Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

I like that team, it's as strong as we could have fielded given the injuries. Might have gone with McKeon at 8 myself and Muldoon at 6 but that's not a big deal.

AJ takes his rightful place at number 10, our best out half to get those outside him moving forward. And that's where this game will be won. We have electric backs and I love that centre pairing. Think if the scrum can survive that we're in with a great chance.

I think myself O'Leary ahead of Carty is a fair call, as I've said here before, he's better at taking the ball at pace and is a better passer of the ball than Carty. Probably also a little physically stronger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Roux ahead of Browne is interesting too. Maybe Pat is seeing what Joe saw earlier... Ball-carrier in the rain is a good call anyway. Glasgow team is not 100% either. Price must be targetted, very young SH. Their TH might make Loughney suffer much less than the Italian guy last week. Bennett "only" on the bench is releiving, too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

connachta wrote: »
    Roux ahead of Browne is interesting too. Maybe Pat is seeing what Joe saw earlier... Ball-carrier in the rain is a good call anyway. Glasgow team is not 100% too. Price must be targetted very young SH. Their TH might make Loughney suffer much less than the Italian last week. Bennett "only" on the bench is releiving, too

Andrew Browne is injured - but I say he'd have gone with Roux anyway :)

Injured/Unavailable: Denis Buckley, Nathan White, Conan O’Donnell, Andrew Browne, Ben Marshall, Nepia Fox-Matamua, Eoghan Masterson, Ian Porter, Craig Ronaldson, Dave McSharry, Danie Poolman, Darragh Leader, Ciaran Gaffney.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Roux ahead of Browne is interesting too. Maybe Pat is seeing what Joe saw earlier... Ball-carrier in the rain is a good call anyway. Glasgow team is not 100% too. Price must be targetted very young SH. Their TH might make Loughney suffer much less than the Italian last week. Bennett "only" on the bench is releiving, too

Andrew Browne is injured - but I say he'd have gone with Roux anyway :)

Injured/Unavailable: Denis Buckley, Nathan White, Conan O Donnell, Andrew Browne, Ben Marshall, Nepia Fox-Matamua, Eoghan Masterson, Ian Porter, Craig Ronaldson, Dave McSharry, Danie Poolman, Darragh Leader, Ciaran Gaffney.
    Apologies. BTW What happened to Ben Marshall (again)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Roux ahead of Browne is interesting too. Maybe Pat is seeing what Joe saw earlier... Ball-carrier in the rain is a good call anyway. Glasgow team is not 100% either. Price must be targetted, very young SH. Their TH might make Loughney suffer much less than the Italian guy last week. Bennett "only" on the bench is releiving, too

Browne is listed as injured

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Number 137

Totally agree, it's "kick it" or die IMO

I think I made it relatively clear that it isn't about kick, kick and kick. It's about varying their game. Whatever happens I'll be shouting Connacht on, but this is going to be a genuine test of how far Connacht have come. Hope you do it.

Number 137 wrote: »
    Totally agree, it's "kick it" or die IMO

I think I made it relatively clear that it isn't about kick, kick and kick. It's about varying their game. Whatever happens I'll be shouting Connacht on, but this is going to be a genuine test of how far Connacht have come. Hope you do it.
    Nobody can reasonably think we're going to kick all the time. We won't go from one extreme strategy to the other. The point is we only kicked the ball literally twice or thrice against Leinster or Treviso in the entire game. We need to clear our line a bit more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Nobody can reasonably think we're going to kick all the time. We won't go from one extreme strategy to the other. The point is we only kicked the ball literally twice or thrice against Leinster or Treviso in the entire game. We need to clear our line a bit more often.

Connacht won against Leinster and the game plan wasn't the problem against Treviso. As Lam said after the Leinster match if they had kicked they would be defending rather than running with ball in hand, albeit usually for no gain or losing ground. Had they kicked more I don't think they would have been able to hold on.

I really don't get the criticism of the Connacht game plan. Yes it has led to scores against Connacht but it has also led to many for Connacht and is a big part of the reason why Connacht are already in the semi finals with 8 try bonus points. Running from the 22 is risky but it is a risk that has paid off over the season and I wouldn't expect it to be changed much at this stage.

ClanofLams wrote: »

Connacht won against Leinster and the game plan wasn't the problem against Treviso. As Lam said after the Leinster match if they had kicked they would be defending rather than running with ball in hand, albeit usually for no gain or losing ground. Had they kicked more I don't think they would have been able to hold on.

I really don't get the criticism of the Connacht game plan. Yes it has led to scores against Connacht but it has also led to many for Connacht and is a big part of the reason why Connacht are already in the semi finals with 8 try bonus points. Running from the 22 is risky but it is a risk that has paid off over the season and I wouldn't expect it to be changed much at this stage.

How many times we went so close to interception, even in our 22, that the fans caught heart-attack? Many times, especially against Leinster and Treviso. That's why I quoted those games.
    Risks have to be balanced. The fact it has suit us doesn't mean it always will. Against aggressive and handy teams like Glasgow, we have to be careful (and kick sometimes, even if it means pressure afterward)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The gameplan isn't bad, but I'd prefer to see a few more chips over the top to keep defences honest. Teams have been really pressing up on us lately, knowing we're going to move the ball through the hands, which is leaving little space to play and often forcing us back. The odd chip and chase would keep them a bit more honest and reduce their line speed for fear of being caught out. Not easy to do against the likes of Russell and Hogg, mind...

• Advertisement

How many times we went so close to interception, even in our 22, that the fans caught heart-attack? Many times, especially against Leinster and Treviso. That's why I quoted those games.
    Risks have to be balanced. The fact it has suit us doesn't mean it always will. Against aggressive and handy teams like Glasgow, we have to be careful (and kick sometimes, even if it means pressure afterward)

I'm not arguing that it's not risky but if you reviewed the season as a whole it's been a risk that paid off. McGinty is less of a kicking 10 than Carty and the game plan isn't going to change at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Johnny Farango

Just wondering what channels cover this game? I was meant to go to it but now am going to be in Belfast. TG4? Any other channels?

Just wondering what channels cover this game? I was meant to go to it but now am going to be in Belfast. TG4? Any other channels?

BBC Scotland and TG4

I'm not arguing that it's not risky but if you reviewed the season as a whole it's been a risk that paid off. McGinty is less of a kicking 10 than Carty and the game plan isn't going to change at this stage.
    Nobody's talking about change, we're talking about 6-7 clearance kicks a game + 2-3 chips, which would still be very low.
    And with Boshoff it's going to change a lot more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

The Connacht game works based on some simple rules. The pack must be able to hold steady, the lineout must function, the ruck must be cleared out quickly. If you take the Leinster game we were under crazy pressure, our pack was seriously creaking and Shane did the right thing and got rid of the ball. There is no point in playing a possession game if you are on your own line. However there is every reason to play a posession game everywhere else. Without posession the potential break wont happen. And you really don't want to be handing Glasgow posession

Nobody's talking about change, we're talking about 6-7 clearance kicks a game + 2-3 chips, which would still be very low.
    And with Boshoff it's going to change a lot more

By at this stage I meant this season. Boshoff would seem to be a 10 that will mean more kicking alright but that's next season.

All I'm saying is the current plan isn't going to be altered for tomorrow imo. We have no great touch finders so a kick will either result in a Glasgow lineout probably juat outside the Conn 22 (assuming the kick is deep in 22) or Stuart Hogg running the ball back, neither good outcomes.

Maybe I'm wrong though, will see tomorrow.

The Connacht game works based on some simple rules. The pack must be able to hold steady, the lineout must function, the ruck must be cleared out quickly. If you take the Leinster game we were under crazy pressure, our pack was seriously creaking and Shane did the right thing and got rid of the ball. There is no point in playing a possession game if you are on your own line. However there is every reason to play a posession game everywhere else. Without posession the potential break wont happen. And you really don't want to be handing Glasgow posession

Connacht kicked practically nothing in that game, one or two but in comparison to what the vast majority of teams would have done it was very little.

Connacht kicked practically nothing in that game, one or two but in comparison to what the vast majority of teams would have done it was very little.
    I honestly cant see that change tomorrow. AJ will do what he does and challenge the line as will Kieran. TOH will carry until the last second and either pass or grubber kick (thanks God he's rock solid under the high ball as he will need to be with the weather promised), Matt does the odd kick forward and usually collects and Niyi is just pure pace. Bundee will look for any chance to run with the ball and Robbie will be rock solid in defence. So its a really good and more importantly experienced back line. They all know how each other play and trust each other. The only concern is if Ronan can step up. I'm happy that Finlay is tight-head, his strongest position. Muldoon will be immense, SOB has been simply fantastic all season and deserves his place, Tom is simply great, Jake Heenan has been such a signing, Ultan has gone from height to height with his game and its such a shame that we will lose Aly next season as he really has put his body on the line for us.

No matter what the result is tomorrow its been an incredible ride. I would love to see us finish top of the Pro12 but if we don't we can only feel huge pride in our team. So even if we lose tomorrow we still win.

I honestly cant see that change tomorrow. AJ will do what he does and challenge the line as will Kieran. TOH will carry until the last second and either pass or grubber kick (thanks God he's rock solid under the high ball as he will need to be with the weather promised), Matt does the odd kick forward and usually collects and Niyi is just pure pace. Bundee will look for any chance to run with the ball and Robbie will be rock solid in defence. So its a really good and more importantly experienced back line. They all know how each other play and trust each other. The only concern is if Ronan can step up. I'm happy that Finlay is tight-head, his strongest position. Muldoon will be immense, SOB has been simply fantastic all season and deserves his place, Tom is simply great, Jake Heenan has been such a signing, Ultan has gone from height to height with his game and its such a shame that we will lose Aly next season as he really has put his body on the line for us.

No matter what the result is tomorrow its been an incredible ride. I would love to see us finish top of the Pro12 but if we don't we can only feel huge pride in our team. So even if we lose tomorrow we still win.
    Yeah Henshaw might be the only one who'll kick the ball sometimes (like he did on Niyi try v Munster). :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

.... Robbie will be rock solid in defence.

You contradict yourself so much it's nearly as nauseating as your "wall of text" posts.

You spent the early part of this week telling us how poor a defender Henshaw is!

Just settle on one opinion. That way you won't have to argue with so many people.

• Advertisement

I fear about McGinty kicking lenght. Even Carty goes longer...

Are we talking about penalty kicking or positional kicking. Do remember the aim is a try bonus point so penalty kicking won't be crucial. If Glasgow beat us it won't be because of penalty kicking. We have an aim and we will play the game we know to achieve it. Its all out stuff or nothing. It is what we do best.

Are we talking about penalty kicking or positional kicking. Do remember the aim is a try bonus point so penalty kicking won't be crucial. If Glasgow beat us it won't be because of penalty kicking. We have an aim and we will play the game we know to achieve it. Its all out stuff or nothing. It is what we do best.
    Was talking about both.
    And one word : rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Shane did the right thing and got rid of the ball. There is no point in playing a possession game if you are on your own line.

You've been singing a completely different tune for the last 6 months.

Buer wrote: »
    Shane did the right thing and got rid of the ball. There is no point in playing a possession game if you are on your own line.

I don't get how we came to that absurd debate
    The point was just : heavy rain forseen, Glasgow team handy enough to intercept, need to kick more.
    Nothing about the global scheme of things...

Really? Possession rugby over kicking away possession. Honestly I would like for you to qoute an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

We need to clear our line a bit more often.

Not sure I want to be landing too much ball down on Hogg, Seymour, Lamont, etc...

I'm not overly impressed, Horne etc..FFS This is not an all-black team. We can do it.

Really? Possession rugby over kicking away possession. Honestly I would like for you to qoute an example.
    I think he was referring to O'leary praised

• Advertisement

I think he was referring to O'leary praised
    In relation to that we were creaking. It was the only time I have ever backed that strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Saw Pat and Edward the Avian Carnivore at the Darkness into Light run. Very nice to see on the morning of one of the biggest matches in our history.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

McCaw being his usual diplomatic self. Gets asked a loaded question and politely talks up the guy that the locals love.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    McCaw being his usual diplomatic self. Gets asked a loaded question and politely talks up the guy that the locals love.

That sort of level-headed reason is not welcome around here. Get the pitchforks, lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I'd prefer if his diplomacy went like this.
    "Smashing player. Probably one of the best players in Ireand at the moment. Huge loss to NZ. He has fully committed to Connacht and everybody is reaping the benefits of that. I'm sure Joe Schmidt can't wait to have him playing for Ireland"

• Advertisement

Lads, it's a quote made up by a hack writer. What he actually said was... "Who?"

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Number 137

You contradict yourself so much it's nearly as nauseating as your "wall of text" posts.

You spent the early part of this week telling us how poor a defender Henshaw is!

Just settle on one opinion. That way you won't have to argue with so many people.

To be fair, the punctuation was excellent though. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Weather. It's a pity. Nakawara will still carry with 1 hand! Will miss him...and Muldowney

Rucks!!! But missed!!!!!!!

MacGinty having a good game, he's an excellent tackler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Playing against 16 out there. Referee is just looking for excuses to give something against us. I don't think he knows why he's giving them half the time. Penalty count must be through the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Redo91 wrote: »
    Playing against 16 out there. Referee is just looking for excuses to give something against us. I don't think he knows why he's giving them half the time. Penalty count must be through the roof.

I think the refereeing has been fine.

Rodney where have you been. Playing a blinder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Anyone have any idea what's going on on TG4?

The trad music on tg4 is unreal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Bazzo wrote: »
    I think the refereeing has been fine.

Yep, completely fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Was there any explanation for this? On the player it just cut straight from a fan linn screen to trad hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea what's going on on TG4?

Ah here we go. That was an interesting half time experience

Rodney where have you been. Playing a blinder

Yeah he's having a blinder in the scrum and in defence a few big hits.
    The while team look really aggressive and hungry in defence which has been great.

No problems with the ref from me, one or 2 mistakes IMO but show me a ref who doesn't make mistakes and certainly none of them major

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

And he's getting worse!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement