Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Wasn't sure where best to put this. Suppose it highlights the effect Connacht has had on rugby in the region in recent years.

Does anyone here have any idea if that school goes up a grade for winning the development cup or is it tied to school size? A huge guess, but I'd say they have a player pool of 50 at most.

A quick google shows be CBS Roscommon beat SCC (above) in the final last year and are senior this year. It looks like it will be a rude awakening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

typhoony wrote: »
    Am i the only one who finds this sugar coated version of rugby in connacht a bit worrying/misleading. All the success of the team means nothing in years to come if rugby isn't seen as a viable alternative to GAA in country areas, of course there are small clubs all over connacht but Hurling and Football has a deep rooted hold in county clubs and schools, breaking that hold is a challenge the Connach branch must seize now. it would be great to look out and see young kids throwing a rugby ball around instead of a football or hurley
    I don't think there is any sugar coating. Rugby has become a viable alternative in county areas to GAA in many areas. Look at the increase in playing numbers in clubs and new schools competing. The numbers competing in schools leagues/cups and youths cups/leagues is increasing year on year.
    thats where Munster failed during their highly succesful period, GAA in Kerry was never challenged and other parts of that province.

Leinster have no such concerns as rugby is a popular sport at underage levels and have had some success in promoting rugby outside of Dublin

grassshoots has been around for a while and i see no visible signs of rugby where i live, yes we've a few young players come through but that's not the main reason for our success

sorry a bit off-topic but this has been on my mind for a while.
    Munster attempted to take on GAA in Kerry but there has been serious fightback in Kerry and elsewhere. Leinster have done well but Connacht in terms of resources are doing better.... GAA was challenged in Munster but they failed to take proper advantage.
    typhoony wrote: »
    thats why i'm saying this now, not to end up like munster who had huge support for their team but didnt translate to real change across munster, the phrase 'resting on their laurels' is a very appropriate phrase,otherwise we are just misleading ourselves into thinking we have a growing rugby culture in the province, we need real actions from people on the ground and a push from the branch to bring about change
    Munster had real change but messed up in many ways. Playing numbers went up hugely at age grade but it hasn't pushed on to adult level. I don't think you can say there isn't a huge growing rugby culture in Connacht and the branch/Connacht Rugby are doing a fantastic job. I ref/coach in Connacht club(s) and Connacht Rugby staff are very much involved in developing change.

Wasn't sure where best to put this. Suppose it highlights the effect Connacht has had on rugby in the region in recent years.

Does anyone here have any idea if that school goes up a grade for winning the development cup or is it tied to school size? A huge guess, but I'd say they have a player pool of 50 at most.

A quick google shows be CBS Roscommon beat SCC (above) in the final last year and are senior this year. It looks like it will be a rude awakening.
    It is nothing to do with school size and when you are referring to player pool over how many grades are you referring to. CBS Roscommon have progressed hugely in recent years but have lost a few players to bigger schools elsewhere.
    A school will move grades depending on what their coaches feel is most suitable to them and the schools committee agree on a level that they play in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

That's my old secondary school there wasn't a hint of rugby there when finished 12 years ago. Also an underage team in the town won a developmental cup a few days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

As a playing member of a junior rugby club for the last 15 years or so, numbers are on the decline. Lots of teams are finding it hard to field and it is a constant struggle for many clubs to keep on going.

Corinthians couldnt even field a 2nd team this season. Wegians are up to their eyeballs in debt. Olbc have gone from the verge of ulster senior rugby to j2. Corrib and other teams continue to struggle.

Lose loads od players after u20s for a variety of reasons. Its not all sunny at grass roots level

That's my old secondary school there wasn't a hint of rugby there when finished 12 years ago. Also an underage team in the town won a developmental cup a few days later.

Fairly sure the club didn't win a cup. It was the school.

Fairly sure the club didn't win a cup. It was the school.

No the club won something else that week around that time aswell

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Ive a booking in The Inn Place in the center of Edinburgh that im going to have to cancel. Too much family problems going on at the moment to dare go to the match :(

The booking is €300 for a 8 bed dorm, and is for 8 beds. I've it booked on booking.com, but ive no idea if/how this can be transfer'd to someone else.

Ive 12 hours to cancel the booking, so if anyone's interested, PM me. There's a "Change Credit Card details" option on booking.com so that might suffice in changing the booking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Ive a booking in The Inn Place in the center of Edinburgh that im going to have to cancel. Too much family problems going on at the moment to dare go to the match :(

The booking is €300 for a 8 bed dorm, and is for 8 beds. I've it booked on booking.com, but ive no idea if/how this can be transfer'd to someone else.

Ive 12 hours to cancel the booking, so if anyone's interested, PM me. There's a "Change Credit Card details" option on booking.com so that might suffice in changing the booking.

Hi if you go on to the supporters club site www.connachtclan.com theres a thread there for people trying to get accommodation and get rid of same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

any word of the game being shown on a big screen in town?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

As a playing member of a junior rugby club for the last 15 years or so, numbers are on the decline. Lots of teams are finding it hard to field and it is a constant struggle for many clubs to keep on going.

Corinthians couldnt even field a 2nd team this season. Wegians are up to their eyeballs in debt. Olbc have gone from the verge of ulster senior rugby to j2. Corrib and other teams continue to struggle.

Lose loads od players after u20s for a variety of reasons. Its not all sunny at grass roots level
    I don't see decline at some levels. Corinthians dropped their j1s but kept their j2s.
    Boys club have fallen off a cliff. Lost key coach and then players all left after. Not having age grade dosnt help.
    NUIG have regrouped at last and have underage teams and numbers picking up in a very big way,.
    I not saying its very sunny at grassroots but its not that bad either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Number 137

Any word on whether Jacob Walshe, Jamie Dever, Saba Meunargia or Rory Moloney are being kept on now that their three years in the Academy are up?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,867 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

For connacht fans at a loose end at 4pm on Saturday, marnitz boshoff starts for the lions against the bulls ....

No the club won something else that week around that time aswell

What teams does the club even have? Couldn't see anything on connacht site.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

I can't make it to Edinburgh at this late stage, all affordable options are gone, but have a match ticket for the East Stand section 12 Platinum. Row C.
    If anyone is interested PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Anywhere in Dublin for Connacht fans to gather for the match? Remember woolshed being mentioned for one of earlier pro 12 games but hoping for somewhere southside if few were gathering as don't fancy being in place full of Leinster ****heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

mjp wrote: »
    Anywhere in Dublin for Connacht fans to gather for the match? Remember woolshed being mentioned for one of earlier pro 12 games but hoping for somewhere southside if few were gathering as don't fancy being in place full of Leinster ****heads

I can see a fundamental flaw in your plan...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

mjp wrote: »

The Bridge is showing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Their is plenty of reason for that, Ive seen countless lads quitting as they knew they were never getting a game over guys who had their position locked in before pre-season was started, no matter how well they trained the guys who were out on the lash would get picked purely on underage repuation or past(maybe 15 years ago) form
    Werent even getting picked for seconds as it was a dads army situation going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Shane St. wrote: »
    any word of the game being shown on a big screen in town?

thats only for hurling,plus they (the council) are combing the grass for galway2020 or some sh1te like that.
    really missing a huge opportunity not to have a "fanzone" or some such.
    i am really urined off over this lack of foresight!
    nothing for 1st ever semi and possibly slightly more bunting for the final.
    They really are a joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Not trying to get ahead of myself here or jinx the lads, but I imagine there will be a homecoming of some description, no matter the result? I work Mon-Fri in Drogheda and cannot make it over for the match this weekend, so any type of homecoming is something to look forward to! But would it be Sunday/Monday/later in week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭seanin4711

More bunting maybe if they win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

macslash wrote: »
    Not trying to get ahead of myself here or jinx the lads, but I imagine there will be a homecoming of some description, no matter the result? I work Mon-Fri in Drogheda and cannot make it over for the match this weekend, so any type of homecoming is something to look forward to! But would it be Sunday/Monday/later in week?
    The team are flying home saturday night. There won't be many, if any, back in time to give them a homecoming. But I expect the mayor will plan something for maybe Monday.

What teams does the club even have? Couldn't see anything on connacht site.

I dunno an Gaeltacht say goes to u18 just by going of the lads training in the video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Finished my journey to Edinburgh via Glasgow. Since Dublin airport i have seen one Leinster supporter and more than twenty Connacht supporters.

I like them odds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Finished my journey to Edinburgh via Glasgow. Since Dublin airport i have seen one Leinster supporter and more than twenty Connacht supporters.

I like them odds!

Were you on the little Aer Lingus flight too at 6:50?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Anyone else on the 20:20 from Belfast to EDI tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Is there any recommendations for a pub in Limerick to watch the match tomorrow?

Anyone in Dublin looking for a spot to watch the match donnybrook 7s is on and will be showing the match on a big screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Somewhere like Cassidys on Camden st be a good country pub where u won't get your usual Leinster brigade. Be nice to have a place where u know you know we won't be outnumbered and bit of an atmosphere. Can't think of any strong Connacht pubs in Dublin owned by a connacht man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

ki wrote: »
    Is there any recommendations for a pub in Limerick to watch the match tomorrow?
    I'd say Jerry Flannerys would be a decent spot - given Jerry used to don the green of Connacht!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

On way now leg 1 of about 7 parts

Heres my ditty:

Country roads, take me home to the place I belong.
    West galway, mountains of Mayo, take me home, country roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭CailinGaillimh

Oh Jerry Flannery's sounds like a plan. How I wish I could have had the money to head over. Monday will be great, Tuesday painful

The neighbours say hi

CjeILLYXAAAsYTB.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Well nearly time to head for the bus. Just struck me that the Edinburgh pitch is wider than normal and last time we were there we ran in 5 tries. Suppose I'll settle for a win but would love to see Connacht cut loose on Leinster. We're not going to win it off AJs boot and Pat knows this. So no matter what we witness tomorrow it will not be boring. This will indeed be epic. Beware Leinster and witness the awesomeness of the men from the west :-)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ Just like the last two Connacht v Leinster games were hugely entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

GGGGAAAAAAAAMMMMMMEEEEEEE
    DDDDDDDDDAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!

MONTAFOOOK CONNACHT!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭mickc

Where pubs/areas are Connacht fans meeting today?

5.30 is a hell of a long time away! Nerves kicking in here already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭quainy

Skeeyup Connacht!

Should be a good game. Henshaw to score the winner.

Hoping to see TOH get a few good runs, and a good match from dillane, bealham and aki!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Well nearly time to head for the bus. Just struck me that the Edinburgh pitch is wider than normal and last time we were there we ran in 5 tries. Suppose I'll settle for a win but would love to see Connacht cut loose on Leinster. We're not going to win it off AJs boot and Pat knows this. So no matter what we witness tomorrow it will not be boring. This will indeed be epic. Beware Leinster and witness the awesomeness of the men from the west :-)

Last time you were in Edinburgh you weren't facing Leinster. Connacht will struggle to win let alone run in a load of tries!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Boshoff 2 first Super Rugby 2016 minutes : restart : Lions pen, up and under : Lions pen. Great kicking game in open play

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

What a conversion Manitz!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

My nerves won't last the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

awesome stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Something in my eye...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,867 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Extremely well done connacht.

Delight the best rugby won out.

Joe Schmidt with some hard questions to answer this week.

Enjoy, and thank you !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Absolutely brilliant stuff lads. Delighted for ye.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

WarZ wrote: »
    Last time you were in Edinburgh you weren't facing Leinster. Connacht will struggle to win let alone run in a load of tries!

Wow you are on fire today :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement