Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Getting to Edinburgh or anywhere close is nigh on impossible now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Those flights from Dublin aren't actually operated by Aer Lingus at all, it's Stobart Air, who are basically a franchise who pay to use the Aer Lingus branding. So, switching the aircraft to a mainline Aer Lingus Airbus wouldn't have been an option anyway.

It looks like Aer Lingus might have done just that, or at least have put on some sort of additional flight.

Take a look at @OLSCRugby's Tweet: https://twitter.com/OLSCRugby/status/734710297982816256?s=09

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

EasyJet have flights from Belfast to Edinburgh for not too expensive a price. There's currently 36 people looking at the flights and they're selling seats as I look at the website :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Aer lingus have an extra flight going over on Saturday about 149 dunnow how get home

GoBus are doing a 129 return bus Friday night to Sunday evening

Still a few seats left to Glasgow on the flying soup can out of Donegal airport. Fri-Sun €168

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Aer lingus have an extra flight going over on Saturday about 149 dunnow how get home

GoBus are doing a 129 return bus Friday night to Sunday evening

Is that going from Galway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I have spare tickets available in the Clan section.
    After doing folks a favour in getting them match tickets last Sunday morning, they're now unable to get a workable route to Edinburgh while also taking into account work/kids/etc.

Long story short, I have two pairs of tickets in W18, three rows from the front of the top tier in with the rest of the rowdy Clan who bought Sunday morning.

PM me if interested, face value of £35 each.

I'll be in Edinburgh from lunchtime Saturday, so can meet then, or if Galway based, can do so ahead of travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Thanks for that Connemara man. That's me sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

GoBus have filled 4 buses now for their magical mystery tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

For those unaware former Saracens (boooo) and Connacht (woo) hooker ethienne reynecke is now a sa based pundit. Interesting wee article on the similarities between the two clubs mentioned above. Worth a read although its kinda rambling. He write fairly regularly and I think he is pretty decent for a man starting off in his new career. In twitter he has been actively following both clubs so he is speaking from knowledge

http://www.rugby365.com/opinion/second-phase/73161-why-rome-wasn-t-built-in-a-day

Someone went to a lot of effort to create this.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFwQhytAR-z/

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

I've a flight out to Scotland and match ticket if anyone is interested? Flight out is Dublin to Glasgow Saturday morning 07:20 with Ryanair.
    Match ticket is in the Connacht season ticket holders allocation in the East Stand section 12 row c Platinum.
    Can provide proof of the flight and match ticket if required.
    Will let them go for €160. Can sell the match ticket separately if wanted.

Weather forecast for weekend looks promising.. Nothing more bothering than that burger with the rain dripping off on all sides and then your expected to feel in the right frame of mind to shout for your team :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

If anyone is buying flights off someone, particularly Ryanair don't forget that the charges to change the name can be around €200 so bear that in mind when considering how much it'll cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bobo the clown

Well lads. I have a 4 bed private hostel room booked just off grassmarket. It is €280 for Saturday and Sunday night. Let me know if you are interested. Not sure about transferring name but I will be heading over myself so I can check in with you if needed. Any interest in it please PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 allyano16

Ferry from Belfast to Cairnryan now sold out, booked a car with 4 ppl to travel on 7.30am sailing, me thinking ferrys don't sell out I told one of the lads I had a spare seat he could take he sorts tickets and accom, I get told theres no capacity left on the boat :confused::eek::( - Chuck him in the boot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I have spare tickets available in the Clan section.
    After doing folks a favour in getting them match tickets last Sunday morning, they're now unable to get a workable route to Edinburgh while also taking into account work/kids/etc.

Long story short, I have two pairs of tickets in W18, three rows from the front of the top tier in with the rest of the rowdy Clan who bought Sunday morning.

PM me if interested, face value of £35 each.

I'll be in Edinburgh from lunchtime Saturday, so can meet then, or if Galway based, can do so ahead of travelling.

We're looking for 3 tickets together Cormac, feck all left on the Connacht allocation atm. working 14 hour days in a remote location this week so won't be able to check back here til late tomorrow night, but we might be able to take them off you.

Zzippy wrote: »
    We're looking for 3 tickets together Cormac, feck all left on the Connacht allocation atm. working 14 hour days in a remote location this week so won't be able to check back here til late tomorrow night, but we might be able to take them off you.

I think I have someone taking them I'm afraid, was due to hear back definite numbers from him tonight but haven't yet.
    I then have two more asking to get single tickets, so if first guy passes, that would just leave two together.
    I'll keep you next in line, will let you know when I get a definitive response if there's anything left.
    Should have an answer by the time you check back here tomorrow night.

Do the tickets for the Pro12 final only go on sale once the SF's are over? Or is it like the Champions Cup where you can buy tickets in advance?

There's tickets on Stub Hub for sale, if anyone's still looking.

http://www.stubhub.co.uk/guinness-pro12-final-tickets-guinness-pro12-final---edinburgh-2016-edinburgh-murrayfield-stadium-28-5-2016/event/9582413/?mbox=1&qtyq=false

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Do the tickets for the Pro12 final only go on sale once the SF's are over? Or is it like the Champions Cup where you can buy tickets in advance?

There's tickets on Stub Hub for sale, if anyone's still looking.

http://www.stubhub.co.uk/guinness-pro12-final-tickets-guinness-pro12-final---edinburgh-2016-edinburgh-murrayfield-stadium-28-5-2016/event/9582413/?mbox=1&qtyq=false

Herald reported two weeks ago that 30000 were sold. So would assume they have been on sale a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Hi lads,

I have a hostel room in St Christophers Hostel for Friday and Saturday night that I will no longer be requiring.
    It is in a 10 bed ensuite room and 60 GBP total for the two nights.

There is no cost to change the name. This will be available until 6pm.

zzippy wrote:

I think I have someone taking them I'm afraid, was due to hear back definite numbers from him tonight but haven't yet.
    I then have two more asking to get single tickets, so if first guy passes, that would just leave two together.
    I'll keep you next in line, will let you know when I get a definitive response if there's anything left.
    Should have an answer by the time you check back here tomorrow night.

I definitely have 2 tickets left, possibly the 3 you need. Let me know when you're back online and I'll hopefully have definite numbers for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

5 lads in the squad for SA tour. Still no Matt Healy :eek:. Is he the new old Fionn Carr in that respect?

I'm not going to bother questioning lads there were left out.
    There will be plenty of over-reaction to come from others I'm sure.

Connacht having the same no. of squad members as Munster is interesting.
    Surely a first?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

evil_seed wrote: »
    5 lads in the squad for SA tour. Still no Matt Healy :eek:. Is he the new old Fionn Carr in that respect?

He's a better wing than Carr ever was, imo. Carr was a lethal finisher but weak in other aspects. Healy has much better vision & distribution (as shown from full back against Grenoble) and despite some people questioning his defence, it's underrated imo, he made a few excellent hits against Glasgow in the last two games.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to about Connacht being in the champions cup is the opportunity for the likes of Buckley, Masterson (when hes back) Healy, TOH, etc to prove they can perform at a higher level than pro12.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    evil_seed wrote: »

... despite some people questioning his defence, it's underrated imo, he made a few excellent hits against Glasgow in the last two games.

One of the things I'm most looking forward to about Connacht being in the champions cup is the opportunity for the likes of Buckley, Masterson (when hes back) Healy, TOH, etc to prove they can perform at a higher level than pro12.

I previously thought, despite his undoubted attacking strengths, Healy was a poor defender.
    The sight of the Zebre back row running away from him in Italy had me doubting his desire to tackle at all.
    However, he did put in some good tackles against some rather big players on Saturday so here is hoping it continues.

I saw someone casting aspersions on Adeolokun's defence earlier. That is plain ridiculous, for a winger he is a tackling machine. Some of the hits he puts in are phenomenal.

Buckley was name checked as being unavailable for selection along with Zebo, Bowe, Healy, O'Brien and van der Flier so it looks to me like he's definitely on the radar and is hugely unlucky to miss out with his injury.

I previously thought, despite his undoubted attacking strengths, Healy was a poor defender.
    The sight of the Zebre back row running away from him in Italy had me doubting his desire to tackle at all.
    However, he did put in some good tackles against some rather big players on Saturday so here is hoping it continues.

I saw someone casting aspersions on Adeolokun's defence earlier. That is plain ridiculous, for a winger he is a tackling machine. Some of the hits he puts in are phenomenal.

Yeah I recall that sight too. To be fair Healy had made a good few lung bursting runs at that stage. Weird game too, Connacht seemed content enough to let Zebre score, confident that they would end up scoring more.

Saturday will be a good test for him, with all the talk (justified) about Niyi, Healy is kind of coming in under the radar, have a suspicion it could be a very good day for him.

Niyi''s progress has been astonishing, second season of professional rugby, incredible. Rock solid defence, hits rucks and pace to burn. To be honest at the start of last season I thought he might turn out to be fine for squad depth purposes but no more than that. His defence has come on in bounds since then.

I though Healy played really well against Glasgow the last day he was just overshadowed by Niyi's performance.

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    I though Healy played really well against Glasgow the last day he was just overshadowed by Niyi's performance.

Yeah the scoring passes just seem to have been arriving onto Niyi's wing lately rather than Healy's .

I find it odd that Connacht fans get more annoyed about Healy's omissions than Adeolokun's. I've seen Healy's name mentioned constantly in the Ireland thread this season, along with TOH. Healy is very good but like Gilroy he's not the kind of winger Schmidt likes to use. You can argue the merits of that all you like but it's a fact. Adeolokun, on the other hand, is exactly the kind of winger Joe likes. Even as a non Connacht fan, generally speaking, I would be championing Adeolokun for Ireland over Healy.

I find it odd that Connacht fans get more annoyed about Healy's omissions than Adeolokun's. I've seen Healy's name mentioned constantly in the Ireland thread this season, along with TOH. Healy is very good but like Gilroy he's not the kind of winger Schmidt likes to use. You can argue the merits of that all you like but it's a fact. Adeolokun, on the other hand, is exactly the kind of winger Joe likes. Even as a non Connacht fan, generally speaking, I would be championing Adeolokun for Ireland over Healy.

It's because Niyi has come on leaps and bounds over the course of the season. He would have been lucky to get a bench spot in September, and as recently as Christmas it would have been a coin toss between himself and Poolman. The rate he's improving at has been huge.

Healy on the other hand had an excellent season last season and another one this year.

What Bazzo said. If Niyi sustains this level or improves further until next January there will be plenty of calls for his inclusion.

I find it odd that Connacht fans get more annoyed about Healy's omissions than Adeolokun's.

Healy IMO has been much better this season overall. Niyi was behind Poolman for much of the season and has only really started coming into his own very recently. He's come on leaps and bounds but he was still quite raw. Still is in certain ways but he's improving all the time.

Between the strategy last week and now this video the commercial set up at Connacht is really squeezing every drop of value out of the current attention the province is getting. Great video too, really well done.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IT22m4F7vnk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭typhoony

Between the strategy last week and now this video the commercial set up at Connacht is really squeezing every drop of value out of the current attention the province is getting. Great video too, really well done.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IT22m4F7vnk

Am i the only one who finds this sugar coated version of rugby in connacht a bit worrying/misleading. All the success of the team means nothing in years to come if rugby isn't seen as a viable alternative to GAA in country areas, of course there are small clubs all over connacht but Hurling and Football has a deep rooted hold in county clubs and schools, breaking that hold is a challenge the Connach branch must seize now. it would be great to look out and see young kids throwing a rugby ball around instead of a football or hurley

thats where Munster failed during their highly succesful period, GAA in Kerry was never challenged and other parts of that province.

Leinster have no such concerns as rugby is a popular sport at underage levels and have had some success in promoting rugby outside of Dublin

grassshoots has been around for a while and i see no visible signs of rugby where i live, yes we've a few young players come through but that's not the main reason for our success

sorry a bit off-topic but this has been on my mind for a while.

This video is part of a strategy to tackle exactly what you are talking about.

They are talking about their vision for where they want rugby to be, and are setting hard definitive goals to help them get there.

typhoony wrote: »
    Am i the only one who finds this sugar coated version of rugby in connacht a bit worrying/misleading. All the success of the team means nothing in years to come if rugby isn't seen as a viable alternative to GAA in country areas, of course there are small clubs all over connacht but Hurling and Football has a deep rooted hold in county clubs and schools, breaking that hold is a challenge the Connach branch must seize now. it would be great to look out and see young kids throwing a rugby ball around instead of a football or hurley

Connacht need financial security to do all that and now is the time to get that. They'll never have another season like this, even if they continue to get the results and are challenging for trophies, this is a once in a lifetime season. The interest and momentum is there now and it could be gone again in a few months. As long as the stuff you mention is going on behind the scenes on some level what they're doing with the media/investors shouldn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭typhoony

thats why i'm saying this now, not to end up like munster who had huge support for their team but didnt translate to real change across munster, the phrase 'resting on their laurels' is a very appropriate phrase,otherwise we are just misleading ourselves into thinking we have a growing rugby culture in the province, we need real actions from people on the ground and a push from the branch to bring about change

I agree that there's opportunities to expand the game and that work has been ongoing for a while now with new clubs like an gaeltacht, claremorris, oughterard, ballaghdereen etc popping up across the province.

It's an awfully big ask for Rugby to realistically challenge GAA anywhere in the country so the focus should be on expanding the reach of rugby rather than trying to challenge GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

So a bit of fun partly based on trainning pics
    We're talking about injuries, but there's also plenty of fit talents who are likely not to make it to the final, even in the 23. Good to underline Connacht squad depth.

1) Kenny
    2) Delahunt/JHW
    3) Saba
    4) Roux
    5) Qualter
    6) SOB
    7) Connolly
    8) Naoupu
    9) Cooney
    10) Carty
    11) Carr
    12) Ronaldson
    13) Finn
    14) Poolman
    15) Gaffney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

connachta wrote: »
    So a bit of fun partly based on trainning pics
    We're talking about injuries, but there's also plenty of fit talents who are likely not to make it to the final, even in the 23. Good to underline Connacht squad depth.

1) Kenny
    2) Delahunt/JHW
    3) Saba
    4) Roux
    5) Qualter
    6) SOB
    7) Connolly
    8) Naoupu
    9) Cooney
    10) Carty
    11) Carr
    12) Ronaldson
    13) Finn
    14) Poolman
    15) Gaffney

Surely both will be in the 23

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Yeah, but they could both be frustated not to start. Let's say Blade and Moloney, if you want some talents completely left out.

typhoony wrote: »

thats where Munster failed during their highly succesful period, GAA in Kerry was never challenged and other parts of that province.

Leinster have no such concerns as rugby is a popular sport at underage levels and have had some success in promoting rugby outside of Dublin

grassshoots has been around for a while and i see no visible signs of rugby where i live, yes we've a few young players come through but that's not the main reason for our success

sorry a bit off-topic but this has been on my mind for a while.

It's happening. When I first joined secondary school nearly 15 years ago in the local CBS the principal was an old fashioned lad who wouldn't let us play rugby, we asked to set up a school team and it was a firm no. They were very successful at GAA, and they were his sports, so that's all he allowed. Eventually he retired when I was in 6th year and the next lad in let them set up a rugby team. They won an all Ireland a couple years ago.

Just an anecdote, but I see and hear of similar stories to do with rugby whenever I'm home. The grassroots expansion is underway. Moving a bit slowly, sure, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭seanin4711

nothing re big screen/fan zone in city for semi.
    and now nothing planned for final.
    they really are missing the opportunity here.

whats pat mcdonaghs phone number?
    Fanzone in Sportsground???big screen?
    dare i say it!

do they just do for da GAAAAA?

He's a better wing than Carr ever was, imo. Carr was a lethal finisher but weak in other aspects. Healy has much better vision & distribution (as shown from full back against Grenoble) and despite some people questioning his defence, it's underrated imo, he made a few excellent hits against Glasgow in the last two games.

I accept the argument that exposure to the champions cup can only benefit the players. The woorying thing is that with Joe at the helm it will make no difference. His conservatism is very notable in his selections. Unless there is an injury crisis these players will not see game timeuunder Joe. And its really puzzling that Quinn, who has hardly played a game all year is selected over Aly. I appreciate Quinn is younger but if you want to win games you pick your best players. And don't for one second suggest that Joe is developing talent. That would be ludicrous obviously

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

I accept the argument that exposure to the champions cup can only benefit the players. The woorying thing is that with Joe at the helm it will make no difference. His conservatism is very notable in his selections. Unless there is an injury crisis these players will not see game timeuunder Joe. And its really puzzling that Quinn, who has hardly played a game all year is selected over Aly. I appreciate Quinn is younger but if you want to win games you pick your best players. And don't for one second suggest that Joe is developing talent. That would be ludicrous obviously

Aly is leaving for france, as is madigan. Neither were picked.

I still have 3 tickets in W18 with the rest of the clan.
    Galway based, can meet here Thursday, Glasgow Friday night, or Edinburgh on match day.

PM me if interested.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement