Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

My main issue is that they didn't wear the Green Lantern Jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

evil_seed wrote: »
    It wouldn't be like a news paper to embelish a bit no?
    Storm in a tea cup I say

...there are videos of the incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

http://www.rugby.net/g/PRO12.html

Connacht players are prettty dominant. Obviously stats don't paint the complete picture and should only be used as an indicator...

but still :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Bazzo wrote: »
    http://www.rugby.net/g/PRO12.html

Connacht players are prettty dominant. Obviously stats don't paint the complete picture and should only be used as an indicator...

but still :D

Kind of forgot it in the hype of getting seven on the team of the year but a reminder of how unlucky Muldowney was not to get a spot and how often generally he is overlooked. With the exception of Murray Kinsella he rarely gets the praise his performances deserve.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Kind of forgot it in the hype of getting seven on the team of the year but a reminder of how unlucky Muldowney was not to get a spot and how often generally he is overlooked. With the exception of Murray Kinsella he rarely gets the praise his performances deserve.

Definitely has had an unreal seaosn, seems to be hitting a real Indian summer of form. I get the feeling we'll miss him more than Henshaw next year tbh.

Also worth noting that Muldoon only dropped out of the top spot for flankers because he's been playing number 8 recently, and has quickly climbed half way up that list in the few weeks he's been there. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Fair play to them ,but bit if a rush of blood me thinks.ironically from mammy Mcdonagh to say that they were not professional and taking the law into their own hands.
    Glad it was sorted out.
    Now on to the semi !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

seanin4711 wrote: »
    Fair play to them ,but bit if a rush of blood me thinks.ironically from mammy Mcdonagh to say that they were not professional and taking the law into their own hands.
    Glad it was sorted out.
    Now on to the semi !!!!

Seanin!!! Where you been bro?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Seanin!!! Where you been bro?

He's been off celebrating the season.

50f06e87afa96f2f45000052.jpg?w=400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Buer wrote: »
    He's been off celebrating the season.

Dude NSFW!!! am surrounded by wimen, and gone a funny colour....

• Advertisement

Buer

You love it more that me, good lad

Season not over yet,
    Great performances but nothing won as yet.

We pug ourselves in the mix for silverware now let's seal it by getting to at least a final.
    Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Buckley and White unavailable, seasons most likely over. Bealham, Rodney and Ronaldson all available Poolman unavailable

As expected for Buckley and White really. Great news that both Rodney and Bealham have recovered, Bealham/McCartney/Ah You to start then with JP Cooney & Saba? on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Hell-No-Meme-Gif-26.gif

Bazzo wrote: »
    As expected for Buckley and White really. Great news that both Rodney and Bealham have recovered, Bealham/McCartney/Ah You to start then with JP Cooney & Saba? on the bench.

Wonder what's the story with Loughney? It looked like something that would end his season, but no word yet of him in the injury update. Also when is O'Donnell due back? Saw an interview lately where he was talking about going to the JWC so he might not be far off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

b.gud wrote: »
    Wonder what's the story with Loughney? It looked like something that would end his season, but no word yet of him in the injury update. Also when is O'Donnell due back? Saw an interview lately where he was talking about going to the JWC so he might not be far off

Loughney is listed as available

Ronan Loughney
    Prop Ronan Loughney has recovered from the shoulder injury sustained in the last game and is available for selection this week.

Ah, fair enough, I presumed Loughney was out for the season. That makes the selection a little more interesting, he was able to hold his own against the Glasgow scrum the last day, but if Rodney can pull out another performance I think I'd still go for. 1. Bealham 3. Ah You 17. Loughney 18. JP Cooney

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Loughney is listed as available

Ronan Loughney
    Prop Ronan Loughney has recovered from the shoulder injury sustained in the last game and is available for selection this week.

Cheers, hadn't seen they put up the update on the site was just going on Twitter update

Here are the appoinments for the match this weekend

Referee: Marius Mitrea (FIR, 53rd competition game)
    Assistant Referees: Nigel Owens (WRU) Stefano Penne (FIR)
    Citing Commissioner: Gwyn Bowden (WRU)
    TMO: Carlo Damasco (FIR)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Mitrea and Nigel Owens - fnckin nice wan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

wp_rathead wrote: »

Two best officials in the league in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Ya just needed Whitehouse as the other assistant ref and we've the dream team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm just glad it's not Leighton Hodges!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Some rumours that Bath might be interested in Pat Lam to replace Mike Ford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Some rumours that Bath might be interested in Pat Lam to replace Mike Ford.

He only Resigned with Connacht.

FACECUTTR wrote: »

Bath have huge money. If they're genuinely interested, they could well afford to buy out the contract.

Lam's comments were somewhat cryptic when asked about the rumours:
    “Just make sure you finish your life you love to do and I’m fortunate enough to be doing a job I love to do. Where that would be, I totally understand that I’ve got two more years here.

“I know there’s clauses and all that sort of stuff, but ultimately if I look too far ahead you’ve all sorts going on in front. Mate, we’re in a fickle job, it’s professional rugby and you don’t know what’s around the corner.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

wp_rathead wrote: »

If there were an award for "most improved ref" I'd give it to Mitrea.

He had a fairly shaky start a few years ago but he's grown into a solid ref.

FACECUTTR wrote: »

I feel like this word requires a hyphen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Not exactly the resounding 'nothing to it' response Connacht supporters might have been hoping for from Pat there. I figured there might be an issue in that he might get the Ireland job if Schmidt decides to go next year (it's him or Kiss really) but to lose him even sooner would be very disappointing.

Also, I'd imagine the likes of Heenan would be quite disappointed having apparently been talked into sticking around by Pat a few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

This is a non story.
    Bundee Aki was asked after the last game if he is staying in Connacht. He said he has one more year left and then he will see.
    It's a very fickle business to be in and you have to keep your cards close to your chest. If Lam or Bundee were to say they love Connacht/Galway/Ireland, then more than likely they will not get a great deal when their contract expires.

• Advertisement

eezipc wrote: »
    If Lam or Bundee were to say they love Connacht/Galway/Ireland, then more than likely they will not get a great deal when their contract expires.

It wouldn't have any influence. Their agents would be at the table negotiating on their part. They hold the cards in terms of bigger offers from England and France. No agent is going to be low balled because their client said they love Galway; it would be passed off as a simple PR comment.

In fact, it could be argued that it would have the opposite impact. It would create a public perception that they'd like to stay but the IRFU just needs to make them the offer they deserve which would ramp up pressure on the money men.

In the case of Aki, I would not be surprised in the least to see him sign a one season extension with Connacht at the end of his current deal. This would allow him a lot of flexibility. He'll get capped in that one season which would allow him to sit back down at the table towards the end of the 2017/18 season and can leverage a central deal if a test career has been successful or will be very well placed for a big money move to France at 28 years old as a test rugby player.

Connacht are launching their Vision and strategy from 2016-2020 today at the Aviva, here'e the team goals

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/732874209886666753

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm guessing indigenous means players from Connacht. So 30% of players not pilfered from overseas and other academies :p

I'm guessing indigenous means players from Connacht. So 30% of players not pilfered from overseas and other academies :p

I know you're comment was a bit tongue in cheek but I was kinda wondering that myself. If it's players who came through the academy regardless of where they were born, we're easily there. If it's player who were born in the province we're probably not too far off.

Buckley, Heffernan, Loughney, Browne, Muldoon, SOB, McKeon, Blade, Carty, TOH Would all be in or around the match day 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

b.gud wrote: »
    I know you're comment was a bit tongue in cheek but I was kinda wondering that myself. If it's players who came through the academy regardless of where they were born, we're easily there. If it's player who were born in the province we're probably not too far off.

Buckley, Heffernan, Loughney, Browne, Muldoon, SOB, McKeon, Blade, Carty, TOH Would all be in or around the match day 23.

That's a good point actually. I'm guessing it's Connacht born and bread because just academy products would be a bit of an easy target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

"Critical assessment of contracting RoI"??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Whats contracting RoI?

Was wondering the same thing myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Is there anything in there about match-day facilities and what-not?

• Advertisement

Assuming ROI means return on investment im guessing it means the amount of minutes they get out of each player vs the amount of each contract or something similar

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Is there anything in there about match-day facilities and what-not?

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/732878527578640384

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

freyners wrote: »
    Assuming ROI means return on investment im guessing it means the amount of minutes they get out of each player vs the amount of each contract or something similar

Fair enough. I'd really hope that's already going on anyway though.

The management nerd in me says that it's pointless saying what you're going to do without having a hard measure of the outcome - this is not a measurable goal, unlike the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Winters wrote: »

Considering Connacht dont have the player base nor the volume of AIL clubs enjoyed by the other 3 provinces I think 30% of the players being from the provinces is a good goal to start out. Hopefully if the club game becomes stronger that target can be raised

Major assumption granted that 30% means connacht bred

Fair enough. I'd really hope that's already going on anyway though.

The management nerd in me says that it's pointless saying what you're going to do without having a hard measure of the outcome - this is not a measurable goal, unlike the others.

Ya its seems very waffley. Is it vs an IRFU quota or internally set. How is the target set, what other ways are being assessed

Spot the person studying accounting exams :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I was assuming it meant the province.

Considering Connacht had at least 5 indigenous players out against Glasgow I would have thought 40% to 50% would have been a better target. Point taken though.

ToH, Henshaw, Loughney, SoB and Mul counted as 33%, adding Marmion and Dillane and would make it 47%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I feel like this word requires a hyphen

Indeed it does !

Winters wrote: »
    I was assuming it meant the province.

Considering Connacht had at least 5 indigenous players out against Glasgow I would have thought 40% to 50% would have been a better target. Point taken though.

ToH, Henshaw, Loughney, SoB and Mul counted as 33%, adding Marmion and Dillane and would make it 47%.

It refers to the squad though. The squad on Wikipedia (the Connacht homepage is just too horrible to deal with) has 12 indigenous players from 40. The academy has 10 indigenous from 21. Henshaw is about to leave. Muldoon won't be around in 2020. Loughney will probably be gone.

They'll need to recruit local players heavily into the academy and see a good return on them making the step up to the senior squad to make 30-40%. It's a good target. I think 50% wouldn't be realistic from where they're at now.

Was just coming to post a similar link. I really like they way they are talking about the new stadium. 10k seems like a reasonable amount, 1st preference is to stay where they are, potentially to gradually grow capacity as needed. Let's hope it works out

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement