Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

connachta wrote: »
    When about the new lock?

Or any mention of any more signings for next season.

XXIII for first day of next season (assume no injuries)?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

1. Buckley
    2. McCartney
    3. Bealham
    4. Dillane
    5. Roux
    6. Muldoon
    7. Heenan / Fox-Matamua
    8. McKeon

9. Marmion
    10. Boshoff

11. Healy
    12. Aki
    13. Griffin
    14. Niyi
    15. O'Halloran

16. Heffernan
    17. Loughney
    18. White
    19. Browne
    20. Sean O'Brien
    21. Cooney
    22. Carty
    23. Robb

Based on the assumptions that no new second row arrives and Griffin/Boshoff settle in quickly. A lot of close calls in the back row and not-quite-first-choice backs. Without injuries, there's a lot of interesting options to vary the game plan. I think playing two out-and-out sevens could be profitable at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Robbo wrote: »
    1. Buckley
    2. McCartney
    3. Bealham
    4. Dillane
    5. Roux
    6. Muldoon
    7. Heenan / Fox-Matamua
    8. McKeon / Masterson

9. Marmion
    10. Boshoff

11. Healy
    12. Aki / Ronaldson
    13. Griffin / Aki
    14. Niyi
    15. O'Halloran

16. Heffernan
    17. Loughney
    18. White
    19. Browne
    20. Sean O'Brien
    21. Cooney
    22. Carty
    23. Robb

Based on the assumptions that no new second row arrives and Griffin/Boshoff settle in quickly. A lot of close calls in the back row and not-quite-first-choice backs. Without injuries, there's a lot of interesting options to vary the game plan. I think playing two out-and-out sevens could be profitable at times.

I don't think 8 will be as clear cut as you had it and having a good distributor at 12 will be needed so I can see Pats preferred Ronaldson and Aki starting in the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

1. Buckley
    2. McCartney
    3. Bealham
    4. Dillane
    5. Roux
    6. Muldoon
    7. Heenan / Fox-Matamua
    8. McKeon

9. Marmion
    10. Boshoff

11. Healy
    12. Aki
    13. Griffin
    14. Niyi
    15. O'Halloran

16. Heffernan
    17. Loughney
    18. White
    19. Browne
    20. Sean O'Brien
    21. Cooney
    22. Carty
    23. Robb

Agree with the last part
    What I'd really like to see is

1. Buckley
    2. McCartney
    3. Bealham
    4. Dillane
    5. The new Kiwi
    6. Nepia-Fox
    7. Heenan
    8. Sean O'Brien/Masterson

9. Marmion
    10. Boshoff

11. Healy
    12. Aki
    13. Griffin/Parata
    14. Niyi
    15. O'Halloran

16. Heffernan
    17. Carey
    18. J.P Cooney
    19. Roux
    20. Muldoon/McKeon
    21. Cooney
    22. Carty
    23. Robb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Agree with the last part

1. Buckley
    2. McCartney
    3. Bealham
    4. Dillane
    5. The new Kiwi
    6. Nepia-Fox
    7. Heenan

9. Marmion
    10. Boshoff

11. Healy
    12. Aki
    13. Griffin/Parata
    14. Niyi
    15. O'Halloran

16. Heffernan
    17. Carey
    18. J.P Cooney
    19. Roux
    20. Muldoon/McKeon
    21. Cooney
    22. Carty
    23. Robb

Muldoon will almost certainly be starting, I can see SOB at 6 and Muldoon at 8. Masterson is injured til December don't forget.

I can also Ronaldson being at 12 to fulfill the role of a playmaker outside Boshoff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

5. The new Kiwi

Eh? A new signing?

Also: I was under the impression that Connacht's exemption on the NIQ quota was coming to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Bazzo wrote: »
    Muldoon will almost certainly be starting, I can see SOB at 6 and Muldoon at 8. Masterson is injured til December don't forget.

I can also Ronaldson being at 12 to fulfill the role of a playmaker inside Boshoff

Agreed. Ronaldson starts in pole position to partner Aki justifiably so, excellent season.

Muldoon is playing possibly the best rugby of his career, he'll be starting.

Eh? A new signing?

Also: I was under the impression that Connacht's exemption on the NIQ quota was coming to an end.

McCartney, Aki, Nepia, Boshoff will be the niqs/projects for next season. Aren't Ulster at 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Eh? A new signing?
    A rumour that's been mentioned on this thread a few times but there hasn't been anything confirmed
    I hadn't heard that but could very well be true. What exactly are the rules? Next season as it stands we have NIQ: Boshoff. Project: Aki, McCartney, Fox-Matamua that seems less than some teams, *cough* Ulster *cough* ;)

• Advertisement

Agree with the last part

1. Buckley
    2. McCartney
    3. Bealham
    4. Dillane
    5. The new Kiwi
    6. Nepia-Fox
    7. Heenan

9. Marmion
    10. Boshoff

11. Healy
    12. Aki
    13. Griffin/Parata
    14. Niyi
    15. O'Halloran

16. Heffernan
    17. Carey
    18. J.P Cooney
    19. Roux
    20. Muldoon/McKeon
    21. Cooney
    22. Carty
    23. Robb

I can also Ronaldson being at 12 to fulfill the role of a playmaker outside Boshoff

I know for Masterson, That's why I put him after the Slash, to come in for SOB starting December.
    I've guessed Muldoon not starting would make you unhappy. But it's not because he was captain and had a good season, that you have to ignore the competitors. Heenan and Fox are just brillant players who can alternate openside and blindside, I want them both for 6 and 7. And for n 8 it's a very tight call between Masterson SOB McKeon and Muldoon, and I'd pick the two guys quoted first TBH. My opinion.

Ronaldson is a tight call too, but Aki seems nailed to the 12 channel and we have more useful talents for 13 to pair with him (Griffin, Parata, Kelleher, Brennan)

• Moderators Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Look we all know the rules. If you wear a jersey that is newer than last season's you are a bandwagoner fake fan. However if you also do not buy a new jersey every season you are not a real fan.

It's an obvious requirement that every REAL fan must buy a jersey every year and then put them into storage until they are old and cool enough to be worn at games. They are only permitted to be worn at a) training or b) holiday attire in non-traditional rugby nations.

You know how I know i'm not jumping on the bandwagon?

Ian Keatley is sponsored by Tamarind :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

You know how I know i'm not jumping on the bandwagon?

Ian Keatley is sponsored by Tamarind :D

Was it just me that felt a little sad for a player when he scored a try and his name was called out, but he wasn't high profile enough to have his own sponser......

I know for Masterson, That's why I put him after the Slash, to come in for SOB starting December.
    I've guessed Muldoon not starting would make you unhappy. But it's not because he was captain and had a good season, that you have to ignore the competitors. Heenan and Fox are just brillant players who can alternate openside and blindside, I want them both for 6 and 7. And for n 8 it's a very tight call between Masterson SOB McKeon and Muldoon, and I'd pick the two guys quoted first TBH. My opinion.

Muldoon was one of Connachts players of the season, won Forward of the season and has been outstanding. He's a guaranteed starter. I can't recall fox or heenan playing many games at 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Muldoon was one of Connachts players of the season, won Forward of the season and has been outstanding. He's a guaranteed starter. I can't recall fox or heenan playing many games at 6.

I think while faloon was in situ we went into a game with Heenan at 6 and Faloon at 7 which worked quite well iirc.

Certainly worth a look at some point but if Muldoon keeps his form he will remain the first name on the team sheet

From what I read from lams interviewd about the boshoff signing he seems to be someone that will played constantly during the winter for his kicking game. If so we may see carty play some of the games in sept.
    My team

Buckley
    McCartney
    Bealham
    Ultan
    Browne
    SOB
    Heenan
    Muldoon
    Marmion
    Carty
    Healy
    Ronaldson
    Aki
    Adeolokun
    Toh

Delahunt
    Loughney
    White
    Roux
    McKeon
    Cooney
    Boshoff
    Leader

Yeah Heenan was tested here against Ulster or Leinster 2 years ago but severely injured himself. Was promising, and if Fox confirm his level I hope Pat will try this again. Fox is described as potential blindside too, he has the profile to carry strong!

That's the combo of the future with Masterson/SOB as n 8

Healy and O'Halloran travel, fitting reward for their performances this season.

Deserved!
    If you look carefully, Connacht players have a chance to get parity with the other provinces for RWC 2019 squad

The following players have a fair chance, with their age and their qualities

1) Buckley (29 in 2019)
    2) McCartney (IQ, 33-34 in Sept 2019)
    3) Bealham (29)
    4) Roux (30)
    5) Dillane (26)
    6) SOB 2.0 (24)
    7) Heenan (IQ 28) Fox Matamua (IQ 28)
    8) Masterson (26)
    9) Marmion (26)
    11) Healy (30)
    12) Aki (IQ, 29)
    14) Adeolokun (29)
    15) TOH (28)

That's 13/14 guys with REAL probabilities, they can make it. Even Niyi/Matt, with current backline ageing fast, same for Tom and the 3 current hookers.
    I don't even talk about outside chances (Robb/Parata, Poolman, Ronaldson/Carty -because not many competitors-, J.Cooney, Conan O'Donnell...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

From what I can tell in backrow we are looking at:
    Muldoon - 6/8
    Heenan - 7
    Connolly - 7/6
    Masterson - 8/7/6
    Fox - 7/6
    SOB- 6/8
    McKeon - 8/6/7

Looking at TOH and Healy call ups I'm happy for them but it's a shame it was for injury cover (wish speedy recovery for all involved) and not there on merits over Rob and Luke/Dave

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Healy and O'Halloran travel, fitting reward for their performances this season.
    Has Joe no regard for the table plans at Ronan Loughney's wedding this weekend? Some maiden aunt is going to end up sitting beside Rodney.

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »
    From what I can tell in backrow we are looking at:
    Muldoon - 6/8
    Heenan - 7/6
    Connolly - 6/7
    Masterson - 8/7/6
    Fox - 7/6
    SOB- 6/8/5
    McKeon - 8/6/7

In Bold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

In Bold

Is SOB tall enough to play lock? He's seems to be approx. 6'4 or so, and I wouldn't be sure he has the bulk either?

O'Brien isn't a second row for me - his frame doesn't seem like he can bulk up too much more and stay as mobile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Deserved!
    If you look carefully, Connacht players have a chance to get parity with the other provinces for RWC 2019 squad

1) Buckley (29 in 2019)
    3) Bealham (29)
    4) Roux (30)
    5) Dillane (26)
    6) SOB 2.0 (24)
    8) Masterson (26)
    9) Marmion (26)
    11) Healy (30)
    12) Aki (IQ, 29)
    14) Adeolokun (29)
    15) TOH (28)

That's 13/14 guys with REAL probabilities, they can make it. Even Niyi/Matt, with current backline ageing fast, same for Tom and the 3 current hookers.
    I don't even talk about outside chances (Robb/Parata, Poolman, Ronaldson/Carty -because not many competitors-, J.Cooney, Conan O'Donnell...)

Ah will ya shhhtop!!!! We'll have no players left during the WC and lose all our matches!

Apparently IGB want €8m as buyout for their half of the lease of Sportsground ..

In Bold

Is SOB tall enough to play lock? He's seems to be approx. 6'4 or so, and I wouldn't be sure he has the bulk either?

Just as back-up ; the order 6/8/5 matters ;)

In Bold

Just as back-up ; the order 6/8/5 matters ;)

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Apparently IGB want €8m as buyout for their half of the lease of Sportsground ..

Interesting. Is that reported or you just hear it?

I wonder if Pat Mcdonagh or the Comer Brothers would like to purchase naming rights, stand or whatever!

Be great to stay at the Sportsground and have the flexibility to develop as needed.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Deserved!

1) Buckley (29 in 2019)
    3) Bealham (29)
    4) Roux (30)
    5) Dillane (26)
    6) SOB 2.0 (24)
    8) Masterson (26)
    9) Marmion (26)
    11) Healy (30)
    12) Aki (IQ, 29)
    14) Adeolokun (29)
    15) TOH (28)

Ah will ya shhhtop!!!! We'll have no players left during the WC and lose all our matches!

That's the other side of the coin for glory :D

• Advertisement

Interesting. Is that reported or you just hear it?

I wonder if Pat Mcdonagh or the Comer Brothers would like to purchase naming rights, stand or whatever!

Be great to stay at the Sportsground and have the flexibility to develop as needed.

Someone on Clan Fourm so take with pinch of salt :P
    Apparently Connacht offered €5m but would keep dog track to allow IGB use it - rather pointless really spending €5m and having hands tied
    If anyone has a spare €3m lying around let the branch know!

He played lock underage didn't he? He'd be grand for cover I'd say, similar to Naoupu.

He played lock underage didn't he? He'd be grand for cover I'd say, similar to Naoupu.

That's my exactly my thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

That's my exactly my thought

I'm going off the heights and weights on the website so I'm not sure if they are accurate but he's an inch shorter than George and apparently 16kgs lighter! Additionally he played at 8 for Roscrea no? He has the makings of a very good 6 so I would argue that he might as well be kept as a 6/8.

Danny Qualter needs to show improvement, he certainly has the build for 2nd row, and then I don't know about Cian Romaine or any of the other lads in the academy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

But playing 2nd row at age grade is very different and he played back row more often not at age grade.
    He's an inch or two shorter and a good bit lighter than Naoupu....
    He's better off in backrow IMO...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Depending on how long the lease is 8m is potentially a good deal

• Advertisement

freyners wrote: »
    Depending on how long the lease is 8m is potentially a good deal

its a 99 year lease and they aren't that long into it

its a 99 year lease and they aren't that long into it
    Doing a little digging on this and I have a couple of leads which suggest that they're 1/3 of the way through that lease.

Doing a little digging on this and I have a couple of leads which suggest that they're 1/3 of the way through that lease.

which would work out at a cost of around €120k a year if you were to spread the €8M over the next 66 years.

Obviously there would need to be a lot of things considered but for that location that seems like a good deal for Connacht

• Advertisement

I'll have some more information at some point next week, which will hopefully include more details of the leasehold interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'll have some more information at some point next week, which will hopefully include more details of the leasehold interests.

If you focus on the leasehold interests Billy will focus on the leash-hold interests (IE go out and dognap a few prized greyhounds and hold them ransom until they hand over the ground)

Leinster 12
    Ulster 9
    Connacht 7
    Munster 5

8 each for RWC 2019 ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

If you focus on the leasehold interests Billy will focus on the leash-hold interests (IE go out and dognap a few prized greyhounds and hold them ransom until they hand over the ground)

I like that plan much :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Doesn't this imply that Connacht are sub-letting from the IGB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Nathan White retirement on medical grounds

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

evil_seed wrote: »

Gutted for him, if that's the case. It has been a pleasure to have him play in Ireland for the last 5 or so years. He has had a massively successful time here and I wish him all the best.

Few players come here for such a short time and leave with a Pro12 winners medal, a HEC winners medal and qualifying for Ireland and picking up 13 caps in just 8 months.

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Gutted for him, if that's the case. It has been a pleasure to have him play in Ireland for the last 5 or so years. He has had a massively successful time here and I wish him all the best.

Few players come here for such a short time and leave with a Pro12 winners medal, a HEC winners medal and qualifying for Ireland and picking up 13 caps in just 8 months.

Pity he didn't turn up in Ireland years before he did! After a lot of injuries and at his age (35 in September) he was coming to the end of his career.

I don't see this reported anywhere?

Really? Well ****. Gutted for him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement