Aki is available for Glasgow?

Think it's hoping more than assuming.

• Advertisement

Ah okay thought I'd missed an update

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Because he wasn't listed as injured for the Treviso game? Should he have been?

wp_rathead wrote: »
    The team I listed that I think we'll see was "with everyone who could be available available" but I'm hopeful Aki will be available for selection and that leaving him off the injured list wasn't just an oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Seen Bundee on the tv today at the Galwegians game. He looked in good spirits and was standing on sideline. If it was that bad an injury he would be off it so I think he will be back for Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

What are the requirements for signing a medical joker ? We have our 2 starting props injured and both might not make it back this season. Bealham is adequate cover but outside of him we are lost. Could we get one in even though AJ was signed as a MJ too ?

Not sure of the rules but I didn't hear AJ was signed as a medical joker.

When I said we could have a MJ from Munster when Buckley's rumours started, everyone said "never ever"... I guess that'd be more likely someone outside Ireland. Maybe Carey coming up early now his season is over?

connachta wrote: »
    When I said we could have a MJ from Munster when Buckley's rumours started, everyone said "never ever"... I guess that'd be more likely someone outside Ireland. Maybe Carey coming up early now his season is over?
    We apologize. Ya git. Your nearly as bad as me but then nobody is that bad :-). So cut the smugness and get on with it :-)

It needed two years here for you to be such a good boy, I've got one remaining year of smugness;)

No, more seriously, my point was just : why a Medical jokar is imagined now? I've just asked if it's the Munster origin which was considered unlikely when I talked about it? In this case, would a "foreigner" be more likely?
    you misunderstood, I didn't try to show-off there^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Kelleher to Connacht according to the indo

• Advertisement

Hopefully doesn't hinder Gaffney's development but Kelleher seems a cracking prospect in his own right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    What are the requirements for signing a medical joker ? We have our 2 starting props injured and both might not make it back this season. Bealham is adequate cover but outside of him we are lost. Could we get one in even though AJ was signed as a MJ too ?

I think there is a date in march after which the league will not accept new registrations.

FACECUTTR wrote: »

I would shudder to think what level of prop would be available at this time of year... presumably there is a cut off date too.

Besides, two injuries is not a crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I would shudder to think what level of prop would be available at this time of year... presumably there is a cut off date too.

Besides, two injuries is not a crisis.

There is, it's in March. No more signings at this stage.

That's the winger/fullback signing we were talking about needing. I wonder if he'll be finishing out an academy contract or starting on a senior deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Bazzo wrote: »
    That's the winger/fullback signing we were talking about needing. I wonder if he'll be finishing out an academy contract or starting on a senior deal?

Reports that it is a senior deal and that's whats annoying Leinster. Typical Connacht poaching young players from poor defenseless Leinster!

But it's a positive thing that guys are moving around, so long as he's actually given game time out west.

TO'H, Leader, Gaffney and Kelleher as FB options (and sure Healy if we're feeling devilish)
    Healy, Poolman, Niyi, Parata, TOH, Kelleher, Gaffney, and Leader as wing options

Not too shabby

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Who are favourites for con v Glasgow.
    Also bit of a sickner con lost, would be nice being on top of the table going into the last match.

Stan27 wrote: »
    Who are favourites for con v Glasgow.
    Also bit of a sickner con lost, would be nice being on top of the table going into the last match.

Gotta be Glasgow the way they are playing
    But still, we've only lost once at home all season so here's hoping

• Advertisement

Reports that it is a senior deal and that's whats annoying Leinster. Typical Connacht poaching young players from poor defenseless Leinster!

But it's a positive thing that guys are moving around, so long as he's actually given game time out west.

Very ungraceful of me but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a very small twinge of schadenfreude reading how unhappy Leinster were about the move. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement