Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Is it too late? So sad I couldn't get one:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

There's the ability to put in seats either side of the main stand would have been an extra 1000 or so without effecting space in the main stand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/730730962166927360

I think we should all take a moment to appreciate the fact that Connacht are doing press for a home Pro12 semi final that sold out in hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

connachta wrote: »
    I've guessed someone would say that, probably true, but at least it reduces the chances of being severe compared to a straight blackout, doesn't it?
    There is still no full understanding of concussion in sport at the moment so had to emphasis the above.

TBH, i don't know enough about the subject to guess what correlation there is between severity and instances of blackout. From my own personal experience when I played rugby I've seen and unfortunately experienced both types of results from head knocks. Based on my own experience after both, the one I remained conscious was far worse in terms of ill effects and recovery. That on its own is meaningless as it was not the same type of impact or location to head nor did i receive the same standard test/treatment after, but it does show that conscious doesnt equal less severe in all cases.

One thing I would say is that if someone blackouts for more than a couple of seconds its recognised straight away and the person receives immediate treatment. Where someone takes what looks like a minor knock they might not be treated until play breaksdown and inflict further damage, which could make it far more severe than a blackout event

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

freyners wrote: »
    I've guessed someone would say that, probably true, but at least it reduces the chances of being severe compared to a straight blackout, doesn't it?
    There is still no full understanding of concussion in sport at the moment so had to emphasis the above.

TBH, i don't know enough about the subject to guess what correlation there is between severity and instances of blackout. From my own personal experience when I played rugby I've seen and unfortunately experienced both types of results from head knocks. Based on my own experience after both, the one I remained conscious was far worse in terms of ill effects and recovery. That on its own is meaningless as it was not the same type of impact or location to head nor did i receive the same standard test/treatment after, but it does show that conscious doesnt equal less severe in all cases.

One thing I would say is that if someone blackouts for more than a couple of seconds its recognised straight away and the person receives immediate treatment. Where someone takes what looks like a minor knock they might not be treated until play breaksdown and inflict further damage, which could make it far more severe than a blackout event

Thanks (not for being desparately cautious about Bealham) but for sharing your analysis ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Haha, is that Muldoon? Must have been on a tight schedule for the photoshoot in Edinburgh, no time to change!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Is that an erie prediction of the final....... The Green of Connacht walking all over the blue of Leinster.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Website selling Connacht car flags etc. No affiliation, but figured I'd share the link because it would be nice to see some flags being flown around the province to support the lads:

http://www.teamcarflagireland.com/c/connacht-rugby/70

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Having been held up a ridiculous amount of time by security in Edinburgh airport before, I applaud his approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Sitting down to watch the challenge cup final and most happy we are not there. Had said I was happy we lost against Grenoble and I stand firm on that. We have a week off to regroup for the most significant weeks we have ever faced. And while we are in new territory I don't care. I want us to win. I want us to be first seeds in Europe. I want MORE :-)

Sitting down to watch the challenge cup final and most happy we are not there. Had said I was happy we lost against Grenoble and I stand firm on that. We have a week off to regroup for the most significant weeks we have ever faced. And while we are in new territory I don't care. I want us to win. I want us to be first seeds in Europe. I want MORE :-)
    100% agree

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

I admire his commitment but cant help but feel there is a little bit of short term thinking here. Can a fractured fibula really heal correctly in such a short space of time and does this speeding up compromise things?

Adbrowne wrote: »
    I admire his commitment but cant help but feel there is a little bit of short term thinking here. Can a fractured fibula really heal correctly in such a short space of time and does this speeding up compromise things?
    short term? when was the last time we qualified for the semis of the pro12. joe wont select him for ireland for joe's reasons (nobody else can understand it). so he doesnt have to worry about irish rugby. so why would he not want to be involved in something spectacular.

short term? when was the last time we qualified for the semis of the pro12. joe wont select him for ireland for joe's reasons (nobody else can understand it). so he doesnt have to worry about irish rugby. so why would he not want to be involved in something spectacular.

and what happens if he plays and gets re-injured and is out for 6 months. SOB as an example clearly wasnt 100% in the french game and hasnt been seen since. I often wonder if the idea of speeding up a healing process creates a superficial heal which just creates longer term injury problems

Adbrowne wrote: »

and what happens if he plays and gets re-injured and is out for 6 months. SOB as an example clearly wasnt 100% in the french game and hasnt been seen since. I often wonder if the idea of speeding up a healing process creates a superficial heal which just creates longer term injury problems
    1-2 games to play, then 2 months rest. Time to take some risks to make history

1-2 games to play, then 2 months rest. Time to take some risks to make history
    Bang on connachta

• Advertisement

Granted would go with a dodgy ankle as compared to an hia which is very much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

People have been forced to retire with dodgy ankles. If the leg isn't fully recovered, he shouldn't be near the pitch in case he causes further damage. A prop requires full mobility and flexibility when the squeeze comes on.

I hope he has someone with a brain in his ear rather than someone telling him a Pro12 semi final is worth putting himself in jeopardy with short term thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Can't believe what I'm reading lads
    Players career's are short enough without them being sent out while still injured
    Pat Lam talks big about "culture" - I'm fairly certain the culture of Connacht would not allow for something as reckless as ye are advocating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

There's no way he plays unless he's 100% sure they are recovered. The medical staff would be negligent in their duty of care if it was any other way. Everything possible will be done to get him fit but I'd say it's 80 20 against right now.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Players career's are short enough without them being sent out while still injured
    Pat Lam talks big about "culture" - I'm fairly certain the culture of Connacht would not allow for something as reckless as ye are advocating
    Funny but what you describe is exactly the type of damage aki was allowed to incur by one said pat lam. It was clearly obvious that he was injured but being carried by adrenalin. Yet not replaced.

I do not suggest (nor those connachta) that Denis should play if injured. What we both suggest is a desire to play if available. Nothing else.

Don't know if you are familiar with such an injury. Have played through the exact same pain barrier. Then unable to walk the following day or following week. Nothing revolutionary about it. However you expect a professional coach to understand the damage incurred. Once knee is damaged aki should have been replaced. Then he would have been available for Treviso game. Poor management.

The guy inside me fractured his leg but it was only identified after the game. that was the pashun. looking at it so many years later maybe it was stupid, but our coach inspired us and we were driven. i still look back on those days and say they were the best of my life

Correction: until the 2am, 4am, 5.20am, 6.30am baby calls followed by the 7am alarm clock for work. Used to enjoy the state of the dads at work until I became one. Thank god they are all grown up now and the only issue is will they arrive in at 2am, 4am, 5.20am or 6.30am or not even bother turning up at all. This is the parental boards thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

wp_rathead wrote: »

In fairness I don't think anyone is saying send him out injured but there are levels of injury that a player can withstand. Any player will have to prove his fitness before the game anyway.

I've played games myself where you don't feel 100% but you put up with it because it's a big game. Either way you have to pass a fitness test or it's all immaterial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

http://www.balls.ie/rugby/robbie-henshaw-laptop/333433

This sounds more like a skit from a comedy show than real life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Bazzo wrote: »

INB4 pavee point asking for an apology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

If anyone is interested in getting private bus and Ferry to Edinburgh for potential final have a look here and vote:
    http://www.connachtclan.com/clan-forum/5-flights-tickets-and-foreign-fields/28709-potential-edinburgh-bus-please-vote-again#44370

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Bazzo wrote: »

Fair play to them, shouldn't be taking the law into their own hands my ar5e.

Seems like a pretty dense move, to be honest.

What was the best thing that was going to happen? The Gardaí had to be brought in anyway to sort it out for him to get the laptop back so they were hardly successful. Worst case scenario, it kicked off and it escalates with a player getting a smack or hitting someone and getting in hot water.

Buer wrote: »
    Seems like a pretty dense move, to be honest.

What was the best thing that was going to happen? The Gardaí had to be brought in anyway to sort it out for him to get the laptop back so they were hardly successful. Worst case scenario, it kicked off and it escalates with a player getting a smack or hitting someone and getting in hot water.

yeah was thinking someone produces a golf club or baseball bat and a connacht player is out for 6 months with a broken leg or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

It mightnt have been the best idea in the world but I doubt they would have got it back otherwise. Gardai unlikely to get search warrant for laptop I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Blackclaret

They'd never get the LT back any other way, you can't have pond life like that taking the p155, once they were tipped of they had to act or lose face big-time. There be songs writ about before he's finished. Would say Robbie will have job rounding upa few lads next year

They'd never get the LT back any other way, you can't have pond life like that taking the p155, once they were tipped of they had to act or lose face big-time. There be songs writ about before he's finished. Would say Robbie will have job rounding upa few lads next year

• Advertisement

What are you trying to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I wish he had just said that to begin with.

Don't think pat will be impressed. If it weren't such a crucial stage of the season he probably would have sat all involved players down. And maybe he still will do so. And if he did I wouldn't object. Its ludicrous behaviour and not in line with what Connacht represents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Don't think pat will be impressed. If it weren't such a crucial stage of the season he probably would have sat all involved players down. And maybe he still will do so. And if he did I wouldn't object. Its ludicrous behaviour and not in line with what Connacht represents.

And they're definitely going to get a talking to about this from Pat. You can't be doing that, it doesn't reflect well on Connacht or Irish rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

It wouldn't be like a news paper to embelish a bit no?
    Storm in a tea cup I say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

evil_seed wrote: »
    It wouldn't be like a news paper to embelish a bit no?
    Storm in a tea cup I say

I don't think the facts are in dispute.

It's a funny story but also could have got seriously out of hand. Not the brightest idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement