Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

1-2 pt underdogs for the semi.

Its probably a 50/50 game.

What a season. I really didn't think they'd win and thought we were fooked when Bealham went off.
    Have my tickets for the semi. The countdown is on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

connachta wrote: »
    Certainly a stupid question as Peter Robb comes from Leinster sub-academy, but any relation?

Don't think so David Robb plays for galwegians but then again eoin & condor mckeon are cousins so I suppose it's possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Just watching it back. How many rucks did Niyi clear out. He was everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

So proud today being a Connacht supporter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Except health reason or All-Black call, even with McCloskey, Henshaw, Fitz, Ringrose, Olding, I can't see how Aki can escape to Irish cap in November 2017..

Well he may not be around by then. I guess he'll hang around if he wants to play international rugby for Ireland. He's going to get big offers from France and England in the meantime though.

• Advertisement

If the IRFU don't put a central contract in front of him this summer they will have missed a trick. They have to cash in on the current feel good factor.

Unless they feel, as a centre, we have enough indigenous talent and don't need him. I LOVE Bundee but I could see the logic of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

If the IRFU don't put a central contract in front of him this summer they will have missed a trick. They have to cash in on the current feel good factor.

Unless they feel, as a centre, we have enough indigenous talent and don't need him. I LOVE Bundee but I could see the logic of that.
    the question they have to ask themselves is : is there one talent as decisive on the pitch as Bundee is? For the moment, no

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

The 12 and 13 contacts are gone to Robbie and Payne. Also think you need to play international rugby before getting central contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

He also has another year to run on his contract. There should be more money than ever coming in to the province between now and when his contract is up. Their best bet is to squirrel away as much as possible to offer him and hope that combined with a shot at international rugby it's enough to get him to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Looking at the deal Teo got at Worcester, I shudder to think what Bundee will be offered. Plus all this talk of him getting back in with the All Blacks and his family all being at home...

I love the guy, but am resigning myself to him not sticking around. It'll be a big money move to France or England, or a return to NZ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

is the game up on tg4 player yet- i can't find it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The struggle is real today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Looking at the deal Teo got at Worcester, I shudder to think what Bundee will be offered. Plus all this talk of him getting back in with the All Blacks and his family all being at home...

I love the guy, but am resigning myself to him not sticking around. It'll be a big money move to France or England, or a return to NZ.

I really don't think anyone should be reading into McCaws comments. They were just sound bites for Irish journalists

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

its_phil wrote: »
    I really don't think anyone should be reading into McCaws comments. They were just sound bites for Irish journalists

You're right, McCaw just playing the diplomat.

I'd be much more concerned with the fact that his family remains in NZ. It's rare for someone to move to the other side of the world long term and leave their wife and young children at home. I would guess the plan is eventually to go back and play in NZ.

The lure of French money is also going to be very hard to resist and it's almost guaranteed to be offered. If Aki is to stay, Connacht will need to stump up the biggest contract in their history and some, probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Buer wrote: »
    You're right, McCaw just playing the diplomat.

I'd be much more concerned with the fact that his family remains in NZ. It's rare for someone to move to the other side of the world long term and leave their wife and young children at home. I would guess the plan is eventually to go back and play in NZ.

The lure of French money is also going to be very hard to resist and it's almost guaranteed to be offered. If Aki is to stay, Connacht will need to stump up the biggest contract in their history and some, probably.

Possibly the biggest contract in IRFU history. The English clubs will definitely be tabling north of £500k (using Teo as a guide) and the sky is the limit with the French.

Sparing some DOB style supplementation, I just don't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Possibly the biggest contract in IRFU history. The English clubs will definitely be tabling north of £500k (using Teo as a guide) and the sky is the limit with the French.

Sparing some DOB style supplementation, I just don't see it happening.

Going by his comments when he signed I'd be more worried about a NZ contract than an English or French one. He really seems to want to play international tier 1 rugby so his options are limited to stay in Ireland or go back to NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

b.gud wrote: »
    Going by his comments when he signed I'd be more worried about a NZ contract than an English or French one. He really seems to want to play international tier 1 rugby so his options are limited to stay in Ireland or go back to NZ.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth offered £500k a year.

International rugby along with his current Connacht contract supplemented with a central contract.
    That's a reasonable offer. Oher than that there are other ways the money could be spent. I'm all for keeping him, but the rest of the squad has to be paid too.

I really think the IRFU should be putting their offer together this summer to tie him in once the current contract is finished. Get their offer in before everyone else comes knocking. The security and chance to push on with Connacht and Ireland should be enough to tempt him.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭king_m

Hey All,
    Just a query does the season ticket cover the semi finals?

king_m wrote: »
    Hey All,
    Just a query does the season ticket cover the semi finals?

No but you'll get priority access to tickets tomorrow, 2 per season ticket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭king_m

Thanks Bazzo,
    Would not be a happy camper turning up to the gates on sat week ready to shout my head off and not allowed entry............:eek::eek::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

See some ridiculous talk in papers today about Glasgow game being moved to Thomond park.

Brendan Fanning seems to have started this story from his article in today's Sunday Indo. Zero chance of this happening and why would Connacht give up home advantage in order to get more people in to see game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

mjp wrote: »
    See some ridiculous talk in papers today about Glasgow game being moved to Thomond park.

Brendan Fanning seems to have started this story from his article in today's Sunday Indo. Zero chance of this happening and why would Connacht give up home advantage in order to get more people in to see game.
    It would be hilarious if we went down to the Debt Star and it was the highest attendance they had all season there;)

Digs aside, its a ridiculous idea and the SG has already been confirmed as the venue, wouldnt be fair on away fans to change now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

International rugby along with his current Connacht contract supplemented with a central contract.
    That's a reasonable offer. Oher than that there are other ways the money could be spent. I'm all for keeping him, but the rest of the squad has to be paid too.

I really think the IRFU should be putting their offer together this summer to tie him in once the current contract is finished. Get their offer in before everyone else comes knocking. The security and chance to push on with Connacht and Ireland should be enough to tempt him.

When is he IQ? not a hope of getting a central contract till then and its either a central contract or a provincial one not both, the reality is if its just money connacht/irfu won't have a hope of signing him on again so it needs to be the lure of international football or his love of Ireland there isn't much more he can be offered here in the long term.

salmocab wrote: »
    When is he IQ? not a hope of getting a central contract till then and its either a central contract or a provincial one not both, the reality is if its just money connacht/irfu won't have a hope of signing him on again so it needs to be the lure of international football or his love of Ireland there isn't much more he can be offered here in the long term.

He is IN in 2017. I am talking about offering him a contract to start in 2017.
    My understanding of central contacts is the IRFU cover the first €100,000 or so and the province cover the rest.

International rugby has to be the main selling point, but a contract up until 2020 would also be great security for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He is IN in 2017. I am talking about offering him a contract to start in 2017.
    My understanding of central contacts is the IRFU cover the first €100,000 or so and the province cover the rest.

International rugby has to be the main selling point, but a contract up until 2020 would also be great security for him.

Im sure someone will be along who knows for sure but I think the central contract is all payed by the irfu, but regardless can't see a central contract for someone who's not yet played for Ireland let alone become IQ. Id say Connacht will be on their own in this. Even if it is for when he's Qualified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Seven Connacht players make the Pro 12 XV for the season (Buckley, McCartney, Bealham, Dillane, Marmion, Aki and Healy). Pat Lam coach of the year, Bundee player of the year and Muldoon gets the chairman's award.

Not bad.

Good day for Connacht at the Pro12 Awards
    Buckley , Tom, Finlay, Dillane, Marmion, Bundee and Healy in Team of Season
    Muldoon wins Chairpersons Player of Season
    Lam wins Coach of the Season
    Bundee wins Players Player of Season
    (makes his IRUPA snub all the more bizarre)

I remember years ago being delighted that Fionn Carr got in the Team of the Season
    Now we have 7... And the coach and player's player (and ofcourse chairman's player - which I think is contribution to the rugby community and the league)

This season is fncking nuts lad's - and it's not over yet!!

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Muldoon wins Chairpersons Player of Season

This award is so appropriate. He always is so down to earth and generous with himself.

I was watching as the players crossed over to the main stand side yesterday. He stood there clapping the crowd for a minute but then made his way over and shook the hand of each ball boy.
    I thought that was classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Except health reason or All-Black call, even with McCloskey, Henshaw, Fitz, Ringrose, Olding, I can't see how Aki can escape to Irish cap in November 2017..

I wouldn't worry about that - as long as Bundee is playing outside of NZ, he isn't eligible for NZ. So if he actually wanted to play for NZ (which I doubt), he would have to head back home...play a season of Super Rugby...and then hope his form would have him ahead of the current established AB centres...and any other emerging talent. He would probably take a pay-cut to head back home too. NZ is lucky enough to produce enough good players that a centre playing well in the Pro 12 isn't going to have the NZRFU looking for loopholes in their rules.

One of his main reasons in signing for Connacht was the chance to play international rugby, and I doubt he just throws that away, unless there is a massive gap between what Connacht/IRFU offer, and what a French or UK club does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Seven Connacht players make the Pro 12 XV for the season (Buckley, McCartney, Bealham, Dillane, Marmion, Aki and Healy). Pat Lam coach of the year, Bundee player of the year and Muldoon gets the chairman's award.

Not bad.

Well deserved by those connacht players, by Pat Lam and in partucilarl Muldoon getting the chairman's award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Not bad.

How come Dillane is in the team ahead of Muldowney. Has he started more than 10 games? Bealham only developed in the last few months of the season. I also thought Marmion had a poor season upto the last month or so.

All others well deserved.

I guess when your team is playing well you are more likely to get picked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

How come Dillane is in the team ahead of Muldowney. Has he started more than 10 games? Bealham only developed in the last few months of the season. I also thought Marmion had a poor season upto the last month or so.

All others well deserved.

I guess when your team is playing well you are more likely to get picked.

Muldowneys omission is very very strange but I'm guessing the Ireland call up did it for Dillane

Your being harsh on Bealham, he played in every game this season and has been noticeably improved all season, and getting ever stronger

Marm played below his standards in some games this year but I thought he was tidy enough and has noticeably improved his kicking when he uses the boot. What scrumhalf would be ahead of Marmion that meets the criteria?

I think Marmion has been great all season. Or at least I've been harping on about him being pretty consistently good all season, mostly in relation to Ireland when he's getting flak for not being good enough to be in the national side. Freyners is right, no other scrum half that meets the criteria has been better than him. Webb is a superb talent but has played very few games in the pro 12 this year.

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    I think Marmion has been great all season. Or at least I've been harping on about him being pretty consistently good all season, mostly in relation to Ireland when he's getting flak for not being good enough to be in the national side. Freyners is right, no other scrum half that meets the criteria has been better than him. Webb is a superb talent but has played very few games in the pro 12 this year.
    was about to say the same about Webb

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Oh ****ing joy, the ticketing system appears to have calved.

I do think Cooney kicking game in the end was very useful to release the pressure a little bit. That's a balanced team, attacking everything with McGinty/Marmion for an hour, and kicking slightly more when bodies are tired with Cooney/O'Leary

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

Robbo wrote: »
    Oh ****ing joy, the ticketing system appears to have calved.
    It's not just me panicking then....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

Both phone and website not working

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Getting "Please wait..." for the last 5 minutes from the purchase page.

Severely annoying that people were apparently able to buy tickets yesterday in excess of what they should have been allocated.

Robbo wrote: »
    Severely annoying that people were apparently able to buy tickets yesterday in excess of what they should have been allocated.
    No it was two per ticket yesterday as well. Was closed down before I found out about it as well. The person that said he could buy 12, had two adults, and four junior tickets. So still the 2x6.

Still no joy. And apparently a queue of people out the door in the office in Galway.

lostboy75 wrote: »
    No it was two per ticket yesterday as well. Was closed down before I found out about it as well. The person that said he could buy 12, had two adults, and four junior tickets. So still the 2x6.
    Ah not quite the nightmare I had in mind.

fmIjntT.png
    “Gimme, uh, thirty-thousand tickets.” – Scalper
    “That’ll be nine-hundred and fifty thousand dollars, please.” – Ticket Lady
    “Look, thing about that is, I only got ten dollars on me. Can I pay you the rest later?” – Scalper
    “Sure.” – Ticket Lady

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Ok guys let's all form an orderly queue and log on to the site one at a time.

I'm at the top of the queue but I'll let you know when I'm finished :)

Nuh-uh, you cut in front of my electrons.

To be completely fair, let's go alphabetically, starting at a random letter, let's say, L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

So is the website still down? I guess it's off into the Sportsground I go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Anyone got any yet that went online this morning?

Redo91 wrote: »
    So is the website still down? I guess it's off into the Sportsground I go!
    Can the clubhouse sell tickets if the site is down? Is it not all integrated?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement