Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Just home a few hours.

We won!

Yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Zzippy wrote: »
    :confused: Have you never had to explain a shiner from an amateur game to an employer? I'd say it happens on a weekly basis!

I had a broke nose in Toronto, had to work in Starbucks where they all are quiet hipsterish. I had to explain about a thousand times before 10am I hadnt been fighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

There have been a lot of murmuring, many unflattering, and none as far as I know from actual "established" (whatever the **** that is!) Connacht fans, about the "Bandwagon", and how people are hopping onto it.

I just want to go on record as saying that the bandwagon is fu(king great, and should be welcomed. Anything that gets people involved in Connacht rugby, directly or indirectly is great.

Everyone becomes a fan of something at some point and those that go before them should be there to support and welcome.

So if you are a new member of the band wagon, welcome on board, it's fecking deadly, if you are an existing member, squeeze up and make room for a few more. Anything this good should be happily shared.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Always dreamed of a 'bandwagon' at Connacht. Struggled to get my mates to games for years, no such issue now.

Some people will always find something to complain about though.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

On a separate note, really looking forward to the Champions Cup draw. Think it's on Friday 17th June. Fingers crossed for some interesting away days.

Edit: corrected to be the 29th June.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Funk It wrote: »
    Always dreamed of a 'bandwagon' at Connacht. Struggled to get my mates to games for years, no such issue now.

Some people will always find something to complain about though.

We did too well this year, makes it harder for us to achieve more next season :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

On a separate note, really looking forward to the Champions Cup draw. Think it's on Friday 17th June. Fingers crossed for some interesting away days.

Have the final seedings been announced yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

BrokenMan wrote: »

They can't be until the Top 14 is finished and we know who their top teams are. At the moment it's Connacht, Saracens, Top 14 winner plus 2 of Leinster, Exeter, Top14 runner-up in Pot 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

BrokenMan wrote: »

We're top seed and except Zebre any teams are top teams! Who cares if it's Montpellier, Toulon or Clermont : same level, same great games to come! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

There have been a lot of murmuring, many unflattering, and none as far as I know from actual "established" (whatever the **** that is!) Connacht fans, about the "Bandwagon", and how people are hopping onto it.

I just want to go on record as saying that the bandwagon is fu(king great, and should be welcomed. Anything that gets people involved in Connacht rugby, directly or indirectly is great.

Everyone becomes a fan of something at some point and those that go before them should be there to support and welcome.

So if you are a new member of the band wagon, welcome on board, it's fecking deadly, if you are an existing member, squeeze up and make room for a few more. Anything this good should be happily shared.:D

I would agree that the more that get involved with supporting Connacht the better. The thing I don't like is I've seen people at marquee away trips that have never set foot in the sportsground in their life. These are the people that can frankly stay off the badwagon IMO. They are the facebook check-in people who go to say they've been rather than actually follow the team IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

evil_seed wrote: »
    I would agree that the more that get involved with supporting Connacht the better. The thing I don't like is I've seen people at marquee away trips that have never set foot in the sportsground in their life. These are the people that can frankly stay off the badwagon IMO. They are the facebook check-in people who go to say they've been rather than actually follow the team IMO

Who are they hurting though? Are they taking tickets from fans that would have otherwise travelled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

evil_seed wrote: »

I know people who live in Dublin and it's easier and cheaper for them to do a night in Glasgow or Edinburgh. Maybe go to Italy than it is to do the home games.

I moved to Dublin this year and it's broken my wallet going down the whole time.

It's easy to say they're not proper fans or proper bandwagoners but the fact they are talking about the team, cheering them on where ever they are and all that can only be good. I don't think it's stopped anyone going to any matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

I know people who live in Dublin and it's easier and cheaper for them to do a night in Glasgow or Edinburgh. Maybe go to Italy than it is to do the home games.

I moved to Dublin this year and it's broken my wallet going down the whole time.

It's easy to say they're not proper fans or proper bandwagoners but the fact they are talking about the team, cheering them on where ever they are and all that can only be good. I don't think it's stopped anyone going to any matches.

Hear hear. I'll echo the cost of commuting down for games from dub. Galway accommodation is pricey if you don't fancy hostels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Anyone who goes to any game and cheers for Connacht is very welcome IMO. All aboard the bandwagon!

Anyone who goes to any game and cheers for Connacht is very welcome IMO. All aboard the bandwagon!
    BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    BOO!

BBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

agreed, but I will admit to understanding evilseed... me and my daughter go to all the home games and most of the inter-pros. However can't really afford to go abroad, and have not since Biarritz a few years ago. There is a neighbour of mine and he's goes quite regularly, but he also goes to all the home games and I'm thrilled for him.
    There is another local whom I don't think I've ever seen in the sports ground, but he has been to all the big away games. He likes to be at the big away games and can afford to travel.
    I will admit to resenting the little bollix a bit as he tells war stories about his travels abroad with the team.....but my feelings could be influenced by the fact that he has aways been a little showoff bollix, regardless of his rugby followings...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Murray Kinsella tweeted earlier draw has been confirmed for June 29.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Didn't know much about Peter Robb so decided to do a Youtube search to see if there was any clips of him playing. Turns out there's more to him than meets the eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

The only away game I have been to is the final. Havnt missed one home game this year, and only averaged missing about two a year for the four before that. What wagon do I get in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

CM24 wrote: »
    Didn't know much about Peter Robb so decided to do a Youtube search to see if there was any clips of him playing. Turns out there's more to him than meets the eye.

Thats Bull**** and poorly researched.

Hes never been to Brazil !!

lostboy75 wrote: »
    The only away game I have been to is the final. Havnt missed one home game this year, and only averaged missing about two a year for the four before that. What wagon do I get in?

Could I suggest the "Lucky B@stard" Wagon sir?
    (see I pulled that off without even a hint of envy, didn't I? :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I barely escaped with my life when I joked to some friends that they should stay close to the bus in case they got lost on the way to the Sportsground. It went down like a Kearney brother after an Ultan Dillane carry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

never mind those bandwagon players that have flooded pat lams inbox with their cv's after this weekend. off with them I say :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

this is what made me fall in love with Peter Robb, and I don't even think he was affiliated with Connacht at the time. Think he was in Leinster sub-academy, got injured and missed JWC and Connacht took him into their academy (could be wrong)

Yup, but ya know what, you don't even need to go to any games to be welcome. I've cousins abroad (Canada, Finland, America) who proudly wear their old replica jersey's.

I've older family members who can't go to games anymore as they physically can't stand in the Terrace for duration of a match (it's why I'm so adamant we need Seating area in the Sportsground)

I know people who watch them on TV simply because they prefer watching matches live on TV than attend- while I don't get that personally they would shoot you in face if you refered to them as "not a real fan". :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Yup, but ya know what, you don't even need to go to any games to be welcome. I've cousins abroad (Canada, Finland, America) who proudly wear their old replica jersey's.

I've older family members who can't go to games anymore as they physically can't stand in the Terrace for duration of a match (it's why I'm so adamant we need Seating area in the Sportsground)

I know people who watch them on TV simply because they prefer watching matches live on TV than attend- while I don't get that personally they would shoot you in face if you refered to them as "not a real fan". :P

Look we all know the rules. If you wear a jersey that is newer than last season's you are a bandwagoner fake fan. However if you also do not buy a new jersey every season you are not a real fan.

It's an obvious requirement that every REAL fan must buy a jersey every year and then put them into storage until they are old and cool enough to be worn at games. They are only permitted to be worn at a) training or b) holiday attire in non-traditional rugby nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

wp_rathead wrote: »
    this is what made me fall in love with Peter Robb
    and therein lies my problem with you wp_rathead. you cant be falling in love with players. Its simply not appropriate

Thoughts on whether there will be any more additions to the squad for next season? That rumoured 2nd row would be very useful. If it's happening would expect it to be announced in the next week or so? Will Boshoff arrive after super 18 or has he itm cup commitments?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

In all seriousness I know a few ex-season ticket holders who just couldn't stand for the length of a game anymore and stopped buying one who would snap up season tickets to a seated area. I also know people who missed out on buying a season ticket because they were sold out. If there is anything that can be done to increase capacity before next season it should be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Thoughts on whether there will be any more additions to the squad for next season? That rumoured 2nd row would be very useful. If it's happening would expect it to be announced in the next week or so? Will Boshoff arrive after super 18 or has he itm cup commitments?

You would think a couple of signings would be announced this week as it's getting very late. Hopefully he doesn't and gets time to settle and get some pre-season in.
    Bundee didn't have a great season last year after playing super rugby and ITM.

• Advertisement

Lads I'm rewatching the game and I've just had a great idea. Let's pop a 10 year contract in front of Bundee late one night this week while they're celebrating!

The IRFU are onside. The fans players and coaches have done everything they possibly could do to convince him to stay.

It's all up to Bundee now.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby
    [font=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif]Nucifora explained that they were aware of the interest internationally in Connacht s Bundee Aki but should the player indicate that he wants to play international rugby with Ireland, the union would move swiftly to extend his contract that is up next summer.

[/font]
    [font=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif]Aki qualifies for Ireland on the three-year residency rule in October next year.[/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The IRFU are onside. The fans players and coaches have done everything they possibly could do to convince him to stay.

It's all up to Bundee now.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby

[font=Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif]Nucifora explained that they were aware of the interest internationally in Connacht s Bundee Aki but should the player indicate that he wants to play international rugby with Ireland, the union would move swiftly to extend his contract that is up next summer.[/font]

Excellent news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Just wondering does anyone know where I can still buy this seasons home jersey? Wasn't going to get it as I have enough Connacht jerseys but for sentimental reasons I'm going to try to now.

PS I've been a season ticket holder for years in case people think I'm jumping on a bandwagon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

^^^^ This. It wouldn't have been much of a home coming if just the 3/4000 hardcore long term fans had turned up in Eyre Square. Success breeds success and more people will naturally take an interest now as Sunday showed. That means more kids taking up the game in Connacht, more shirts sold, more people through the gates and more revenue. How can that be a bad thing?

The S.G. is a fairly bleak place when its half empty in the depths of a wet dark November night. If its full and rocking next season it will be a bloody great thing. Welcome aboard new shirt wearing, rules clueless, fresh faced bandwagoners. You'll get a friendly welcome, the shirt will get old and stained from dodgy burgers and pints, ask someone what happened if you don't understand the play and the Galway weather will knock the fresh face off ya after 2 games!

Redo91 wrote: »
    Just wondering does anyone know where I can still buy this seasons home jersey? Wasn't going to get it as I have enough Connacht jerseys but for sentimental reasons I'm going to try to now.

PS I've been a season ticket holder for years in case people think I'm jumping on a bandwagon!

I can't believe that people now feel they need to reassure they are not jumping on the bandwagon

Anyway I was similar to you, I got the European Jersey this year, I checked Lifestyle and Elvereys and both were sold out online. My GF was in Elvereys Eyre square on Saturday and the only ring they had left with Connacht on it was a key ring. There's an English rugby site, Lovell I think it's called, which may have some left

So Bundee will be the first Connacht player with a central contract!

b.gud wrote: »
    I can't believe that people now feel they need to reassure they are not jumping on the bandwagon

Anyway I was similar to you, I got the European Jersey this year, I checked Lifestyle and Elvereys and both were sold out online. My GF was in Elvereys Eyre square on Saturday and the only ring they had left with Connacht on it was a key ring. There's an English rugby site, Lovell I think it's called, which may have some left

I checked Lovell already but nothing left there. Only place I found it was on the BLK website but it was $130 there so I'm guessing that's full price in euros. Not the end of the world if I can't get it but would be a nice jersey to have all the same. Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

The only genuine bandwagoner I hate is someone who supported Munster during their glory years, then suddenly became a Leinster fan, and who was probably in Edinburgh last Saturday cheering on Connacht or have switched to supporting them now. You will see them wearing the Connacht jersey from now on and at all the glamorous Champions Cup away fixtures.

I'd have far more time for someone who never watched a rugby match before in their lives but are now supporting Connacht after last Saturday. At least they don't chop and change who they support.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ckeng

Redo91 wrote: »
    I checked Lovell already but nothing left there. Only place I found it was on the BLK website but it was $130 there so I'm guessing that's full price in euros. Not the end of the world if I can't get it but would be a nice jersey to have all the same. Thanks for the reply.

I think sportsdirect have them

• Advertisement

ckeng wrote: »

In Med / Large
    http://ie.sportsdirect.com/SearchResults?DescriptionFilter=connacht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Somebody's put together a Matt Healy 15/16 highlight real. Some lovely viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Bazzo wrote: »
    Somebody's put together a Matt Healy 15/16 highlight real. Some lovely viewing

Jeez if there was an assist chart Tiernan would be a mile ahead going by that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

The only genuine bandwagoner I hate is someone who supported Munster during their glory years, then suddenly became a Leinster fan, and who was probably in Edinburgh last Saturday cheering on Connacht or have switched to supporting them now. You will see them wearing the Connacht jersey from now on and at all the glamorous Champions Cup away fixtures.

I'd have far more time for someone who never watched a rugby match before in their lives but are now supporting Connacht after last Saturday. At least they don't chop and change who they support.

I know of a large group of people from own area in Connacht who is/were diehard Munster fans. Every year decked out in their new Munster jersey/jacket/polo shirt. I did challenge them regularly about where they lived and where their from and having their own pro team up the road. I was met with some friendly abuse and then statements "shur dere useless" or "I wouldn't cross the road to see dem lot over the mighty Munster!!!"

I laughed on Saturday night when a photo appeared on FB of a group of these "Cunster" Fans all decked out in their new Connacht jerseys cheering on the team in Murrayfield. These are the type of fans I cannot stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

Does anyone know when the new Connacht academy recruits will be announced for 2016-17? I'm always interested to see the split between local lads and those coming in from the other provinces. This year should be interesting.

ckeng wrote: »

Thanks a million! I had a look on sportsdirect earlier and couldn't see them for some reason. Just ordered it there. I really appreciate the help! :)

Good piece on how Connacht survived at scrum time against Leinster despite being far second best in the area. Essentially relied on getting it in & out as quickly as possible, managed to do it in one second in one case.

http://www.the42.ie/leinster-connacht-scrum-analysis-2-2798122-Jun2016/

Does anyone know when the new Connacht academy recruits will be announced for 2016-17? I'm always interested to see the split between local lads and those coming in from the other provinces. This year should be interesting.

Mid July last year so could be a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Very soon. The launch of the Strategic plan was in NUIG tonight and it was said that it will be in next few weeks.

• Advertisement

When about the new lock?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement