Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Bazzo wrote: »
    Very ungraceful of me but I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a very small twinge of schadenfreude reading how unhappy Leinster were about the move. :p

Ah but it's very different though. Up and coming promising player is nothing compared to the player a brand was just about to be built on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'll be honest, if it is true what Leinster says about him having signed a development deal and then it being broken it is rather unusual..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Great addition to the squad. LH and a lock now and we are in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I'll be honest, if it is true what Leinster says about him having signed a development deal and then it being broken it is rather unusual..

Already agreed is quite different to signed. I would think it may have been verbally agreed with his rep but nothing signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

IMO the indication is to triple each positions to be ready for ChampionsCup (45 men in the squad)

it's job done for the backline (assuming SOL and Finn stay)

9) Mamion, Cooney, Blade
    10) Boshoff, Carty, SOL
    11) Healy, Kelleher, O'Keefe
    12) Robb, Ronaldson, McSharry
    13) Aki, Griffin, Parata
    14) Poolman, Niyi, Finn
    15) TOH, Leader, Gaffney

for the forwards we need 3 last signings

1) Buckley, ???, Loughney/Cooney
    2) McCartney, Delahunt, Heffernan
    3) Bealham, Carey, White
    4) Roux, ??? (the mysterious kiwi lock), Qualter
    5) Dillane, Browne, Marshall
    6) Muldoon, SOB, Connolly
    7) Heenan, Fox-Matamua, Rory Moloney
    8) Masterson, McKeon, ??? (can't be willie Ryan, just has signed with Ealing)

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »
    IMO the indication is to triple each positions to be ready for ChampionsCup (45 men in the squad)

9) Mamion, Cooney, Blade
    10) Boshoff, Carty, SOL
    13) Aki, Griffin, Parata
    14) Poolman, Niyi, Finn
    15) TOH, Leader, Gaffney

3) Bealham, Carey, White

For me Bent at LH and the kiwi Lock would suffice. We are stacked with back rows so can't see an 8 coming too although I'd like one.

FACECUTTR wrote: »

9) Mamion, Cooney, Blade
    10) Boshoff, Carty, SOL
    13) Aki, Griffin, Parata
    14) Poolman, Niyi, Finn
    15) TOH, Leader, Gaffney

3) Bealham, Carey, White

For me Bent at LH and the kiwi Lock would suffice. We are stacked with back rows so can't see an 8 coming too although I'd like one.
    Bent is still on contract with Leinster... I'm affraid we entirely rely on Bucley's fitness once more...

Bent is still on contract with Leinster... I'm affraid we entirely rely on Bucley's fitness once more...

There were rumblings of Nucifora moving a few players around the Provinces. It would be a loan deal like the Roux/Cooney arrangements.

Hope you're right. TBH won't be that bad to have exchanged Henshaw to have Kelleher+Bent...

Hope you're right. TBH won't be that bad to have exchanged Henshaw to have Kelleher+Bent...

.....ah heyyooorrr

• Advertisement

Just realised officially relegated London Irish have a lock called Lloyd, and he's a kiwi, from Auckland just as Pat... Would it be him???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Doing a bit of math as I read it if Connacht win with a try bonus point then they finish top of the league with Leinster second (assuming they win at Treviso with a try bonus point or not). If Glasgow get a losing bonus point Leinster will still finish second with a win at Treviso. If Glasgow get a losing bonus point and a try bonus point then Leinster need a try bonus point at treviso to finish second. So the aim has to be a try bonus point win against Glasgow. With that achieved Glasgow and Leinster will face each others in the semis. Any other result makes things a lot more difficult. Correct?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Anyone know what the deal is with ticketing for a potential away Semi? Usual regular season style allocations and Ticketbastard free for all or something more substantial?

Guessing it's like for the challenge Cup and season ticket get 24 hour priority if we get home semi
    Not sure if we away

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Might be one of my stupider-est ideas, but when I heard about Mafi leaving Bath, he'd be the no.8 that could go really well for Connacht.

Of course ignoring the fact that he's basically annoyed everyone at Bath and is reportedly moving back to Japan.

I'd Prefer Narraway from London Irish if we have to put money on a NIQ n 8 (don't think it will happen)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Doing a bit of math as I read it if Connacht win with a try bonus point then they finish top of the league with Leinster second (assuming they win at Treviso with a try bonus point or not). If Glasgow get a losing bonus point Leinster will still finish second with a win at Treviso. If Glasgow get a losing bonus point and a try bonus point then Leinster need a try bonus point at treviso to finish second. So the aim has to be a try bonus point win against Glasgow. With that achieved Glasgow and Leinster will face each others in the semis. Any other result makes things a lot more difficult. Correct?

Just one mistake here. Leinster are not at Treviso but at home to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Idiot presenter on RTE bringing up the Quins game... "Connacht can win big one-off games". Swifty and the others correcting him... eh no, they've been doing it all season. Typical uninformed BS from O'Brien... :rolleyes:

Zzippy wrote: »
    Idiot presenter on RTE bringing up the Quins game... "Connacht can win big one-off games". Swifty and the others correcting him... eh no, they've been doing it all season. Typical uninformed BS from O'Brien... :rolleyes:

Not watching but not surprised. O'Brien is a joke. Surprised he kept his job after that gambling scandal a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd Prefer Narraway from London Irish if we have to put money on a NIQ n 8 (don't think it will happen)

Nah, Narraway is rapidly fading away as a force. He was once such a promising player, similar to Chris Jones at Sale. A really athletic and rangy forward.

He signed a one year extension a couple of weeks ago. He has completely lost his ambition. I can see him winding down for another year or two in a lower league and his career fizzling out. A real case of what could have been.

If Connacht were to look at someone of that profile, they'd be much better off looking at someone like Jordan Crane. He'd never leave to come to Ireland but he's several years younger and is more abrasive and driven on the field.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Robbo wrote: »
    Anyone know what the deal is with ticketing for a potential away Semi? Usual regular season style allocations and Ticketbastard free for all or something more substantial?
    Knowing Connacht, the tickets will go on sale for the season ticket holders during the Glasgow game and on general sale as soon as the final whistle blows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

The betting is up!
    Powers see us as two point outsiders which is how I would see it.

45% chance of a home semi, I would have taken that a month ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

A lot will depend on who's available. If white Aki and Healey are back then -2 sounds OK. If they aren't then those odds are going to change big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's precisely the sort of move that should happen. He'll benefit from the move as will Connacht. He might have been on the cusp of signing a 2 year development deal in Leinster but the fact is that he'd still find himself fighting with a glut of players for a start.

His style is very much one that would suit Connacht also. He's a free running attacker. He has some real gaps in his game but game time will hopefully improve those.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    A lot will depend on who's available. If white Aki and Healey are back then -2 sounds OK. If they aren't then those odds are going to change big time.

Swifty was on Against the Head yesterday evening and he mentioned Aki being back as if it was expected, so I'd say he'll be ok for the weekend. White still being monitored so might be back, didn't know Healy was injured...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Zzippy wrote: »
    BrokenMan wrote: »

Swifty was on Against the Head yesterday evening and he mentioned Aki being back as if it was expected, so I'd say he'll be ok for the weekend. White still being monitored so might be back, didn't know Healy was injured...
    *Matt Healy suffered a minor back injury last week to rule him out of selection for the Treviso game.

was the update given at the team announcement last week so with any luck he'll be available.

As a bit of a Gaffney fanboy I'm worried this will stiffle his progression into the senior squad but it's hard not to be excited about signing Kelleher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Pat Lam handed out this sheet at the press conference today
    1148249.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

b.gud wrote: »
    Pat Lam handed out this sheet at the press conference today 1148249.jpg
    chang-squinting.gif

Bazzo wrote: »
    chang-squinting.gif

Need these? :D
    andi-glasses-black-front.jpg

Here's something to cheer you up from your post bank holiday fear. Bundee is running!!!!!!!!!

1148328.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Why did Lam hand that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

CatFromHue wrote: »

To show the great job that he and the squad are doing............ less caps than anyone close. Less caps, less money, less experience. Press starting to come up with the "wheels have fallen off" the bandwagon stories.

Only guessing mind !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

He was making the point that Connacht are only doing well because they have hardly any internationals, and that they didn't really suffer during the World Cup or Six Nations and that's when they've really made hay.

He went on to say that, with Dillane, White and Marmion breaking through alongside Henshaw and with possibly more to follow in the coming years, people shouldn't expect Connacht to repeat this season's performance any time soon, and that the Treviso game was a sign of things to come.

I'm paraphrasing, obviously.

No idea, I guess we'll find out over the next day or 2 when the journos who were there today have there articles published. I saw it on Sportsfile where they said he handed out some sheets and put a picture of that, the site looks to be down for me now so I can't link to it

On the injury front Aki and Healy are back fit again. Buckley and White still unavailable though Lam is hopeful Buckley will be back before the playoffs.

http://www.the42.ie/bundee-aki-fit-glasgow-warriors-connacht-matt-healy-2748291-May2016/

• Advertisement

So the press could read it while he's talking and know what he's on about? :P

Hell yes.

Worrying how long Nathan White has been out with concussion, must be about 6 weeks now.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Worrying how long Nathan White has been out with concussion, must be about 6 weeks now.

Was thinking the same myself, it was against Leinster at home which was 26th of March. That seems like long time to recover from a concussion.

Was thinking the same myself, it was against Leinster at home which was 26th of March. That seems like long time to recover from a concussion.

For his own well being he should not take part again until pre season.

• Advertisement

FACECUTTR wrote: »

For his own well being he should not take part again until pre season.
    For Connacht well being he has to play the semi-final if he can.

Well Who will go Saturday. Loughney more penalised than Rodney, so I'd go with Bealham/AhYou to start, Loughney JP or Saba on the bench

I did same some time back say that Nathan looked in bad shape coming off the field against Leinster. The fact that he has since not returned would leave you to believe that he is unlikely to return before season end. So we make do with what we have. I do believe that with Aly, Ultan and Finlay returning the scrum will stabalize. I would suggest that Denis is a bigger loss particularly at the breakdown. Probably we must go with Ronan at LH and Finlay at tighhead. Its not ideal and would definitely require Kiernan to recycle quickly. Will be interesting to see if Peter retains his place or Robbie goes in the centre or takes over at fullback. Watching against the head it was a bit unfair that the try where Tiernan was pushed out of the way was given as the Treviso player was clearly in touch. That said by any measurement it was a shabby tackle by Tiernan.

For Connacht well being he has to play the semi-final if he can.

Well Who will go Saturday. Loughney more penalised than Rodney, so I'd go with Bealham/AhYou to start, Loughney JP or Saba on the bench
    His health is paramount connachta
    I'd go Bealham and Rodney on Sat also, agree Loughney was under serious pressure last week and Rodney was less worse

I did same some time back say that Nathan looked in bad shape coming off the field against Leinster.
    Come on, keep your smugness (revange :p)

no smugness on that one. he was wobbling badly and didnt seem to know where he was. its not something you want to see anytime

We all agree. + Nathan is a good guy, devoted to Connacht

McKeon should be ahead of SOB for his big games experience...
    Nobody agrees to drop Niyi rather than Robb?

Anyway mixed feelings. On one hand the scrum won't be a Connacht weapon for the first time since... I don't even know
    On the other hand the backline will be a real advantage, full stenght with players at their best. It's also new
    I think Dillane and Heenan are game-changers : if the 1st one carries strong, the 2nd one finds his turnover-abilities again, and both push behind our LH is the scrum, then Buckley's absence won't be too damaging.

McKeon should be ahead of SOB for his big games experience...
    Nobody agrees to drop Niyi rather than Robb?

people have to be dropped. now i've only said it for years that i don't think robbie makes things happen at fullback and when we need things to happen this weekend it has to be tiernan at fullback. so then its unfair but i think robbie has to join bundee at centre. so that means matt and niyi on the wings. if we have an issue at centre peter/rory can cover. if we have an issue on the wing tiernan can move there and robbie to full back and peter/rory slots in the centre. if we have an issue at fullback then robbie moves there and peter/rory slot into the centre. so peter/rory covers all the needed disaster cominations so i see peter over rory at 23.

as for sob/mckeon you can call that one. myself, i'm a huge sob fan

Why I'd prefer Robb as 12

cumulative tackling stats since Ulster game

Henshaw 19 missed 10
    Aki 16 missed 2
    Robb 31 missed 2

wow. was talking to a buddy on sunday and he mentioned that robbie hadnt looked great recently. Jeepers those stats would suggest why

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement